1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Las Vegas shooting

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Metalhead, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You've gone through every piece of reporting on that shooting too?

Well dayum, I am more of a slacker than I thought.

2. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Actually, I fully accept that occurs. Your claim undermines the argument though. Amazingly there are real analyses on these things. And not anecdotal/reflexive beliefs are born out as true.

3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

What are you talking about now?

The argument (well, the one that I was having, anyway) was whether hypothetically 9 murders were worse than one. I couldn't care less about any specific case, or worse yet, any news reports about any specific case since they aren't much more than fiction.

Prima facie, 9 murders are worse than 1. It's not even a question. Anyone who wants to argue that it isn't is just being obtuse. And that ain't acute.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The argument I was responding to that was to the dead or the murderer they were different - hence the way I keep wording my responses. Because they aren't. The public at large they aren't. To the direct families of course they are, which I have already said.

Prima facie? Seriously???

5. dsapsis

I'm sensing the moray effect.

6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Difference is more people are dead. While even one is to many. That said from a punishment standpoint one should be enough to keep you for life. The only reason more than one matters is it removes any argument against premeditation thus increasing odds of life in a cage (or death). There are exceptions to that such as the DC sniper crew where they killed in multiple states and one had the death penalty while another did not. So depending on where he went first....

7. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

The media stirs up shit because it is what they do. Chaos and carnage == ratings. As to a preferred method I agree is is the soup of the day based upon effect more than cause.

8. auminer

So, to an individual, being alive or dead is irrelevant.

What a fascinating logical (?) contortion that is.

And yes, prima facie... Because your argument is bashing the pavement with its face.

If being alive or dead is irrelevant, then why is murder a crime in the first place?

9. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

What is a moray effect?

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

You deprive the government of potential revenue. :D

11. dsapsis

I've likened Mongo to a moray eel when it comes to arguments. He latches on and doesn't let go. I actually kindof like that about him, but don't tell. :D

12. fastfreddie

Bit of trivia that may not be useless...
    Eels have an inner jaw that acts to draw the prey deeper into the maw. :D

13. auminer

That sounds a lot like the beeb/dungeon... :crackup:

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

:D

15. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Funny to me but I recall a few Mongo’s “I was wrong” but mostly others will just go silent and ignore or deflect. Mongo is tenacious.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

You're not even paying attention are you?

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't bother responding to the stupid shit unless I think I'm right. Mike is the one who argues without actually paying attention :crackup:

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If I'm bored I do keep poking people when they insist on being ridiculous :D

It is currently raining and icky out, I don't feel like working on the Mule without being able to test drive it, I made like a gallon of marinara for lasagna and other stuff, got the pot roast in the crock pot, don't feel like making the meatloaf yet or doing other prep for the lasagna so here I am :crackup:

Also cleaned the fridge and portion out the butternut squash soup and some other kitcheny chores and the bad movie saturday movie is pretty boring so far :D

19. auminer

:whoosh:

You can't even deflect with any panache.... :beer:

20. fastfreddie

What the... o_O
    Since a few days ago, Adrienne made the meatloaf (we froze half of it), she made the lasagna (froze half of that) and recently pulled the sauerbraten out of the oven. :confused:
    So, I gotta ask. Did you place the order with the deli, too? :eek: