1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ludicrous mode

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I think it's a case of the wives (or ex wives) taking the "coach truck" out for coffee runs and then keeping the trucks while dad drives the tesla. :D

2. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Ludicrous mode is awesome. I had no idea until feeling it.

TurboBlew and Boman Forklift like this.
  3. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I saw this the other day. Lady in a skirt and heels, very professional had a kitted up Rubicon. Had the obligatory Salt Life and Jimmy Buffett decals. To each their own just didn't quite fit the mold for me.

4. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Probably keeping quiet about it b/c it will be heavily delayed as Elon is a more a dreamer than a realist. :)

I appreciate all the driver aid tech Tesla has added, which has really forced the hand of every manufacturer to develop. Anything to keep the cagers from killing me...

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

The Salt Life thing makes me chuckle. We are in SE Illinois, pretty sure the Wabash and Embarras Rivers are fresh water, but ok. :D

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Here's a brilliant idea : buying an electric car from a company well known for it's electrical problems :crackup:My ex has an A3 etron and 3 months in, the collision sensor was already buzzing for no apparent reason. What a POS.
    Nevermind the fact that the name "etron" litterally translates to "turd" in French lol.

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You mean the Peter Paul mobile. That's what you do when you need another round of investment capital to have a shot at delivering what you already promised and have run out of cash to build and deliver. Then you go quiet or tell them a truck is coming to keep them from asking questions. If he was going to do it he would have rolled out the first right after Porsche released the Taycan shit mobile.

JJJerry and 418 like this.
  8. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

My biggest issue with Tesla is that they are killing performance essentially with a firmware update. All these high speed modes and all that are only in software. The hardware is already there. You already paid for that. Then they want you to spend even more money to unlock performance that you already paid for.

pscook likes this.
  9. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

You pay for a product, it includes both the hardware and software. One doesn't exist without the other.

track wagon and beac83 like this.
  10. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Still don’t like the idea of paying for hardware performance that I can’t utilize because someone holds it hostage from me. Imagine buying a 6 core computer, but intel says you only get to use 4 of them unless you pay them even more money.

11. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

basically like KTM? seems like a few motorcycle companies are offering "options" that are just unlocking the hardware or giving you different modes. I know KTM is doing it with the street bikes, I assume others are as well (BMW?)?

track wagon likes this.
  12. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Just like every other bike made in the past 10 or 15 years. Want its true potential? ............drag it through the aftermarket catalog.

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Haven't service providers been doing that all along? You know, throttling...

I fucking hate profiteers.

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Is it that much different than jailbreaking an iPhone. My company sponsored this event and the final challenge was to hack a Tesla.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/25/pwn...ug-in-teslas-system-won-model-3-and-cash.html

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

+1

That's what I'm saying. Every other electric car I had been in was fast, but who cares? I like to shift gears and hear the engine etc.

Then I experienced LUDICROUS MODE!!!!!

I kinda wish I hadn't, because I can't afford one yet and most likely in another year or two I could afford it, plus they would have depreciated more.

16. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

But that's adding additional hardware. On the KTM 1290's bikes you can pay more for "modes" that they unlock in the ECU. Want cruise control? pay them more and they unlock it. Track mode? pay more and they unlock it. No additional hardware at all, just flipping a switch in the ECU.

stk0308 likes this.
  17. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Haven't heard of that one, but "emissions" (fart) mode is available.

18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

That happens all the time in computer world once you get out of the consumer realm. You buy an 8 core but only turn on maybe 4 of them. If you need more power later you don't have to mess with replacing the server, just pay the vendor to get the codes to unlock the additional cores. It saves you money on software licenses that way too, as many are licensed based on the performance of the server they are on.

beac83 likes this.
  19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yah its cool.. 6 figure cool?? maybe not
    the range thing would get annoying

20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I get the enjoyment factor of that kind of acceleration but how often
    will you actually get to use that?