1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica | Superbikes at Alabama | Barber Motorsports Park | Sep 23-25

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Sep 20, 2022.

1. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Tire dope. Lots of people do it

2. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

In motorcycle racing?

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Mees was accused of it in AFT.

4. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

He was busted. used mainly in Karting and some dirt races but lately, the cheating has gone down since a lot of tracks send out samples.

Once a Wanker.. and stk0308 like this.
  5. Robby-Bobby

6. Robby-Bobby

Not in asphalt. Dirt, all the time, especially in karting. If you know specifics, I would love to know and test. But Its also generally applied inside the tire and "rolled in" or burned in on a hotbox.
    I don't think anyone is dumb enough to start spraying the outside.

7. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

As I recall he was busted the 2nd time he was accused because officials didn't fuck up the sampling/testing process the 2nd time around.

8. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Oh I dont follow any dirt racing, maybe that is why I had not heard of it before.

Pretty interesting, just heard what Stamboli had to say about it, seems like a very long process. Does it basically just soften the tire?

9. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I saw that. My initial thought was that would be hard to do unless you were on the "inside". The BTR tent has walls and any outsider would be noticed right away.

I find it hard to believe that people mess with each other's bikes, although maybe I'm being naive. Someone turned my steering damper all the way in at Daytona, and a few other settings were messed up. We always keep good notes and check before every weekend now, I still want to believe it was just some things we missed or had another explanation. But that being said, our bike is fast, and there are some strange personalities in the paddock (i.e. haters). I don't want to believe that anyone that I race with would do something like that- maybe I'm a little too trusting? I mean who cares enough to mess with the 25th place bike??

There is a whole other level of drama / stupidity on TDJU and that's where alot of this crap originated.

YamahaRick and Jed like this.
  10. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Tons and tons beat Blue Ridge Labs testing weekly.

11. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Wrong. It's done on the outside of the tire with no heat box. In dirt car racing anyway.

12. Robby-Bobby

I realized after I posted that I really don't know how or what they do in Late models. I wrongly assumed it was similar to karting.

13. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Papa, you've been ahead of me since day one.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  14. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Just listened to the Stanboli thing..he is relentless with some of the ducati / tire stuff.

15. drop

drop Well-Known Member

We do it on the outside with karts also. We have in the past put it on the inside but found it really don't help the tire much more versus the regular way. Plus on the inside it really deteriorates the tire faster

16. Ducman851

Ducman851 Been told I’m that guy, but I’m really not

17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Everyone understands tire glue right? It's not uncommon for new wheels to have a too smooth surface on the bead seating area. In this era of some tire brands using super low rear tire pressures sometimes a bit of help is needed. So, unless you have the bead set area roughed/textured up to help keep the tire from moving on the rim a adhesive of some type is used.

henry_carlson likes this.
  18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

If you research chemicals used to soften race tires there is so much bs out there and everyone says this works and that works blah, blah, blah. And dig deeper and it's even more illogical blah, blah, blah, and blah.

Back when Metzeler was drag racing it was common to use VHT traction aid on your rear tire. And the reason was since the drag strip was spraying that stuff on the track and heating it to make the track sticky, so it made sense to coat the tire with it too? And some of those guys tried it on roadrace tires and I never understood why.

I'll put it this way. A company like Pirelli that is in a constant state of SBK tire development with compounds, constructions, sizes, and materials to improve the performance and those tires show up here within about 6 months or so, why the fuck would you want to put some strange chemical on them?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  19. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

because the chemical goes to 11

Ducman851 and 5axis like this.
  20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

It goes to 11 am or pm?