1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mark151/ Below Deck

Discussion in 'General' started by ts199, Sep 19, 2017.

1. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

One of my oldest friends has been a yatchy (SP?) since college, and she loves/hates it. She's seen the world, managed to have every amazing expierence possible, but it's at the expense of a few things she'd like.

Most folks in the industry are there for the same reasons Mark is. On the flip they rarely have families/kids, homes, substantial ways of retirement, or any real semblance of a traditional life.

If you don't care about that stuff, then working for the mega rich ain't a bad way to go. She's been on a 60M Lurssen for the past 8 years, and has some amazing experiences.

2. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I own and maintain my own little boat, and when I'm cruising the waterways of Ft. Lauderdale and I see those massive boats, all I can think of is all the WORK, WORK, WORK that goes into keeping them pretty. My god, the old joke certainly applies- when you finish washing you start over at the other end!

kangasj likes this.
  3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The difference is you have to DIY, the owners of the big ones pay people like Mark.

Phl218 likes this.
  4. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

Exactly! From my understanding, a crew's primary occupation when the owners aren't aboard is to clean/maintain the boat. It's a constant process.

5. ducrcr

And that's just the entry level! When I was over in the Bahamas a couple years ago, we saw this boat(ship) and it's attending helicopter up and down the Exumas. Finally got around to googling it and charter starts out at 700,000Euros + expenses!(yes, that's per week)

https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/luxury-charter-yacht-26061/air.htm

dickie doo and GixxerBlade like this.
  6. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

The crews are literally always cleaning according to my friend. Her life consists of being a glorified waitress and polishing every last inch of that boat. When you're not serving, you're cleaning.

I spent some decent time on a 55 Viking, and even that was more than I'd want to deal with.

7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Every last inch, you say?

8. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

The knobs aren't going to polish themselves!

Funkm05, Gino230 and dobr24 like this.
  9. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

It's true the cleaning never ends. But that's what you are paid for. My owners are only on the boat for an average of 1 week each month. So your damn right that the boat should be spotless and they should ask for nothing. But I always get a laugh of an uneducated early 20 something year old girls/or guys making 60-100 grand untaxed cash a year living with no bills, getting feed the best food, and yet they still complain. It's called work for a reason!

10. Captain Morgan

Yeah, I'm getting to that point but its hard to leave. The thought of a normal life is nice but not sure I can function staying in one place after traveling so many years. As a chef you always have to look out for yourself on retirement. On land or sea. Unless you work for a chain or major hotel that offers 401ks you are on your own. I can save more in one year on a yacht than I could 10 years working on land with bills. I'm putting money aside but I'm also not down with the whole scare you retirement thing. Wait till your 65 years old and then live the good life??? Money comes and money goes, the only sure thing is if you work you can always make more. All the money in the world can't buy you time and youth wasted. With all these divorce threads, guys work their ass off for 10/20/30/ years. Get a divorce and most of its gone??? You never know what will happen. Not to worried, there are still cheap places in the world to live.

dickie doo, PMooney Jr. and Gino230 like this.
  11. G 97

G 97 Garth

:crackup:
    And yet the reality is, I could stomp you all in a roadrace. :Poke::moon:

I do agree about the number of fat Harley Chicks. :Puke:

12. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Mark 151, were you in Ocean City, MD in August 2015 for the White Marlin open? I took a pic of that Amarula Sun yacht in the commercial harbor when I floated by. It had a matching mid 30s foot center console floating beside it that looked well set up to fish.

13. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

For the 800th time - try one. I love mine. Raced for years, still own a sport bike. Love my HD.

14. Captain Morgan

No, but they go there every year, they have a 70' custom sportfish with the same name that fishes the tournament. The 32 everglades center console is just the regular boat tender.

Spang308 likes this.
  15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I have tried them a time or two, friends have them and love them, I just don't care for them. Slow and heavy, is there a worse combination, I'd rather ride a clapped out SV?
    Sounds like a plan, you bring your Hardly and I'll bring my Kawi 400. :Poke: :D

G 97 and Razr like this.
  16. ducrcr

It's just different strokes man. I'm like G97 & Scotty, I raced for 25 years and am/was reasonably fast but there are times when I enjoy riding slow and the Harley(that I bought new in '89) is perfectly suited for that.:cool: I've got a few more capable bikes for when I wanna go have some fun in the corners. :rock:

Scotty87 likes this.
  17. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

So, just curious, @Mark151 , do the rich ladies with affamaket errethang ask you to "service" them on the boat sometimes ? :D

18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

If HDs actually had brakes AND handling, so I wouldn't have to lay her down... :D

I haven't ridden many but, gad damn, I almost went off a cliff the first time I needed the brakes on other than a Sportster (about as lightweight as you're gonna get). I was going from Congress, AZ, to Prescott on 89 on some kinda alphabet soup model...WHO the FUCK thought it was a good idea to chrome brake discs? <smh>

I'm not about to buy a Confederate, but I would build something similar in the hopes of having, at least, some brakes and handling. That's as close to HD as I'll ever own. There is something to be said about a classic king and queen choppa, tho', provided it too has real brakes.

For all the flag wavers, look very carefully at the aftermarket stuff you apply to your American iron. A lot of it is Chinese garbage, to the point where chromed axle bolts are just a head pressed on to a threaded shaft and then the whole assembly is dipped...head pops right off. WTF!? Be careful. Stick to known quality fastener providers...the rest is just girly makeup.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I loved my chrome discs. Made it fun to ride, had to pay attention.

20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

It woulda been nice to know. Yeah, yeah...I shoulda noticed beforehand. Please, the rest of the chrome had me blinded and I couldn't see to truly appreciate what woulda left me dumbfounded.

Not to worry, I found my dumb rather quickly...no pun intended. :D