1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mark151/ Below Deck

Discussion in 'General' started by ts199, Sep 19, 2017.

1. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

So I'm sitting home a little bored and watching the show Below Deck on Bravo.

It's about a Charter Yacht and wonder is this what you do? If so, how can you put up with these fake ass rich people all the time? Geez. What a bunch of pretentious douche nozzles. Like all reality shows I know it's over the top but being stuck with rich people on a smaller boat for days would drive me crazy.

The people on this episode tipped the crew $15 large so maybe it's worth it.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

He drinks. Have you seen his recent posting activity?

Scotty87, V5 Racer and Phl218 like this.
  3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

:crackup:

4. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I got sucked into that show too. My girlfriend makes fun of me because I hate Bravo and reality tv with a passion, but I still watch that dumb show.

I'm too old now but I wish I would have known about those jobs when I was in my twenties. The hours and workload can be crazy from what I've heard but I bet the experience would be worth it.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'm sure those "stewards" are to professional yacht crews what the "whale shepherds" are to Merchant Marines.
    Might as well watch MTV's "house" shows and believe it's the way your life should be...

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I had the impression that Mark was crew hired by the boat owners or their agent as opposed to a Rent-A-Yacht crew job.

7. R1Racer99

I'm sure the show is mostly bullshit like everything else on that network, but I have friends who have done it and said it was pretty cool. Like mentioned above the guys I've known who did it were on yachts owned by a family.

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

That, and I don't think he is exactly "normal' anyways.

9. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

Im not watching it thinking anything other than it's staged drama bullshit but the plastics on the show are real. I just got back from Orange County and those types of altered women are everywhere. Boobs, lips and face lift are everywhere you look, young and very old. It's like every female is a descendant of the Joker!

I just pictured him on a smaller cramped boat and the kitchen on this thing is huge with nice ocean views.

It's also funny to see that one of the watercraft they have on this multi million dollar yacht is one of those crap plastic disposable SeaDoo sparks. They could at least have two RXT's or a couple of GP1300's.

10. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Yes, that's exactly what I do. Been doing it to long but as a chef its hard to go back to land. Great money, no bills, travel around the world. Don't get me wrong though, it has downsides. Crazy hours, you live where you work, no privacy, and lots of drama!

As for below deck, it might be a little scripted but its truly not far off of reality. "No" is not an answer, if you have enough money anything can be obtained at the right price. I've seen guys out fishing for the day run out of beer. What can you do? Make a satellite phone call, charter a helicopter, give them your gps coordinates, have them lower 2 cases of hienken down to you.

The crew is kind of crazy on my boat. 2 days ago our 3rd stew woke up with a tattoo. I asked her where she got it and couldn't remember! I thought that shit only happened in movies!

Since last March/ Costa Rica, Panama, Grand Cayman, Cuba, D.R., U.S.V.I, B.V.I's, Turks and Bahamas.... I'm tired

11. R1Racer99

I was on a cruise ship last year and almost none of the service crew was American, I'm guessing that has something to do with the low pay compared to working on land here. I've heard they make better money on yachts but also have many other duties outside of serving guests. Wish they hired people to just bartend, I guess maybe some of the boats would be big enough to need them.

spcassell likes this.
  12. Captain Morgan

Yes and yes. First, all chefs are crazy. Call me what you want but I've managed to take 4-6 months off every year for the last 8 years. Not talking about staying at a Holiday Inn.

This time last year I was 150 miles off the coast of Mexico cage diving with great whites for 3 days, surfed and fished central Mexico for 2 months, did a tequila tasting in the town of Tequila, flew to Peru, hiked Machu picchu, paraglided and swam with wild sealions in Lima, whitewater rafted in the Andes, Kiteboarded Paracas, flew to Iquitos, rented a hut in the Amazon Rainforest only accessible by boat and a hike. Caught piranhas and saw pink river dolphins.

Took a 10 hour boat ride down the Amazon across the Colombian boarder to Letecia. Flew to Cartagena and explored the city, went to Barranqua. Flew to Northern Brazil, kiteboarded for 2 weeks, flew to Rio, went hangliding and hung out with a girl on Impanima for a week. Went home to see family for Christmas. Took some more time off the was flown to Costa Rica to join the boat.

13 countries and islands in one year. 1/2 of that I was on vacation. You guys can call me what ever you want.

pawpawrc, cha0s#242, Scotty87 and 3 others like this.
  13. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

^^ Yea, but i get to stay at Holiday Inns all the time....so whos the smarter one there HUH!?

V5 Racer likes this.
  14. Repo Man 32

Repo Man 32 Lifetime Member

BUT:

When do you race??? :Poke:

Phl218 likes this.
  15. Repo Man 32

Repo Man 32 Lifetime Member

So we talkin' Below Deck Caribbean or Below Deck Mediterranean??

(not that I ever watch those crappy shows... ;) )

G 97 likes this.
  16. Captain Morgan

Just track days now. Kept a duc 848 in FLL when I was always back and forth from the Bahamas for years. I bought a really nice 675 and had it shipped 3 days after the boat hit the dock in FLL 3 weeks ago. Made it up to jennings. Was hoping to do the pbir legacy night/ day weekend but a little storm got in the way. I'm going to try and squeeze in as many weekends as I can till the boat leaves in Dec. New bike all new gear, taking it easy. Weird getting older is that I think about getting hurt and not being able to work. I'm defineitly out of shape, joined a gym today

17. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

This. My wife loves the drama. I just like seeing how big boats work/operate.

18. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yes, but I got to ride my Harley about every day.

Captain Morgan likes this.
  19. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Damn man, I realize he's nuttier than a fruit cake, but, no, not even close.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Suggested edit.