1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

That's a great deal

2. Newsshooter

Midway dragbag is the cheapest option, handle is in the wrong place but both of mine have held up Ok. Voodoo seems to get better reviews

3. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I couldn't say no to it.
    Once I get a scope, I can go play with my buddy that has the superfancy (with cape!) bergara 6mm rifle

4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Thanks. Pro Series Sniper bag?

5. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I'm going to build a .224 Valkyrie upper. It should perform well but just realize you're not going to have a lot of energy on target at long range. It will be a great cartridge for paper punching, matches, target shooting, and up to midrange hunting. It will be far better than .223, and the best ballistics you can get out of an AR size receiver set, but not a magic bullet. Federal and JP Rifles worked quietly to develop this and they've had good results. JP has been shooting it in matches.

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Do you think it will have much advantage over a 223 as a mid range(out to maybe 400 yards) varmit(coyote and smaller) rifle? Talking AR-15 of course. It looks like a great paper cartridge.

7. blkduc

Yes absolutely. I meant more along the lines of midrange deer. The hype of this has been strong so I just don't want people to get the wrong idea that you will be taking Elk at 900 yards LOL. You know how it is, stuff gets hyped too far and people get carried away. The bullet will perform close to 6.5C for elevation and wind but won't have the same punch.
    Yeah the numbers look good, it should be a great varmint round. What you will gain over .223 is less drop, better in the wind, and more energy. Taking a coyote at 400 will be childs play. It has low recoil too, I want to shoot some local matches with it.

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I can't remember the last time I used either of my soft cases.
    Some soft bags in the $200 range...if that's your thing.
    Product categories Drag Bags and Cases Archive | Sniper Country PX

9. Newsshooter

What bullet are you planning to use, 90's take up a lot of room in a magazine?

10. Newsshooter

The pro is new, looks like better fabric and maybe the handle is in a better spot, the cheaper one is often on sale for 79, but it doesn't carry level.

My new favorite is the armageddon bag, but it's expensive, brownells had some overuns for cheap a few months back.

11. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I'm OK with trying out the Pro for $130. I'll order one up and see how I like it.

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I like hard cases, but the one I have is too narrow and the Plano and those type just don't do it for me. I wish someone made a nice hard case where the gun sit upright.

13. Newsshooter

I'll use my pelican if traveling, otherwise it's always a soft case. I'm usually shooting at least couple times a month.

14. blkduc

Good question...not sure yet. I'm waiting a little bit. I've got other things going on so I'll do it later this summer, by that time I'll see how other people are getting along with it and see what's working and what's not working.

15. Pudge

Pudge Well-Known Member

Got a Sako A7 Long Range in 6.5 creedmoor for christmas. Finally picked out a scope and mounted a Sig tango 4 6-24x50. It came with a bell and carlson stock, heavy barrel and muzzle break.

Took it out and a friends rpr in 308 last weekend and zeroed both in and shot out to 300, 600, 700, and 800 on steel 6 inch plates and the 3/4 size idpa targets. I'm not a good shot and got 6 inch groups at 800 after some coaching from some of the more experienced shooters there. I had never shot past 200 yards before that day. After a little coaching I couldn't miss on the 6 inch plates. I'm hooked. A bonus was my rifle grouped better with the cheapest ammo out of 9 different bullets I had bought.

My friend took my sako and had 3 inch groups at 800 so room for improvement on my part.

16. Newsshooter

I was thinking the new 95's might be fun in a bolt rifle but then you might as well go 6mm.

17. blkduc

Nice shooting! Sounds like you've got the fundamentals down pretty good. What ammo where you getting the best results with?

18. Pudge

Pudge Well-Known Member

I got the best results from Federal non typical 140 grain. It didn't like the lower grain bullets I had and would have to look back to check what they were. Took notes on each bullet on recommendation from my friend so I'll try and find some different ones and try them next time out.

blkduc likes this.
  19. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

Rifle club was awesome, got my rifle and pistol certification (aka I didn’t do anything stupid today). Can’t wait to go back next Monday. I really need to work on my form and plan on watching some videos and maybe even doing some exercises. I found that after 20 rounds my left arm was getting really tired from shooting prone. I have a lot to learn which makes it that much more exciting.

[​IMG]

terminus est likes this.
  20. Pudge

Pudge Well-Known Member

Congrats!

Looks like a nice place. We have hay fields. Ha

TheGrouchyCat likes this.