1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ludicrous mode

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

2. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Speaking in theory here......

If everyone had electric vehicles next week...would the power grid handle it ?

I know summer here we have brown outs just from people running air conditioning all day. Can't imagine when 300 million Americans plug in their car before bed.

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Not even close.

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Did you see the story from the 2019 black friday in CA where folks were lined up on the interstate to charge up their Teslas??? I predict white peeples rioting. And thats just the beginning if some ambitious ICE drivers block superchargers...lol

6. Jed

Jed mellifluous

[​IMG]

(but this dude kicks ass for getting out there and doing something.)

backcountryme likes this.
  7. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I read an article not long ago by a guy who ran an electricity generator. He said the service to most streets in North America couldn’t handle having more then about 10 or so EVs. Not with the current demand anyway.

8. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

Have we bought the car yet? Lets get some pics in here if so. If not, lets get some pics in here of some killer Teslas then.

9. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I’m picking up my new work vehicle in 4 days. 2020 Chevy 1500 high country with the 3.0 duramax diesel. It will self identify as electric.

vfrket, masshole and Phl218 like this.
  10. Phl218

Phl218 .

Welcome to the small diesel club.

we all identify as electric. Because lot of us power generators that power EV’s

11. In Your Corner

I recall reading an article that said that Tesla was aware of the grid capabilities
    in the neighborhoods of their customers in order to avoid grenading transformers
    in areas that might experience multiple sales. They wanted to keep that wrinkle
    under the radar for those weighing the pros and cons of buying a Tesla.

12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

No and I won’t anytime soon. It was really fun and if I had a bunch of disposable money at that time I might have considered a used one.

I think I will continue driving my natural gas civic with 195k miles and buy a toy. Most likely an Ariel Atom, Noble, Lotus Elise or Exige, Porsche GT4 or possibly but less likely, a newer Viper or mid engine Corvette.

I’ve never done this before but my best friend and I are talking about splitting the purchase, insurance, maintenance etc. Then put into a kitty xx per mile driven and trade weeks, months, etc. It will probably stay at my house more often as I have more available garage space. We haven’t researched it yet, but may even have to put it in a LLC but I think we would only do that if we brought another person into the fractional ownership equation.

If anyone here has done something like that I’m open to suggestions.

Senna likes this.
  13. In Your Corner

That's a really good idea for the right responsible friends.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  14. TurboBlew

might be better to own it outright and do the peer rental thing with your buddy.

15. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Those old Nobles are HOT.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. Boman Forklift

Maybe? My concern for that is what is a fair price per mile, week, etc. We wouldn’t really know until it was sold. Plus one of us would have to shoulder the entire 40-100k investment, I would rather we both have skin in the game.

Based on my previous “fun” cars, 930 turbo, Mini Cooper S, Viper, E39 M5 with a blower, I seem to enjoy them more if they are occasional use. I like it to feel special and exciting whenever I go drive it, so I suspect I won’t put a lot of miles on whatever we get.

He already sold his commercial building and has the money. I’m the one slowing down the process at this point, but hopefully mine sells before the end of the summer.

17. Boman Forklift

We trust each other and have been friends for 30 years and even if one of us totaled it, that wouldn’t ruin the friendship, insurance would kick in and we would deal with it.

18. TurboBlew

thats what complicates it. What if you both want to use it the same day/week? If you or he damages... are you responsible for any portion? Then there is the insurance... Ultimately youll have draw up some kind of contract so there are NO assumptions made and would probably be best under some kinda LLC. Which is why I suggested the owner/renter arrangement for simplicity.

19. Boman Forklift

So are you in for a 1/3?

Phl218 and TurboBlew like this.
  20. TurboBlew

on an ariel atom... sure!! :D Might could even get it stored in a primo garage space...lol