1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Bag showed up today. Looks really good. Put my Tax in it and yes, it balances well. It will probably take me a year to figure out what to put in it/organize it. I'm used to bringing a range bag, so we'll see if this does away with that, or at least stay in the truck.

I forgot about a shooting mat. Thinking one from Midway on that too.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939101910/midwayusa-pro-series-competition-shooting-mat

2. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I have that one, it's nice with padding. Not good for hiking in the woods since it's so big, but great for range work.

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I'll probably order it up. What other stuff will I need to get started?

Notebook for recording shots/wind, etc?

4. blkduc

--Yes notebook.

--Ballistic app, I use Strelok Pro. It's something like $14. You have to input good data to get good firing solutions. You will need your bullet BC, environmental conditions, (weather meter helps, some phones read conditions ok) velocity (if you don't have it, just start with the factory numbers then adjust later), cartridge info, rifle info (barrel length and twist rate), scope height, etc. All of this is to put into the app. Once you have your data in, then zeroed, you can just punch in the range of your target and you will get an elevation and windage solution. Good data in = good data out. You can also get started by using an online ballistic calculator.

--You will need to read wind. It can be learned with practice or a weather meter like a Kestrel which reads wind speed at your location. But you still need to read it downrange. Gopher has crosswinds normally and there are some windflags to help. Summer can be weird because the sections of trees that block some of the wind, then open areas where the wind flows through...depends on the day.

--Bipod

--Rear bag, lots of good ones I like Tab Gear. Armaggedon makes good bags too.

--Read this article: https://www.primalrights.com/librar...rifle-marksmanship-zero-force-firing-position This is called, natural point of aim, Greg has just renamed it and has his own technique. I took his class a few years ago, the guy is a perfectionist. NPA is having your rifle on target and you are giving the least amount of input to the rifle as possible, then you send the shot. NPA applies to all positions but that article talks about prone.

That's what you need to start learning. There is a lot to learn and it's a ton of fun. Setting up and understanding a ballistic app is important. Learning the fundamentals is like racing, after you learn the basics you practice them and then stop thinking about them because they get turned over to your subconscious...then you've got it down.

terminus est likes this.
  5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I downloaded Sterling Pro last fall when you mentioned it and played around with it a bit while muzzle loader hunting.

Got my bipod and rear bag, but the bag is more for bench work. I'll have to buy another when I finally shoot a competition.

A Kestrel is on my list, along with a Magnetospeed chrono. Those I will probably hold off on for a little while. A sling too.

Thanks for the tips. Now I just need to finally get out and shoot.

6. Pudge

Pudge Well-Known Member

What rear bag would you suggest for bench shooting with a harris 6 to 9 inch bipod?

I've never shot prone but might try it next time out. I've seen several posts elsewhere on the different bags for different positions and good god it's a bunch to pick from and not sure what to start with. I will be shooting from a bench most of the time. No competitions just shooting steel at a friends property.

7. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Rear bags are personal preference, chassis usually feels better with a bigger bag, traditional stock tends to work better with a smaller bag. I usually carry a few, cylinder, flat rectangle, and one about 6x8, it gets used front and rear with barricades. I also have a bigger one too. :)

I have ballistic AE and Strelok and something else on my phone. They all work well, Ballistic AE has the best interface for me. Strelok is a little quicker when making changes but I need my reading glasses to read it. The weather flow meters work pretty well and aren't too expensive. You don't have to have the ballistics version.

8. Pudge

Pudge Well-Known Member

Thanks I have a bell and carlson stock for now. I read the link from blkduc after I posted and ordered the tab gear rear bag and will go from there. Shot a ruger precision and really liked the hand placement of it better than a traditional stock.

I've only been shooting once long range and used my friends phone app calculator. I'll have to see what he was using and will check those you mentioned out.

Another expensive hobby. My friend is pushing out from 800 to 1200 to 1400 yards when the field dries up enough to get a dozier in. He just ordered a camera set up for spotting that will be nice to have at that distance.

