1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2023 | Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Feb 28, 2022.

1. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I agree except that this is for a team which is looking for an immediate showing, not for the long term. The talking heads made a point that if a seat opened up today, CB may be the best ass to put in it, to keep the team, sponsors and Dorna all happy.
    Personally, I think (hope) that CB would surprise some people and get some decent results. I don't really see him on the podium.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Quattro was not doing so hot in Moto2 either, and here he is MotoGP Champion. Casey Stoner also didn't set the world on fire in the lower ranks, so Boobs may actually be the right rider

Quicktoy likes this.
  3. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Yea what the fuck is going on with Frankie?

4. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

He came on so strong end of 2020 and then knee probs last year but since his bike cartwheeled over Rossi and Mav’s heads at RedBull Ring, he hasn’t been the same. Rossi wasn’t either imho.

BigBird and Robby-Bobby like this.
  5. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Also, I see another Asian moving up soon.

the one we have now isn’t producing. And hasn’t been.

Quicktoy likes this.
  6. Quicktoy

Oh yea. Two awesome ones in Moto2.

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

FTFY

8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Except that with very few exceptions, nobody seems to have a shelf life longer than 2 years or so. Give them 1 year to learn the ropes... 2nd year they better be on fire or they're out. Seems to be the new thinking in MotoGP. JL99 and MM93 set those standards. I think the factories are just looking for a couple years of sizzle. There have been so many guys just hanging on, mailing it in lately...

9. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

How many guys have been kicked after only 2 years, not many…

10. Quicktoy

I think Redding and lowes only did 2-3 years in recent history. Trying to think who else.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

Most of the Moto2 world champs didn't last more than a couple of years after entering GP

motion likes this.
  12. Quicktoy

Ya Bradl was another.

13. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Bradl had a full time ride for six years. All the moto2 champs have lasted well longer than 2 years.

ShadowBoxer likes this.
  14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

What I really meant, but failed to convey, is that I think teams have recognized that a lot of these guys start mailing the check in every weekend if they don't make an immediate impact. I wonder if the teams are starting to look at riders as 2-3 year projects, rather than long term investments. In that sense, I don't think Cam is too old.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Luthi, Simeon, Savadori...

Quicktoy likes this.
  16. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

And at least 2 of them probably shouldn’t had a ride to start with, the third one is debatable but writing was on the walk before the season started.

17. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

Feels like a bit of a stretch. If they want an immediate showing they probably wouldn't select a rookie, instead they'd hunt for a proven rider as almost every MotoGP rider contract expires this year. And if they went for a rookie, one has to assume that rookie would be an Italian to keep their Italian title sponsor (that demanded an Italian rider) happy.

18. The Great One

Fabio and Stoner are anomalies. Take a look at the top 3-5 in the championship for the last decade. Beyond Stoner and Fabio, all of those guys produced in Moto2/250cc.

Bagnaia, Miller, Zarco, Mir, Morbidelli, Rins, Dovizioso, Pol Espargaro, Vinales, Marc Marquez, Rossi, Pedrosa, Lorenzo, Iannone, Bautista; all of those guys had credible resumes when they got the MotoGP call.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
  19. The Great One

Thats an interesting take considering 17 of the 19 non-rookie riders in the class today have been in MotoGP for more than two years.

The only guys that haven't are Bastianini and Martin, and neither of them are getting kicked out of the class any time soon.

20. The Great One

Every Moto2 champion:

Elias - Spent years in GP before returning to Moto2; won the title and went to WSBK.
    Bradl - 5 years (full time)
    Marc Marquez - 10+ years
    Pol Espargaro - 9+ years
    Tito Rabat - 5 years
    Zarco - 6+ years
    Morbidelli - 5+ years
    Bagnaia - 4+ years
    Alex Marquez - 3+ years
    Bastianini - 2+ years
    Gardner - Rookie

So only Toni Elias...

badmoon692008 likes this.