1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Farther up the page you mentioned getting the Cronus for $1350. Was that a hookup, I assume?
    I ordered the Viper on Amazon. If it really is in stock, I should be here by the weekend. If it isn't in stock, I will really be on the hunt, as that was the only place I found that had it.

2. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

my Dad picked up a tikka 6.5 CTR this Saturday after I told him about them. Unfortunately he's 4 hours away so I can't play with it before I get one.

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Finally, my new glass showed up today. Vortex Viper PST Gen2 5-25x50MRAD in a Spuhr SPh3602 20moa mount. I will plan on shooting it out to 200m tomorrow after the NRL22 match.
    IMAG2263.jpg

sanee, Newsshooter and ToofPic like this.
  4. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Good scope, awesome rifle!

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Thanks. Seems like its taken forever!

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Got to shoot yesterday afternoon. Wind wasn't to bad. Coming over my right shoulder, probably 3-5mph, some gusts. Here are the 2 groups it shot. Top one with 4 shots includes 1 that another shooter shot. Lower groups was me after a 1Mil adjustment. Going to take a while to get used to Mil, but the gun is a keeper.
    IMAG2265.jpg

7. blkduc

Yeah it's a shooter that's awesome. Don't worry about mil, it's super easy. Just forget trying to equate it to inches because there's no reason to. That was what I was doing at first and I just confused myself.

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Yeah, I was trying to not do anything but use the reticle as a measurement scale, but it will take some getting used to.

9. Steak Travis

Yeah I can't decide if I'm going to go MOA or MIL. MOA seems like it'd be easier for me but apparently in matches everyone is calling mils? I have no idea if that accurate or not.

I decided to get some plumbing work done that I've been putting off which took from my gun fund but right now I'm debating the Cronus or Burris XTR. Just going to try and get some dealers on the hide to fight over giving me the best deal when the time comes but I think the Cronus is probably better.

10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

If my Talos is any indication, I wouldn't be afraid of whatever Athlon you choose. I'm going to buy an Argos BTR 6-24x50FFP for my 22 and move the Talos to my muzzle loader.

Of course I'm really happy with my Viper PST also...

11. Steak Travis

Have you taken out the tikka again? I've got great pricing on a tikka CTR and a Cronus and trying to decide if it's just gear acquisition syndrome in the morning when I'm bored and on the internet or just to save my money hah. Going to the range today with what I have to see if I still get the bug for something better than my hunting rifles. The groups I'm seeing people getting with nice rifles do look satisfying.

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I have been to long range practice night the last 2 weeks. First was 600 and it gave me some better dope for a skill builders PRS match I shot last Saturday. I ended up with top score for the day(30 people). Then this past Tuesday was 1000 yards. I wasn't nailing X's(even though it was the 10" X ring target). Mostly 8's, 9's and 10's. I think I mostly have to work on body position and possibly some different loads.
    One of the guys I'm shooting with is bringing some handloads to try out. I'm also going to have him shoot it, as he is 100x the shooter I am at this point(he was on the national palma team last years).
    I'm planning on shooting every Tuesday.

I would say a CTR and Cronus would be a great combo. Don't forget a 20moa base(I assume it doesn't have one already).

Steak Travis likes this.
  13. Steak Travis

CTR, Cronus, ARC m10 1 piece 20 Moa mount is what I'm looking at eventually.

Got to play with an night force SHV today which might push the tikka again. It would go well on one of my rifles that needs new glass and that gets used at the farm. One day I'll have a target rifle but it keeps getting pushed down on the priority list.

14. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I'm late to the party. What gun is this?

15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Tikka T3x Tax A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor.

16. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Thank you

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

18. blkduc

19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

As long as they're set so they aren't too sensitive and don't flash for too long after an impact.

20. blkduc

Yeah like that Border Wars match at Gopher. That was sketchy LOL.