1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Yeah, I can see if you are into it heavy and competing at a higher level, you need good shit. But a first timer should be able to ease into it at a reasonable level.

Steak Travis likes this.
  2. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Did you get the MIL or MOA version?
    Which Reticle?

That's on my list for the 6mm I just got.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Nightforce is right up there at the top as far as tracking.

No reason not to go for the 14x.
    The lower magnification range is much more conducive to game sighting/acquisition at closer distances. The first focal plane reticle (damn near a must, I think, for a scope expected to pull double duty) makes use of the reticle's ranging capability at any magnification. 3x-4x is a good magnification for 100 yd hunting; 5x+, less so.

Higher magnification scopes (15x+) can be a real bitch to control when dialed up to max...the target will jump wildly at every heartbeat. Add adrenalin, high heart rate and, even on a bipod, 15x can be near uncontrollable. If you think you're gonna be locked into a bench for the majority of your shooting, sure, get 20x+. Otherwise, the higher magnification is a waste.

4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

5. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I can consistently get hits on a 24”x36” steel at 1200. I’m sure it’s not up to your level of marksmanship, but it’s good enough for me. I’m not shooting competition, just having fun and banging some steel.

2 moa is nothing to brag about, I get it. I would certainly tighten that up with a $4k rifle/scope combo, but I’m happy with it.

6. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

As a newbie (and this was last year this time) I picked up the Burris XTR II 5-25 for longer range. It retailed in the $1500 range and at the time the new Ruger Precision Rifles were coming out, that was the combo that Ruger was showing to the magazine folks, so that's what I got (a few others recommended them in that price range as well). I haven't had a chance to do much with it yet, but should be able to get out in the next few weeks and put together some loads and see what the AR likes. Eventually the plan is to move the 5-25 to a better bolt gun (6.5 more than likely) and put something like a 1-6x on the PWS 308.

7. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

It depends on what you want to do with it. Just shoot once in awhile and say I shot a 1000 yards or be able to accurately dial for distance? What do you do if your target is at 850 yards and you'd like to make a first round hit, or 1200, or like one of the courses of fire I shot yesterday, 6 targets, all 2 moa or smaller, two shots at each, hit or miss, far to near in 2 minutes. 550, 425, 385, 335, 280 and 220? Oh and change position between targets on a barricade made of 2 1/2 ft diameter plastic drainage pipe. :)

You want something that tracks accurately up and down. Cheap scopes tend to fail at that option. PST is a good budget scope, Burris XTRII also, glass is OK but it has great turrets and I like the reticle. I've got an Athlon Ares that has worked well so far on a backup rifle. I have a Athlon Cronus BTR on my comp rifle, glass is great, turret clicks could be a little more defined but I haven't had an issue, to me it's a great buy at $1350. Bushnells are decent too and can be found a bit cheaper. If you have the money the ATACR is a great scope, but at that price you have a lot of options, Vortex razor, Khales, Minox, S&B..... All have different reticles and a different feel to them. I'd say S&B and Minox have the best glass, followed by Khales and Vortex. The high end scopes also tend to hold their value. One of the guys in our club owns CS Tactical, he usually is competitive on price and very knowledgeable. https://www.cstactical.com/

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

All I meant was that if a scope doesn't have enough elevation for distance but is otherwise good to go, all it needs is a little lift.

9. Newsshooter

I was shooting 20X off barricades at 2 moa or smaller targets yesterday. If I don't have to move to multiple targets in a stage I'm usually about 20x or so, one target, no moving and mirage isn't bad and I'm at max power, 29x. I never shoot off a bench, prone with a bipod. One COF yesterday was shoot one target at 220 yards and another at 440, get up and run 20 yards, lay down and do it again, 10 rounds, so you do it five times if you don't run out of time in 2 minutes, and you started 10 yards back, I was at 20X. Even off the barricades with movement between them I'm usually at 15X. That being said I shot my best long range score, shooting from 200-1K, on a hot summer day, and was at 10X most of the time due to the mirage so you don't have to have that much magnification.

10. Newsshooter

Or kentucky windage, I kept a guy on paper at our long range clinic last year when he ran out of travel just past 600. We also had twenty mph winds. At 1K we were holding the crosshairs about 50 feet up on the hill behind the targets and 20 feet left for the wind. I measured with my scope and gave him a spot to aim at on the hill. Couldn't believe we kept him on paper in those conditions.

11. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

What's most common for target size on PRS style shoots, 1-2moa?

12. Newsshooter

Depends on the stage and distance, some stages are harder, some easier. Probably 1.5-2 moa, depends a lot on how it is set up. 2 moa seems big till you're laying upside down on a roof top or crawling into a dog house with three ports and you have to use all of them to shoot multiple targets under a time constraint. And that doesn't even take into account wind. It takes a lot of practice so shoot off improvised rests accurately. It's a lot of fun, and you won't get bored with it, though many get frustrated at the difficulty. Our long range matches that are mostly prone from 200-1K have a waiting list each month, the steel match doesn't always fill up. It is much harder though you don't shoot past 550 yards. The match yesterday was pretty forgiving, all the stages were cleanable, though most won't, and many time out before getting all their shots off. That isn't the case at a national match where a lot of stage won't be cleaned or only cleaned by a couple people. Club matches need to be a bit more forgiving for newer shooters. I had a buddy that was pretty discouraged yesterday, it was his second steel match, which is set up like PRS shoots. 12 stages, 80 rounds max, he timed out on most stages and his hit percentage was probably 20%, he's been shooting the long range matches for about a year. The winners hit percentage was 90%. PRS match winners are usually just above 70% and most of the shooting is between 200-800 yards.

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Starting tomorrow, the club I just joined has "long range practice" every Tuesday afternoon/evening. I plan I trying to go as often as possible.
    At the end of April is the first PRS type of match. They have "skill builder" day on Saturday with ranges of 200, 300 & 500 yards. Sunday is the 600-1000 yard event.
    I'm guessing that its not a true PRS style shoot because they have the military style range(pit with targets that go up and down), and the only impact are is right behind them. So each stage will be at the same distance, then move to a different disyance and resetup.

14. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

It is PRS style there. They bring out steel for the matches. Yes it's a square range so you do have to move to change distance for each stage but it's still fun. There will be a variety of stage challenges, barricades, tank traps, etc.

15. Newsshooter

It's still good practice, it takes awhile to get comfortable shooting off props, adding in different distances, changing positions and a timer adds all kinds of stress. At our hardcore long range match we'll have to do things like shoot two shots at the head off a cement block at 425 yards, move to weak side and shoot two more, then move to unsupported prone and shoot two more. You can do things to make a square range harder. :) It also comes in handy for hunting as you'll get comfortable at distance and in different positions.

16. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Exactly!

17. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Where are you seeing the athlon Cronus for $1350? I like the reticle and if you say the tracking is good then that’s definitly moving up in my list. I just don’t know anyone that’s shot an athlon

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 is backordered(possibly up to 5-6 months they are saying) through a friend that can get me a big discount, and I don't want to waste the summer waiting for it. An Amazon seller shows 4 in stock for $1100. Any other options for $1100 or a little more(like up to $1500 Max) that would be better? I can't justify stepping up to the Razor.

19. Newsshooter

I called a shop I know that usually has stock, they're out too with no date on shipment. For the price difference I'd get the Athlon Cronus BTR, better glass more magnification. I love mine!!!!
    SWFA is another solid choice.

20. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

$1800 is too much(Cronus)for me to step up to.
    SWFA for whatever reason, doesn't intrigue me.