1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lawn mowers: Honda vs Toro

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Apr 27, 2016.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

I must say, I have a plug in lawn mower that got used 2 times and it sucks. I'm on the look out for a gas lawn mower now, but are they any sales on these things. it's almost winter and everything is still the same price as the summer

2. Critter

Critter Registered

The best lawn mower is "landscaper auto" works great and is usually reliable

BigBird likes this.
  3. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

This was my thread a while ago. I ended up getting a Honda. I got the HRX217 (I think that’s the model). It’s got the gray plastic deck and the 190cc motor. I’ve ised it for two seasons and love it. The thing I like the most is the option to mulch, bag or both. The Versa Mow feature lets you open or close the chute to the bag several different levels so you can mulch a little and bag a little all at the same time.

My buddy has a Toro AWD model with the engine that supposedly never needs an oil change and has had nothing but issues with it.

Go for the Honda. It’ll probably be the last mower you’ll ever buy.

BigBird likes this.
  4. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

I bought a Honda once. Made one round of the yard and took it back. I hated it because of the rear wheel drive. Went back and got the Toro with front wheel drive. Much easier to use.

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

Awesome. Anything to support HRC :)

Did you get it at a box store or local dealer?

6. sharkattack

I picked it up at Home Depot. If I recall, I got it in Feb or Mar. I don’t think they ever go on crazy sales, but I had about $150 or so in Home Depot gift cards so I went there. There is a difference between the Toro decks that are sold at places like Home Depot and the ones that are sold at regular lawn mower dealers. The Toro decks at Home Depot are supposedly thinner and not as heavy duty as the ones sold by dealers.

BigBird likes this.
  7. 3twins

3twins Well-Known Member

Is this true? Residential vs commercial decks yeah, but I can't see them stamping 2 different gauge decks for a residential mower regardless where they are sold.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can't see the thickness of the deck mattering to me - well, I would prefer lighter on a push mower.

9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Easier to go up 100% slopes :Poke::D

10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Oohhh... Walls of grass!

11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I ended up having to replace my HD JD rider, due to a rotted deck, and dwindling power.

I went in a bit of a different direction...
    download.jpg

12. sharkattack

I’m pretty sure it’s the case. At least on the Toro that I looked at. The one at the lawn dealer was very solid, much more so than the one my neighbor has. And they were the same model number. My neighbor bought his about a week or two before I saw this at the lawn dealer, so they’re both of the relatively same mfg date/timeframe.

13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

May have mentioned it earlier in the thread, but a mower I *don't* recommend is a Husky... got one 2 seasons ago with 4wd, mulch/bag and it sucks. Bogs down way too easy in mulch mode if the grass is even slightly high, and the clutch drags badly when trying to roll backwards. Was lured in by the brand name and fancy features that I really didn't need cause it was only a few bucks more than a basic push mower (they're getting harder to find). Wish I had got a basic high wheeled non-propelled model.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Would that be 0 or 90 degrees? :D

15. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Neither, but you could average the two.
    Vertical doesn't have an equivalent percent. It's yooooooge. :D

16. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Go to Brothers Two in Calgary and buy some Aspen 4 for winter storage. You will never have starting issues again.

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

what is that thing? a zero turn? it has like 18 wheels

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

With that many wheels it should be less than zero.

BigBird likes this.
  20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Didn't want to start another thread, but...
    Which lawn tractor handles rough terrain and abuse the best? Anything with suspension other than the bicycle seat springs, or a deck that follows the terrain irrespective of the chassis's attitude while rollin' through the whoops?
    My property, for the most part, doesn't have a flat spot on it anywhere and lotsa trees. Only 2 acres, not looking for a bushhog and do not want to pay zero turn money.
    I've been using this $1K Ariens 42" 17.5hp gear drive with a roller kit on the deck, but metal fatigue is wearin' down the chassis, the seat's hinge has ripped the sheet metal apart and I can feel the footboards giving way.
    A friend's comparably sized JD hydrostatic drive is awesome to use (his propoerty is flat), but I can see turnin' that into a pile eventually if I brought one home.
    [​IMG]
    What do I need to be looking at as far as model types and how much will I be spending to get there?