1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica 2017 - Silly Season Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by The Great One, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Chris, put a team together, you got the basic know how down.

Find some kid with potential, run him in WERA and select motoamerica rounds. I'd recommend Superstock but if he's a younger kid, the KTM thing.

Even if you provide a bike (or two) and livengood does the prep, you've given some young talent a leg up. Or haul him with you and he can run the same WERA events as you.

2. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

What is Hayden Gillem doing this year?

3. No.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  4. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I don't know much about Mark Rhodes, but Jody ran the KTM390 cup the last two years. He finished 4th in 2016. That includes missing a race in 2016 due to his sister's wedding. He is also bigger and taller (5'11") than most of the kids running the KTM cup, so that is a disadvantage on those little bikes. The team was also basically just him and his father, while many of the other top finishers had bigger teams / budgets. Also don't look at him as bring unprofessional for missing a race as the team was mostly just him and his dad, you can't really say he let anyone down by going to the wedding.

At the tracks where Jason has ZX6R set up data on Dunlops and Jody has ridden before (most of them I believe) to get them started in the right direction, Jody will be near the front in Supersport.

I agree it is a bummer if they can't get Jason out there at least for his local track (Road America).

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Then just let Disalvo ride your 675 :D

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

So he is running the advanced 600 class, not the initial SuperStock class? If so, what is near the front? I think there were only 6 guys in that class last year?

7. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

I would rather see him ride the R6

8. 2blueYam

Near the front means within sight of the leader by the end of the race. I would say occasionally beating some of top guys. Remember this is still a fairly new and small team compared with Team Hammer or Y.E.S. Yamaha. With that said, WSS shows that the ZX6R can be a competitive package in 600 SS trim, although MotoAmerica SS and WSS are admittedly two different trims, but hopefully getting closer over time.

9. It isn't even legal for Supersport, hell it is illegal for WSS. :D

10. It might sound selfish, but I just have absolutely no desire into pouring my own "hard earned" :D money and effort into a program where somebody else is riding the bike. For me, the riding is the fun. The training, preparation, studying notes and watching track videos, the racing, etc. I love all that shit. I know there are lots of people who support the sport in that way, and much respect to all of them. But that just isn't something I have any desire to do. I would get exactly zero enjoyment out of spending time out of the country working to pay for a bike, then watching somebody else ride it. If anything, it would aggravate me, or I would be jealous, or I would be mad as hell if they crashed. Because I would always think of it as "my bike".

I love the rider development aspect of it. I enjoyed being part of JD40's Staff the 4 years he had that school, and I have enjoyed being on the STT Staff for the past 8 years. I love talking about/teaching fundamentals and coaching. So I could see myself doing something along those lines full time (if/when I ever decide to stop racing).

But as far as funding a program with my own personal money, that doesn't interest me in the slightest.

11. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

i think Jody Barry is a talented kid, but I don't know if I would go as far as saying he'll have the leaders in sight by the end of the race. Not doubting the program they put together, but to hang with the Graves and Hammer guys is a tough challenge. Solis is also a great rider and struggled to do that most of last year. He ended up putting in some great finishes though.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It's supposed to be a charity. Build a good program and let the sponsors pay for the racing. Once you're established, you get to keep a percentage.

13. Boman Forklift

Exactly what I was thinking. I will take it one step farther. If you are involved with Jody, please don't pressure him to think that is what is expected. I wish him and you well and hope he can kick ass and finish on the box.

Scott S. and jeffr1ey like this.
  14. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

15. 2blueYam

If last year is any indication, the 600 Superstock riders will be plenty of competition for any of the Supersport riders that are not fully on pace with the leaders. Finishing behind all three of the Graves Y.E.S. guys and Debise on a Hammer bike would be expected on more weekends than not. Debise looked good last year and this year he will know the tracks and have some set up data in hand, so it will be interesting to see if he can better his results. Hopefully Solis can keep improving this year too and we can have 4 manufactures running up front at least on occasion. Now if we can just get a competitive Triumph or MV on the grid as well that would be awesome. OK too much to hope for in reality, but it would be cool.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Not sure what happened, but that's supposed to say, "it's NOT supposed to be a charity".

17. Boman Forklift

Understood, but you said near the front within sight of the leader, that's the only reason I questioned it. Obviously you know him, you could be his father or the team owner, I have no idea. I hope he has a great season and a bunch of fun jumping right into the Supersport class without first running in Superstock.

Granted there is a lot less competition in Supersport now, vs. a few years ago, but the top four guys are still very fast.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Come on man, racing is an easy way to get rich. Start a team + hire riders, crew and hangers on + spend a few bucks + something something something = you'll be rolling in the checks, the chicks and the potato chips! :D

19. 2blueYam

Actually I only met his father Bruce a couple of times at a BHF races. I actually turned Bruce around before he lost his LWSS podium for not reporting to tech one time after he finished 3rd. I have a friend that races SV650s up at BFH and Road America that is closer to what is going on than I am.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Did you edit my post Mr K? :Poke: