1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miller may be shutting down.

Discussion in 'General' started by TrackStar, May 8, 2015.

1. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Alan Wilson just told us that the drag strip will not use or impact any part of the existing road course. The quote will be on roadracingworld.com in a moment. He's what's called a primary source.

The interesting thing is that when I speculated at the time of Larry H. Miller's passing that the family might not be as interested in MMP as he was and that could be a problem, the reaction I got was total outrage. Anybody here remember that?

2. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

I guess the question was.... is the parcel just what we see as developed or is there additional undeveloped land that was part of it.

3. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

Only time will tell.

I can't remember but what were the circumstances under which Alan left MMP the first time?

5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Yep, only time will tell. We shall see what actually happens.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That doesn't answer my question.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Don't remember but not surprised. I did think one son was into racing but one of the entire family means the track goes.

Good to hear Alans take, I thought they owned a bunch of land surrounding the existing site as part of the entire track property.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Very good circumstances, he moved on to other projects and building other tracks. One of which was NOLA.

People may hate his designs but he and the wife are roadracers so they will always keep the roadcourse and safety in mind when changing things.

9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The land parcel maps are public information and easy to access.
    They could possibly purchase more in time, but this county deal is for the parcel that was leased and is now sold. It doesn't include any property owned by the Miller family.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And yet again - that does not answer any of the questions about how much land this parcel includes. You seem to be assuming it is all being used, I do not believe it is based on talks with track people over the years. I think there is adjoining land that is part of the track property that is totally undeveloped. I am not talking about the total Miller properties which include things across the street and so on - I am talking about the total property Larry gave to Tooele and they just sold. How much property is that and where are the lines for that property and that property alone?

11. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Like I said and fully answered the question - the parcel maps are public info and readily available for anyone that actually wants it. I'm not the one assuming anything.
    Larry didn't give land to anyone. Not sure why you seem to be assuming that.

12. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Reminds me of the mid `80's when Billy Myer built the Texas Motorplex. Initial 'plans' were that once the drag strip was up and running he would add a road course, dirt flat track and a banked oval.

The dragstrip is doing real well... :rolleyes:

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You said "Of course if one looks at the property and uses their brain to find a spot for a full spec NHRA strip, a dirt oval and the other "we plan tos" rather than complain and try to attack others they might see it is all crap."

Your words.

So where are you seeing this map of the property that shows there is no room? That's what I've been asking for since you said that - and no telling me it's easily accessible doesn't answer the question. I can look at a picture and see what they've used, doesn't tell me what they own. You are saying you looked at the property and used your brain - so where did you look at the property? Where is that map or plat or whatever you saw that showed you there is no room?

Didn't really think it was that difficult a question.

As for giving, I was under the impression that Larry bought the land and donated it to the city/county. If that was wrong I apologize. I didn't think the city/county owned more than the Deseret Park area when the track was developed. Just as the Miller companies own the land across the street and a bunch of other property out there that they didn't give to anyone.

14. caferace

caferace No.

I believe the track is already FIM approved given the fact that WSBK ran there many years. Did they somehow lose that?

-jim

15. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

I think the MX track may have killed that.

16. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

In the original master plan that I saw before and during construction of MMP, there was/is a drag strip just north of the kart track. This would also be a good thing as the only drag strip (I'm aware of) locally, will be closing next year. The property (drag strip) was sold to a development group that will be tearing it out to build warehouse space.

Regarding the Cartwright portion of the MMP deal, his plan wasn't to build around the track, from my understanding. He proposed to the country to build around the track for a short time, then remove the track to continue development. Try obviously weren't excited.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Don't get too caught up in press release material :D

18. noobinacan

noobinacan Well-Known Member

better than a prison...

only $20 mil. that's a deal right there

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I was hoping for day release officials and corner workers with the prison :D

20. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

The corner workers may steal the bike before it makes it back to the pit then...