1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2019 | Round 15 | Buriram | Thailand | Oct 4 - 6

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Sep 30, 2019.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

+1000 well said

Hasn't he dominated since the moment he set foot in the GP paddock? I'll have to go back and look at his early days to jog my memory.

Edit: His first 2 years in 125cc were definitely not dominant. Looks like it took him a couple years to find his form.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  2. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Yes but he was about 12 years old then.

MachineR1, motion and BigBird like this.
  3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Yeah, he won his first 125GP race at 15 years old. Nutz.

BigBird likes this.
  4. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

The Moscarpone Mousse is the dessert you want at his restaurant. Trust me.

5. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

6. ShadowBoxer

ShadowBoxer Well-Known Member

I think at some point Yamaha is going to have to abandon the I4 because that configuration doesn’t seem to be able to match the horsepower of the V4. Suzuki at some point will get back in the game and bring back the GSV-R if they want to be competitive at the majority of tracks. These new track tracks which seem to be on the calendar more than old school tracks just doesn’t suit the I4 anymore. There’s truth in the saying of fighting fire with fire...

7. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Yeah, well, Rossi didn't compile those amazing stats against Marquez. Marquez, on the other hand, compiled every one of his against Rossi.

Now, just for fun, let's see their head to head stats? Good luck finding them.

The continued goal post movement is fantastic.

badmoon692008 and masshole like this.
  9. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

What goal post movement? The chart simply compares the first 200 GP starts for 4 of the top riders. Rossi’s stats are stronger. Simple.

It’s hard data/statistics. ‍♂️

10. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Yeah..... again first 200 GP starts...… only argument you will have 10 years from now is.... from 200 GP starts to 300 GP starts who was better..... But for now facts don't lie....

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  11. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Yep but so did Scott Redding.

12. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

Well, you could compare the head-to-head stats if only they had ever raced against each other.

pscook, masshole and eggfooyoung like this.
  13. eggfooyoung

You're right. Facts don't lie. The comparison is Marc vs Vale. Why are we including stats from when one of them wasn't around? The only argument you have currently is 10 years ago.

14. eggfooyoung

First it was best stats before age 25. No Marc in the mix for Vale. Then it was best stats in the first 100 GP. No Marc for Vale to beat here either. You can compare the first this, or the first that, but the only way to truly compare the two, is to look at head to head data.

Where do Ago and Angel compare in the link you posted?

15. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Ouch!

16. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I would certainly love to see 20 year old Rossi versus 20 year old Marquez on 500 two strokes, but that can never happen. The only reason we are even having this discussion is because Rossi's career longevity far surpassed that of any of his real contemporaries, allowing him to race head to head against, basically, his replacement at the top of the food chain.

badmoon692008, code3ryder and nd4spd like this.
  17. eggfooyoung

Agreed. Completely. He's good for the sport. I cheer for him, and I like to see him do well.

I also like to get a rise out of the 46 faithful. :D

18. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

There is no true head to head so that’s impossible.

Not until Marquez races 4 different generations of machinery for three different manufacturers. With the way he crashes I suspect he won’t be racing as a 40+ year old, either.

Regardless, it’s a great era to be a motorcycle racing enthusiast.

code3ryder likes this.
  19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Marc raced against everyone on that list from his first start, who did Rossi race against on his first start? Gibernau, Biaggi?

20. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

When he came into the premier class, he dominated against a field of old guys (like Rossi is today) waiting for their retirement (Checa, Criville, Barros) and a few guys who are basically the Dovis of that period that had flashes of speed, but would never win a championship (Biaggi, Capirossi, Gibernau). He had no serious challenge for the championship until Lorenzo, Stoner and Pedrosa came in. Probably the hardest championship for him was 2009 when he had all three of them pushing him to ride harder.

pscook, Quicktoy and Razr like this.