1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ludicrous mode

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:stupid: Yeah, I don't think they're too practical up here in the frozen north and rural where everywhere we have to go is a drive. But in a moderate / warm climate in and around cities for sure.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Until the AC drains your pile of AAA’s while you’re stuck in bumper to bumper traffic in your utopian ICE-prohibited city of virtue signaling dreams... :moon:

backcountryme likes this.
  3. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Not to mention that the construction of paved roads at public expense was a huge boost to the development of the ICE auto industry.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

But the need for better roads was created by ICE vehicles,
    so was it the chicken or the egg?

5. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

The need was actually commerce development. Internal combustion engines were just part of a solution but wouldn't have gone far w/o road development.

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I can understand people liking the performance aspect but I have always questioned the "I am saving the planet" arrogance of alot of hybrid / EV owners. I was just putzing around the internet and found an interesting article on EV's vs. ICE's and new IC technologies that are getting the efficiency of the engines higher than the efficiency of electrics by Kevin Cameron. While people tout the extremely high efficiency of electric motors they fail to take in to consideration the rest of the system that gets power from the generating station to your vehicle.

From the article:
    64 percent of US electricity in 2018 came from natural gas and coal. If we start with a highly efficient combined-cycle gas-turbine electric plant, running on natural gas at 58 percent efficiency, and delivering power through an average 89-percent-efficient transformer-and-transmission line efficiency, then we have to factor in the battery-electric car’s charge-discharge efficiency of 70 to 80 percent, the transistor power supply’s 90 percent, and the electric motor’s 94 to 96 percent efficiency. Multiply together to get 0.58 x 0.89 x 0.75 x 0.90 x 0.95 = 33 percent overall system efficiency.
    Link to the entire article: https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bi...97gtW5gPW-JCwhrS3KZKmN7Hn-x4HoO4nim4DfhWeJcXc

So with Toyota having a gasoline engine that can achieve 38% thermal efficiency( https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ine-achieves-thermal-efficiency-of-38-percent ), diesels running around 40% efficiency, the engine discussed in the article showing 49 - 58% efficiency I have to wonder if the current trend towards electrics is actually doing more harm than good. Of course this will change if the US starts transitioning towards nuclear energy or there are major advancements in solar or other "green" energy sources. But right now it seems like embracing the new IC technology is the way to go.

terminus est and Boman Forklift like this.
  9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I think they have their place. In large metropolitan areas as work commuters they make some sense. As you daily car in the suburbs or on a road trip...ehh not so much. As with everything a natural equilibrium will be found in the market place at some point.

10. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Nah. Everything is a liberal conspiracy. :rolleyes:

11. In Your Corner

A diversity of vehicles works.
    Vehicles of all colors matter.
    Vehicles in all races are important.
    We should welcome imports, they improve our economy.

Just a little advice for some of you guys, you're getting too dungeony.

Oh, and so long as we're talking cars, if you drop a Ford powertrain into
    a Chevy, do you now have a Ford or a Chevy?
    Asking for a Tinder friend.

Yes, they sent me home with Oxy.

TXFZ1 and Phl218 like this.
  12. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

It's been a bear market for years. Someone paid 100 dollars for a cheesey pair of Raybans and it was off.
    See what the.maeket will bare and hit em. What's does your R6 with the bold new graphics cost now?
    Buy it Rob!

13. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Which was a side effect of the roads being paved for bicycles.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Roads were "paved" before there were bicycles.

15. In Your Corner

You would know.

ChemGuy likes this.
  16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Yep.

17. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Acree remembers when they paved the Appian way. I heard he was swimming in the Rubicon when Caesar crossed it.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Yep they used a bunch of illegals to do the work on the Appian. Caesar was a man with a plan. He got all the hot chicks. Toe coulda learned a thing or three.

19. Jed

Jed mellifluous

20. In Your Corner

appian way pizza.jpg little caesar pizza kit.jpg