1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lawn mowers: Honda vs Toro

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Apr 27, 2016.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

I got this all....
    [​IMG]

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

That's overkill for a future project. I'm just tryin' to get sustained maintenance...and leaf mulching.

BigBird likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you want something that lasts go commercial zero turn. If you want to keep replacing them just grab a Deere from HD.

4. fastfreddie

I could buy 7 HD JDs for that money. Your suggestion does confirm my decision making. I won't mind beatin' the shit out of a lawn tractor, but beatin' the shit out of a ZT would bother me immensely.
    The real question was, which lawn tractor will tolerate my use best? At some point, the property will be clear and smooth enough to merit a really nice mower, but that day is still years away. There's lotsa hardscaping visualized. In the mean time, I just need to keep it from getting overgrown while maintaining at least some semblance of a yard.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

You are probably going to need something Professional or at least near professional if it is going to last in that terrain. It won't be cheap.

I have a yard that is also not level at all, although my 0.5 acres is a bit smaller to say the least. I bought a Toro Timemaster 30" walk behind. I treat it as disposable. I take care of the engine and blades, but eventually the deck will crack. When it fails, I will probably just pay someone to do my lawn like 90% of my neighbors. As a note, the bulldozer wouldn't do me any good as the city mandated all the undulations for run-off / drainage reasons. I also have a 25 to 30 foot drop (never actually measured, just estimated) from the highest corner to the opposite lowest corner of my lot.

Sorry. I don't know which of the cheaper tractors will last the longest. If the engine and mechanical parts are still good, find a welder to patch it up. An HD JD is probably as good as any other and better than most. I didn't think commercial zero turns were $15k + range , but I haven't priced them.

7. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Buy a used Kubota BX series tractor with mid mount mower. It can handle the abuse and you will probably be able to sell it in 5 years for what you pay for it today.

V5 Racer likes this.
  8. fastfreddie

Holy cow, steppin' up is expensive. I'm gonna have to rethink this...
    (Translation: how to sell the idea?)

I might/could see $4K-ish for a good lawn tractor with a vacuum/shredder attachment. This would handle my yard maintenance requirements. As I said, lotsa trees...with the accompanying leaves and deadfall branches. I will always need this capability.

Heavy equipment, Kubota, 4x4 garden (subcompact) tractor, etc., way outta the picture. I'll rent that stuff when the time comes or pay someone for those jobs.

Appreciate the replies. They've given me a new and valuable perspective.

Mongo, nice lawn mower! That's the direction I'm headed. According to buyer's guides, I should be looking at $8K+ machinery...not happenin'.
    I'll be looking at that D170, it's brother the S240 and comparable offerings from the other reputable MFGs.

9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

52" Exmark Turf Tracer

Its pretty damn sweet.

terminus est likes this.
  10. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Whatever you do, don't buy one of these Craftsman mowers. Doesn't mulch for shit, frame is flexy, usually smokes at startup like bad valve seals (has since new). But, it serves my needs, I'm not pushing, and takes up barely any more room than a pusher so it fits easily in the garage. Then again, I
    m not all that picky, either... mower.jpg

11. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

https://www.simplicitymfg.com/na/en_us/product-catalog/lawn-tractors/broadmoor-lawn-tractor.html
    Simplicity offers lawn tractors with true suspension. And if you are looking for a zero turn go with a Ferris. It has true suspension as well.

12. fastfreddie

A bit on the high end of my $ needs/wants and I need more than 4" of cut height. I did look at the Legacy XL for its 4x4...too much $, like all the 4x4s.
    I'll look at their other stuff when it comes time.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

You armor all the tires on that thing? Looks too clean

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Jesus and Jose are good mowers.

backcountryme likes this.
  15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Or Jose's twin brother.......HoseB

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Mine wasn't that much when I got it but given the amount of lawn and the lack of mowing time during growing season I did have to step up and get a bigger deck and higher blade speed. Still not commercial by any stretch but it works.

Lately I've been looking at the leaf collection systems but dayum, that's not cheap either. Then the other day the apple tree lost a branch, got me thinking shredder/chipper... Yeah it'd save me a few hundred in buying chips/chunks for the smoker but again, stuff is expensive :(

17. fastfreddie

I initially saw this and it's the only thing like it that I've seen in my shallow search...MSRP $1700.
    Up to 2" limbs, attaches to roughly 40 different brand/model mowers, has a hand-held vacuum hose attachment option, $150.

Reviews say the deck hose can clog during "hose-side" turns and you do have to watch out for catching the hose on hose side obstacles...just hit those obstacles from the other direction.

Agri-Fab 32 cu. ft. Capacity Chip-N-Vac-45-0540 - The Home Depot

BigBird likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I like....

19. fastfreddie

Also available through Tractor Supply, Northern Tools...even Walmart. o_O

20. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Agri-fab stuff is ok. They do use some light weight parts though. I used to work for the distributor in Western Canada. Sold lots of their stuff before they started whoring it out to the mass merchant stores. It will do the job, but you have to feed the limbs in really slow.