1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Milennials are killing HD

Discussion in 'General' started by L8 Braker, Jul 13, 2017.

1. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

When I read this, all I could think of is: when's the last time HD released a bike that had great anticipation? The V-Rod is last one I can remember and that came out in 2001.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  2. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

FTFY. :D

3. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Funny thing, when I was millennial age I swore I'd never ride a HD. Now that I'm closer to middle age than millennial age I've changed my views. FWIW, 3 HD's and not one damn thing broke except for an aftermarket brake light modulator. Bunch a folks up in here need to lighten up, have a beer or three and just enjoy that people ride at all. I recommend you all hit up the slimey crud Run here where all riders get together and just enjoy two fucking wheels of all stripes.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

With most of us being racers/track riders, it's hard to understand what the appeal is of a bike that rides like shit and is loaded with a bunch of crap that doesn't do anything to make the ride any better. I've never met a Harley guy that really cared about performance. Yes, there are the ones who do the "screaming eagle" crap but that's just laughable (I spent $10k on stage 4 blah blah blah and I'm up to a whopping 110hp on my 2000cc motorcycle:crackup:). All they seem to care about is the image - new shiny bits and a bunch of nonsense like putting oval mirrors on the bike instead of square to "set themselves apart from the crowd". In my mind, they're just like the idiots that slam and stretch busas, put huge lift kits/stacks/26in rims on pickups, and lift those old cars with 30in wheels. All that matters is the "look at me" aspect of it, which just doesn't make any sense.

BROsiah, solson1041, masshole and 2 others like this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I never rode mine for looks. I rode it because it was comfortable for the boss, held a bunch of stuff, wasn't as boring as a Wing. Same reason I have the Multi.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  6. Sprinky

Yeap. Wife now loves riding with me. I guess that's good and bad :cool:

Not one piece of shiny stuff added to mine, unless you call Ohlins suspension shiny stuff.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Wisconsin, Hardley and swilling beer. The Three motherfucking Stooges. :Poke: :Poke: ;)

8. Sprinky

When in Rome :flag: :D

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Buy cheap beer and smokes and head back to where they don't fuck dead wildlife they found in a ditch. :D

10. caferace

caferace No.

I *still* like Home Depot. :D

-jim

11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I was never an HD guy, but up until last year they've hosted their Bike Week demos out of NHMS so... ya know, I'm there already, I've got full gear and some time between races...

I jumped on a Heritage Softail in my full race kit and went for a spin. Yup, it's no FZR in the handling dept but it stopped and accelerated just fine for the street, stock pipes had plenty of character for me, it would clutchless up and downshift much to my surprise, and fuggin comfy. I could easily see jumping on one and just going for a week.

V5 Racer likes this.
  12. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I took off chrome shit and had it powdercoated black. There's barely any chrome on mine, can't stand that shit.

I care about performance. It's all relative, but it's still an improvement. I put a big bore kit in, cams, and had the heads done. Not one piece of Screaming Eagle on it and I have no idea what any of those 'stages' are. I spent money on suspension before I touched anything on the motor.

There's a lot of stereotyping and broad brush painting going on up in here.

13. G 97

G 97 Garth

No. New frame design for touring models in 2008 eliminated this issue.

14. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

It's the beeb. Would you expect any less ? :D

Gino230 and Scotty87 like this.
  15. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Solid point. I must be slippin. :beer:

16. Even the solid black VRod doesn't do it for me. I applaud the effort and getting rid of the chrome shit. But it still sits really low, still has the same headlight, still has the same shaped tank, still has the same ugly cruiser exhaust, etc.

If they want to appeal to a wider (younger or different) range of people, they will need to think outside the box and make something a little less "Harley-ish" (like Ducati did with the Diavel and Scrambler).

17. G 97

G 97 Garth

I like my Harley. I like the chrome. I like the paint scheme as it is better than most other bikes. I like the loud pipes on it. I like the Screamimg Eagle stuf on it. It's a fun bike to ride.
    If I see a punk milennial riding a scrambler, I'll let him know he's way cool by showing him he's #1. :D

Sprinky and V5 Racer like this.
  18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Millenials are killing everything if you listen to the news. Car companies, motorcycle companies, sports teams, high end audio companies, swiss watch companies. . . everyone but Apple and fixie bike manufacturers.

19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Don't knock it till you... wait, what?

pickled egg likes this.
  20. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Cite.