1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ludicrous mode

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Jan 2, 2020.

1. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Almost all of them have plenty of untapped potential hidden in the programming. My last 2 race bikes just needed a quick ecu flash.

2. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Redundant

3. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

You still pay upfront for the cores you don’t have access to. That is my issue. Paying up front for the potential, but not having access to it without paying additional money. That in my opinion is a scammy way to run a business.

4. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Used to work for IBM and Capacity on Demand is used on mainframe and midrange systems. Up front, you're only paying for the capacity that you need. If you don't ever fire up the additional processors or memory, you don't ever pay for them. It reduced the costs because machines were all built to the same specs from a hardware perspective. In that world, it's much more beneficial to buy a machine with the ability to upgrade as it significantly reduced the overall cost to upgrade since there isn't any downtime or costs for someone to come onsite to beef up the system. As 2blueYam mentioned, this is primarily done beyond in the commercial realm.

stk0308 and Montoya like this.
  5. G 97

G 97 Garth

Please don’t tell me we’re all out of crude oil. :D

6. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Electric is cool.
    Tesla is a nope for me.

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I saw a slammed model S yesterday. It was yummy looking. Rob, I think you should go for it :D

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

I loved bill burr's take on the Tesla at the dealer.. " can you get it without the giant tablet in the center console? ...you can't? ..oh."

Some kid on YouTube has sweet videos of him owning legit drag setup cars

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I linked a video in the video thread showing some girls experiencing Ludicrous mode.

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

11. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the old saying about drug dealers/ addiction. First hit is free. Enjoy your new Tesla when you get it Rob.

beac83 and Boman Forklift like this.
  12. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I live in the town just south of Mckinney if anyone needs eyeballs on this one.

13. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

A lot of the printed circuit boards and embedded systems in consumer and even class 2 electronics are manufactured this way. It’s cheaper to engineer and manufacturer one component, and simply unlock its capabilities based on what the customer is paying. Sometimes you have to offer the good, better, best marketing plan.

14. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

WTH is 'Free Supercharging'?

15. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Supercharger refer to the fastest charging stations Tesla has placed in the field.
    So free supercharging allows you to charge for free at these stations.

16. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

The more I read about the Teslas...the less I want one.

On UTube, "The Fast Lane Car" guys do a couple of Tesla tests in real world scenarios...absolutely NONE of their results make me want one.
    They interview one lady at a charging station...she's on a trip with her husband in his Model X. I think she says the trip usually takes 9 hours..but in the X, 13.
    No...just NO. This is in a video showing how poorly a Tesla X performs trying to two a small, very small, two person sleeper trailer on a trip about 1200 miles.
    They finally give up and have their other team member come with the Dodge gas powered Ram pickup and complete the trip because their power consumption
    is adding so much time to the trip and their also experiencing anxiety about whether they'll actually make it between charging stations.

They also have a model 3, and do a video on the nightmare experience they had getting a repair done to that car. A minor fender bender, $10,000! And the total time to
    repair the car and return it to them for use was 90 days due to waiting for the initial parts order, and a second parts order because they can only order the parts they
    SEE that need repairing on the first estimate. JUST NO.

"Rich Rebuilds" does one on how expensive Tesla repairs are once they go off warranty. You want to get rid of a Tesla faster than a BMW once the warranty expires.
    $6K to replace a drive motor? HELL NO. And apparently Tesla wont' tell you what Technical Service Bulletin fixes have been done on a used Tesla? What kind of shit is that?

Boman Forklift and crashman like this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Maybe people were smart enough to buy the right tool for the job… I mean, what kind of moron regularly does thousand-mile trips buys an electric car? But yeah, it's probably the fault of the manufacturer. Let me guess: their city car is a F-350? That would make just as much sense. :rolleyes:

18. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Where is this listed? I am not far from there and very interested

19. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Hardware build cost is a small part of the price you pay for stuff. It's been pretty common for at least 10 years to build a single hardware item and license the software to allow/disallow features and performance.
    Pricing these days is based more on what the market will pay for a feature than actual cost to build + markup.

Scott S. and Boman Forklift like this.
  20. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

The point is that electric vehicles have logistic and performance shortcomings that don't meet the bench marks established by gasoline and diesel powered vehicles. Tesla does a great job of emphasizing their perceived positives, and shoving the negatives and reality under the rug.

You buy a Tesla...it's a "Green" car right because you never go to a gas station, right? But the coal fired electric power plant is chugging along with it's emissions providing that electricity that makes you all feel like you're doing something environmentally friendly.

And before the OP buys his Tesla, make sure you find out what Tesla certified bodyshop accepts your insurance for repairs if, God forbid, you need them. You cannot just go to any old body shop of your choice to get that work done.

Fast Lane Car also does another video about repair hell on a Model 3 with another owner. Guy waited a month for a lug nut.

To be clear..I'm a fan of hybrid tech. I have 163K miles on a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid. I think using that tech to capture previously unused potential energy to extend vehicle range is great. It allows cars to exceed all the previously established bench marks for gasoline and diesel engines. Even high performance. The current Acura NSX is uses hybrid technology, and it's a bad ass car.

I went to Indy to MotoGP in 2013 and 2014. Gas was over $3/gallon back then. It's over 600 miles one way from MD to Indy for me. I drove both times. Both times round trip was about $100 in gas, and the trip didn't take me any longer than in a fuel only car. I didn't have to sit for hours extra waiting for my car to get more range to go further on my journey. In now 7 years between the cost of the car, and fuel I still haven't spent enough money to buy a Model 3 on total cost of owership on my Fusion Hybrid.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020