1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Trump's fault....violent leftist nutjobs burn down UC Berkeley

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SPL170db, Feb 2, 2017.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I'd rather see a cost comparison between Laura Bush and Queen Michelle for their respective 8 years in the Honky House.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you're going to compare overall costs then yeah, the first chicks would have to be included.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I wonder how much Clintons current security costs compared to Melania and the school age Trumpkin.

It would be cool to get accurate numbers on stuff like that just out of curiosity but I get why they don't let anyone know - first because it'd give away too much of the security they use and second because of the whining that would happen :D

4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

But if we looked at some of the other factors it would likely take away from the Outrage(TM).

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

True dat.

6. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

And you'd be wrong, I wasn't a fan of Obama, like most presidents he did some good and some not so good. I've been critical of him in the past, though not so much here. I haven't seen anything from trump yet to make me feel good about him being president. Probably wouldn't have been any happier with hillary. I'm just calling out a lot of the hypocrisy of those that were critical of obama for the same stuff. :)

7. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I have a legitimate question for you. I've always wondered why so many members of the media (as a whole) tend to lean left? Since you've been involved in that profession for so many years maybe you can answer that for me.
    Thanks in advance.

8. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

9. Newsshooter

Truthfully I can't say why for sure, though it is true. I'd guess it's because most that got into the profession were idealistic about a lot of things and tended to be more socially progressive. That being said, there are a lot of very conservative journalists too. And the higher the hierarchy the more conservative it tends to be as well. I know some that are socially liberal, but extremely conservative in other areas. Others are conservative through and through. I got into it to be a photographer, the type of work fits me well, as photojournalists are the jack of all trades of photographers. I got my start shooting sports and moved into journalism. Which is a long ways from being a biologist which is what I'd planned. :) That being said I and I believe most others as well, embraced the idea of being a neutral source and try to do our best to be balanced. I always thought of both sides of a story were a bit unhappy we did a good job since most will read their own bias into a story. I've always tried to be neutral while working, everyone that knows me knows I have opinions, at work with the public I didn't have one. In this day and age it has gotten a lot harder to do a good job with the cuts to staff at both papers and news stations. The paper I worked at has a staff that isn't much larger than the sports department was 10-12 years ago. There used to be seven photographers and a photo editor, now there's two to cover 7 days a weeks 24/7.

Papers are just like any other business, there's really good people, there's those that don't do their share of the work and there's the majority in the middle. The thing is without out local papers and news stations we wouldn't have an independent source keeping track of local govt, school boards, police, etc....

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

IMHO, the concept of journalist as celebrity really took off after "All the President's Men" was released. and the really hit warp speed with the Scud Stud. Sure there were investigative journalists and journeymen that are Dragnet level just the facts ma'am, but by and large there are a lot of print and, from my experience, a majority of television, reporters hoping to be stars.

11. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

At least Hillary evens all this spending out by using her own server over that overpriced government system...

Just think, if she had used government stuff, she would probably be President...and we would really be hurting!! :D

12. speeddaddy

speeddaddy Well-Known Member

Papers are just like any other business, there's really good people, there's those that don't do their share of the work and there's the majority in the middle. The thing is without out local papers and news stations we wouldn't have an independent source keeping track of local govt, school boards, police, etc....[/QUOTE]

Good point, but I would argue the msm blew it this election cycle by picking sides. Perhaps Trump was cunning by sucking the press into picking sides during the election, so now that he's in any criticism is blown off as leftist propaganda of sore losers.....

13. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

According to Judicial Watch, Obama's annual travel expense were $12.1 million and Trump has spent $11.3 million since the inauguration. If Trump continues this trend he'll spend more in 1 year than Obama did in 8 years. If he wants to use his resort as a weekend escape in lieu of Camp David, then he should fund it personally.
    http://www.opposingviews.com/i/soci...ost-taxpayers-just-less-what-obama-spent-year

14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Ya, I am just skeptical of that number. I am not sure how 3 trips to Florida could cost as much as an entire year of Presidential travel all over the world.
    I would also like to see what the numbers for other incoming Presidents first couple of months were as opposed to an 8 year average.

15. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Apparently it also includes security for his two sons while they traveled on business outside of the country. Don't know and agree that there should be a better reconciliation done.

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

If he is spending way more then he should be slapped down but this just has the feel of the Never Trumpers throwing something else at him hoping something, anything will stick. Unfortunately everything I can find is either from RWNJ or LWNJ sites.

17. Newsshooter

Good point, but I would argue the msm blew it this election cycle by picking sides. Perhaps Trump was cunning by sucking the press into picking sides during the election, so now that he's in any criticism is blown off as leftist propaganda of sore losers.....

[/QUOTE]

A lot of media companies give their choices for candidates before elections, I know at the paper I worked they had a group that consisted of reporters, editors, managers from other departments and the publisher who interviewed the candidates asking them a set of questions, usually took 45 mins to an hour. Then then published their choices and reasons for it on the editorial page. Never worked for a TV station but I've worked along side local and national agencies. I trust the locals more than the nationals but then I worked with them a lot more. And I never got the don't you know who I am from them, that's always a fun one, as my usual reply is no I don't know who you are and I don't care or I call them by their competitors name. :)

Orvis likes this.
  18. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Nothing is real anymore. Nothing.

19. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

The few manipulating the many for their own personal gain is very real.

It's not like brilliant thinkers in last couple of millennia haven't decided to tackle the problem(s) and write down their conclusions for anybody who can get past the labels they're spoon fed. . .and think they willingly place upon themselves and others. . .

If only there was some technological advance that made it easy for the average person to get access to this kind of information almost any time - almost anywhere. . .hmmmmmm. . .that would be cool.

20. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017