1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Milennials are killing HD

Discussion in 'General' started by L8 Braker, Jul 13, 2017.

1. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Alright I was going to quote like five posts, yes it is HD's responsibility as a business to anticipate and adapt, if they die thats fine with me. Mellinnials have annoying habits (so did all you heavy metal LARP D&D aholes) , and they are now lumping Gen Y&Z in to the mellinnial category . Hell Im 35 and they wanna lump me in with the category, Ive had a regular job since I was 13. You know what I see, a lot of people with time on their hands finding a new excuse to complain.

caferace likes this.
  2. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Get off Acree's lawn.

caferace likes this.
  3. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

^I've already said that on my new propertys land when some hippies set up a picnic. "Hi, I know that this looks like a park, but you are in my yard." Oh sorry can we..." No, leave now."

BigBird likes this.
  4. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

It's my fault that Harley has always made steaming piles of outdated shit?

Can we rebrand gen X as the "blame the kids for everything" generation?

solson1041 likes this.
  5. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Shoulda told them the grass was Monsanto GMO seed, they would have disappeared quicker than the brown acid at Woodstock.

Razr likes this.
  6. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

My reply was more pointed at the previous post saying that HD hasnt had much development time with their new motor. 40ish years right? No doubt the XR is still capable of winning as it easily did last night but Im not buying this poor Harley give them a chance to iron it out bullshit. They have had the head start on everyone just chose to print more t shirts and sell more handlebar tassles.

Gino230 and Gorilla George like this.
  7. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Mine too, until she wanted to go places and do things with friends and her parents were no longer providing chauffeur services on demand. It's quite amusing how important her car is to her now.

R Acree likes this.
  8. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I have two "kids" that worked at one of my facilities this summer that are male, over 18, in college, and did not own a car and had no interest in owning one. One even had a new Civic waiting on him and he said he didn't want it.

Neither of these two live in areas where mass transit is readily available.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How do they get around? Uber?

10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Uber Kids ™

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I say let them continue to Uber. At the very least it's likely the person driving won't be banging away on a text message when they plow into you in traffic.

Gino230 likes this.
  12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Actually, it can probably be cheaper than owning their own car. No insurance, especially the rates for a teen/young adult can be astronomical, no gas, no maintenance costs, no car payment.

They may be smarter than I thought.

TurboBlew likes this.
  13. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

Or sell them at Starbucks ;)

14. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

The only people wrecking HD are working at HD.

Gino230, Pixelator, Wingnut and 3 others like this.
  15. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

I don't feel the article is blaming HDs quality of bikes for lack of sales, but rather the fact that Millennials just aren't into riding.

Now, the reasons why they aren't riding is where it gets interesting. The words entitled, unmotivated, self absorbed, lazy and unhirable come to mind.

Gorilla George and R Acree like this.
  16. tecknojoe

My point is that I'm a millenial and I'd never buy a harley, but I've owned about 10 bikes so far. Harley's look like shit, have terrible performance, and IMO people buy them because they want a fashion accessory. Harley is killing themselves, not millenials.

Make a street tracker that I can buy off the showroom floor and rip around town, I don't want some overpriced loud piece of shit

The scrambler nailed it with my generation. I'm sure sales will decline a bit because it's not the hot thing anymore. But they looked at what the hipster millenials want and gave us something cool and relatively cheap.

17. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

Again, the article points out that Millinnials just aren't into riding as much as previous generations. So, it doesn't matter what they build, sales are still going to slump.

18. tecknojoe

So why are they distinguishing Harley in that conversation? They brought up one brand and I'm pointing out that people of my generation who DO ride don't like Harley, they like Scrambler instead.

I guess I'm pretty biased because I'm barely young enough to be in the millenial generation (31). I grew up in a time when cell phones just became a thing, and we still saved up to buy a car so we could be functional adults. I think the 18 year olds of today are very different from people my age, it's time to kick off the new generation.

19. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I kinda lost interest in riding and I've rode since I was like 4. Costs of riding and time I really have to use a M/c have done a 180 lately.

20. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

Hell, there's an article I read years ago that stated we won't even need a drivers license and in the year 2040 because all cars will be self driving.