1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lawn mowers: Honda vs Toro

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Apr 27, 2016.

1. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

I have a 20 year old Craftsman/Tecumseh. I have never changed the air filter. I have never changed the oil but I top it off when the molasses on the dipstick looks low. I don't drain the gas, winterize it, or use Stabil. All I've ever done is replace the blade because the original was chewed up from being used as a rock crusher and stump grinder. After all the abuse it still starts on the second or third pull every time. The cut quality and mulching isn't great, but it bags well and won't die.

2. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

My HRX217 is still going strong as well. Although I lost the velcro strap (I stole from the office) to keep it running while I have the bag off. Gotta get a new one.

BigBird likes this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

i like that lifehack..will have to steal it...not the velcro but the idea :D

sharkattack likes this.
  4. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

Who do people bag? 80% of the nitrates needed can be supplied by mulching the clippings back into the grass. I don’t get it.

BigBird likes this.
  5. josh7owens

josh7owens E-Kart Champ

Solid idea, might do the same.

sharkattack likes this.
  6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Too much mulch is not a good thing.

7. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Just got the wife a 40V battery mower. Seeing as all it does it about 20min of trimming every couple of weeks, figured not having to deal with gas and it being a matter of pushing a button to go would be nice. So far so good.

8. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

EGO?

9. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Those Ego mowers get great reviews. I've thought about getting one to trim around areas I can't get to with my ride-on.

10. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

What exactly is the theft?

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

12. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

13. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I’ve had a Toro for about 10 years now. Last year, the self-drive gear went on it and while it was in the shop I borrowed all my neighbors’ mowers to “shop around” and try out different brands/models. After accepting the cost to fix was stupid in comparison, I went and bought the exact same mower again. I LOVE my Toro.

14. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Just a GreenWorx. Was $300 canadian, so about $200USD. Looked at the EGO, but for the amount we need one, this should be fine.

15. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I bag at least part of the yard because I don't like the lines of piled grass clippings the mower leaves behind.

In other words, bagging beats raking.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The 15+ year old JD (Home Depot version) is finally starting to wear out. Tires go flat within a week, the gear for the steering is going to start stripping out soon. Trying to figure out when to start warning the boss we may need a new one soon....

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I take it she doesn't read the beeb.

BigBird likes this.
  18. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I bought the cheapest one they had 13 years ago. $900! Got 13 harder than normal seasons out of it. Original front tires were 100% slicks. Ended up running straight Slick50 in the motor the last few years. The hood fell off, the seat was ripped, the steering wheel was busted and the deck mounts finally rusted through. That was the final straw. I would straighten the deck, and by the end of the mow, I was different heights from side to side. That was a good look! :crackup:

19. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

I just got an EGO 56v mower and trimer, pretty damn impressive. Mower is super quite and cuts great, trimer does a great job too. Between 3 scooters, about to be 3 motorcycles, 2 cars and a van one less internal combustion mower made a lot of sense to me. Not to mention I can store it upright.

Gas or electric, get your blade sharpened annually.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not in detail for sure :D

Actually hope she sees this and it softens the blow...

I'm actually happy with the life I got out of the current mower, just don't want to spend the money on a new one. Although a faster zero turn would be really really nice.