1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miller may be shutting down.

Discussion in 'General' started by TrackStar, May 8, 2015.

1. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

2. TrackStar

3. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Hmm.. All looks good to me. Hard to get over the mental stigma of Chinese businesses coming over and buying up all of our stuff, but if they do everything listed in the fact sheet, it looks like it'll bring money to the area which is a plus.

Will there be a contract signed holding them to the promises in the sheet, or is this just a handshake kind of thing and we hope they don't do a 180 when they take over?

When is it effective.

4. MGarrett50

MGarrett50 Ready. Set. Go.

That sounds alright. I hope they don't have to take it apart to figure out to build one.

5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Contract is already signed. All of the "we plan tos" are just that. Nothing holds them to any of it.

6. G 97

G 97 Garth

$100 Million to construct? Eight years later purchased for $20Million. Still not sure if it's a bargain or not

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  7. G 97

G 97 Garth

I also think the counties projected $4mil per year average economic impact figure is wishfull thinking.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

I get the local guys being mad but houses and condos is NOT the way to keep a track open. There aren't enough motorsports fans within SLC to buy them all so you'd have a lot of people bitching about noise all the time and lose the track eventually.

A factory on the site and prison next door - perfect.

9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The prison isn't going out there.
    And nothing quite like fucking up the main straight with a drag strip.

10. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

This. BIR is a glowing example!!

11. TrackStar

Thats not happening. From what I hear they want to do a NHRA legal drag strip for future events.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know, still sounded funny to say it.

My impression was not a drag strip on the road course based on the money involved, it would be a separate venue like Las Vegas. Drag strips screw up road courses but most importantly for any track - you can't rent both at once if they're combined.

13. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

What they said, typing faster than I did!

Have we seen any evidence that a drag strip, if built, would use the front straight or is this pre-emptive complaining and angst?

14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I don't know. If you time the tree just right. I know Josh is fast, but his R1 probably doesn't have much for Tony Schumacher.

15. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

OMG! No wonder they staged a drag race between Dani Pedrosa and Marco Andretti at Indy! They're gonna build a drag strip using the front straight and RUIN INDY! Arrrrrrggggggggg!

16. ton

ton Arf!

hate to admit it, but i'd enjoy going out to watch NHRA.

i think this whole deal is as good as we could have hoped for Miller and the motorcycle racing community. there will be issues, but the county and new owners seem committed to engaging and working with all of the stakeholders.

17. brex

brex Well-Known Member

There is no evidence where it will or will not be built.
    It is all a bunch of "we plan to" right now.
    Of course if one looks at the property and uses their brain to find a spot for a full spec NHRA strip, a dirt oval and the other "we plan tos" rather than complain and try to attack others they might see it is all crap.
    For anyone to say with certainty what is or isn't happening right now is beyond laughable.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Curious, have you seen a map laying out the entirety of the property that goes with the track? Just trying to understand where you're coming up with this.

19. TrackStar

Good question. Has anyone other than the parties involved in the sale seen the surveyors map showing the property purchased? Was there additional land not currently developed that was adjacent to the track that Miller had leased or the county owned and threw in to sweeten the deal?

Cartwrights plan included a bunch of houses, business and retail. Where was that going to go? Me thinks there may be more land than what we see inside the fence.

20. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The parcel is the same one the current track is on. They just sold the parcel rather than contracted out another lease.