9. blkduc

Like Newsshooter said above. Honestly if you're just casually shooting and mostly bench, just fill some bags with sand use that. You just posted while I was typing, I see you ordered a Tab Gear bag that will work good. I still recommend filling some sand bags of various sizes. Make some a little bigger than the one you just ordered.

10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I was looking at the Kestrel 2500. Doesn't have humidity, but looks like everything else for $150. Wasn't going to do a ballistic model, as I'll use my phone.

11. Pudge

Pudge Well-Known Member

Thanks

I think I'll cancel that order and do what you suggested.

12. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Finally got he Swarovski back. Added the ballistic turret . Should be a great hunting rig
    Win m70 super grade 30-06 .

[​IMG]

gt#179 and renegade17 like this.
  13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Finally got out to shoot the 6.5 for the first time. Started at the 50 and got it dialed in in a couple shots. Moved to the 100m range and shot 3 shot, then cleaned it. First group was about 5/8" and the next group was just over 3/8".
    After quickly sightings in my 22-250 at the 50 and then 100m, I moved to the 200m range. My first group was the best, coming in right at 1"(took a couple shots to get my dial in correct). I then cleaned and shot a 5 shot group fairly quickly. That one opened up to 1 5/8", as did the next 5 shot group, because I had a flier on that one(the other 4 were at 1").
    I then cleaned and shot a 5 shot group using the Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ELD-X. That was a 1" group with 3 of them making one ragged hole.
    The scope that is on it is temporary, and the rings are too short. I have my cheek piece all the way down and still have to squeeze down awkwardly to see. More trigger time and I think I'll be OK. Tuesday afternoon is the first Long Range Practice of the season, and I think I can make 600 yards with this scope setup, maybe 800. I'll run out of dial before 1000.
    My rear bag is definitely not correct for a chassis gun. IMAG2216.jpg

The sad thing is, I shot a 3 shot group with my Stevens 200 22-250 with a 4-12 Bushnell 3200 and it grouped at under 1.5" at 200m.

14. Steak Travis

zero'd the 30-06 yesterday and it shot great. The swaro BT system works really well. I'm going to go back when I don't have a time limit and really take my time but was just less than 2inch groups at 200 yards. The turret system put kill shots via the app at 300 and 500 and could refine it with some more range time.

Did the safety class for 600-1250 range and learned I don't have any business over there until I have a proper rifle and scope and after talking with two pro shooters, I'll definitely buy once cry once but will be good to go for awhile. Tikka and Nightforce here I come

15. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

You don’t have to spend big bucks on a scope. I do pretty well at 1200 yds with my $500 Savage .308/ $200 Bushnell scope combo.

Just like motorcycle racing, it’s all about fundamentals and trigger time.

16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

What is pretty well? I'm curious what $200 bushnell scope has the ability to dial from 100 to 1200 and back and everywhere in between accurately?

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

If your scope has good resolution at 1000yds, just get ya a 20moa rail/scope mount.

18. Steak Travis

I’m interested in a scope that tracks well and won’t be sitting there wondering if it’s going to work next time.

I’m pretty set on a tikka 6.5 so that’s the cheap part .

But debating on a nightforce 14x f1 shv $1250 or the atacr 5-25 f1 for $3k

The atacr would be a one time purchase and I’m good for a long time but 3k is a lot for something I may get bored doing which is why I’m considering the shv which I hope would be good enough to tell me yes or no on whether to go all in.

19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 6-24 on the way. This is my first attempt at long range, so I cant justify $2-$3k on a scope at this point, if ever.

20. Steak Travis

Yeah I’m wondering if i hit 1k a couple times then I may be like meh ok that’s cool. I think the shv does that and if I do get bored , it’s still fine for hunting or can sell.

The lr class I went to yesterday had a couple pros and one world record guy and of course they were saying better to just get something good...but all they do is shoot Long range. I’ve got other hobbies and expenses :)