1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2023 | Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Feb 28, 2022.

1. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Bye bye watching live qualifying, 4:50 is way too early for me...

2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

A: What is the points payout structure of this "sprint race", and B: Are we degenerates on the Beeb going to bet on it?

BigBird likes this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

I was thinking how it would effect our game.

It could be something we add, maybe score both with the same lineup, OR just keep it to the main race.

4. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Half race distance, half the points. I am not sure how you get 25/2 into a whole number. I suspect they will re-normalize the full Sunday race by multiplying x 2 and leave the sprint race like current Sunday scoring.
    Bet on it? What do you think? For Fantasy league, I presume we add the races, and score like we do. As far as weekly winners we could decide both, one, or zero.

5. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Per Dorna, the sprint race point structure is below:

1st - 12
    2nd - 9
    3rd - 7
    4th - 6
    5th - 5
    6th - 4
    7th - 3
    8th - 2
    9th - 1

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I can't wait until the Rossi fanatics realize what this garbage is going to do to the records. All of a sudden, all the motherfuckers will be joining me. :D

BigBird likes this.
  7. dsapsis

Interesting. Not quite half at the top and then increasingly non-linear as you descend the order, with the last six positions getting nil.
    At this point, I am not sure what to think of adding in this race, but I do like this points structure.

8. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Same as WSBK currently uses for superpole races.

9. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

i like the new schedule. i watch friday live then on demand so idc about live times too much. At COTA i will enjoy the extra race and 30 mins is plenty enough time to get a snack or a cold one and make it back for the sprint race. AND its just more opportunity that someone will stick around and watch MotoAmerica SBK.

BigBird likes this.
  10. Shocker

Even though Dorna said that there would be a seperate category for sprint races in the record books, it wont stop the announcers from lumping in sprint race wins into the total "career premier class wins" stats they put up.

I would imagine the Rossi fanatics will be cheering for this new system whem they find out someone can eclipse Marc's 2018 season points record without needing as dominant of a season like Marc had.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think they'll be more concerned with Marquez quickly making his way into the triple digits if Honda delivers a 1/2 decent bike in the near future.

badmoon692008 and BigBird like this.
  12. dsapsis

You mean 2014?

13. Shocker

Actually, I meant 2019. Marc scored 420 points that year. Marc scored 362 in 2014. Lorenzo had the record at 383 points before that.

14. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

So as soon as you realize you are not top ten you slow and wait to torpedo your teammate's primary rival?

Why be on the track if there are no points to be had.

This is so dumb.

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

so weird not a top 10, but a top 9

16. Dan Dubeau

Surely they're adjusting the engine rules too no? Should get another one (or 2) to complete the year, if you've got to beat on it for another half race. I can see some teams using this for some strategic advantages too, I wouldn't be surprised to see some pit stops/setting changes for those running near the back and out of points, and to see those riders doing much better on Sunday (provided same conditions). It's another importunity to practice/nail setup too. Unless they make rules prohibiting that.

My initial thoughts were to shit on the idea, because it sounded stupid, but more racing is never a bad thing. Just wish they were longer, and not shorter. Including a pitstop, Tire change, and a re fuel also. Riders/teams probably wouldn't agree with me though. :D

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

As a matter of fact, they are not. They have reduced practice. Overall track time is supposed to be the same.

18. Dan Dubeau

Interesting. I wonder if we'll see some teams pulling out after a few laps to conserve engines, or stick it out for data. With only 9 points paying positions, if you're out, you're out.

Honestly I wonder how engines hold up over the year regardless. Aside from Yamaha last year? (was it last year or the year before?) I can't remember the last time one went pop.

19. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

You guys do realize this little experiment regarding sprint races has been going on for years in world superbike right?

20. Dan Dubeau

Ya, I always thought it made even less sense there, as they already had double races on the weekend. I have no idea how it's worked out, as honestly, I haven't kept up on WSBK since Nicky died :(