1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kids at the Track

Discussion in 'General' started by svdale, Jan 20, 2003.

1. svdale

svdale That's my Baby

This year I will be racing and I have a baby, right now she is 6 months, but during the summers months and the heat, i was just wondering if many people bring their young children to the track, and if so, how do you handle with the heat and the baby etc, thanks Dale and any other info is apperciated:D

2. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I dig kids, but i'd be nervous as shit with my kid at the track. I don't think i could concentrate. Then all the exhaust fumes and sh!t, I'd be one irrateable fuc# trying to locate a gas mask and hearing protection.......
    I can just imagine, "3rd and final call" while i'm changing a diaper or filling a bottle. And don't think for a minute that because you're racing that makes you exempt. That's just another reason to piss the wifey off in the extreme heat. I'm Mr. Family Guy, but i'll be damned if I put myself through that kind of stress.

Hell, i'm stressed just thinking about it.....

3. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

kids are tough it is the moms that get hot and crabby:) easy paige/laurie:D carol has been going to the track since she was 1 babies are tricky you really need a place with ac. A good shady spot away from the main crowd for quite times so baby can nap. just use good judgement, lots of kids go to the track.

4. svdale

svdale That's my Baby

Thanks guys, my girlfriend will bring the baby, so im sure she would get pissed off cause of the heat, my home track is going to be summit, im only 30-40 mins away, and i dont think that there is any AC there, but maybe she can come up for half the day, with the baby and some ear plugs, I have been to VIR, cant remeber if there is any place there that has AC, if anybody has any info on that kind of stuff i would appericate it, thanks Dale, trying to figure my schedule for the year, and she if im going with the family or just me and my buddy, see ya

5. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Big NO for me

Tried it once. Became painfully aware of how hot (or cold), LOUD, and poluuted the race track environment is. Maybe If I had a nice camper or RV set-up.

Prolly some tracks would be better than others. This was the infield of a NASCAR style oval/road race track (Gateway).

6. Caferace 6

Caferace 6 -------------------------

I have said this before"A RACE TRACK IS NO PLACE FOR BABIES!!!",it can lead to all kinds of problems. And could be a liability risk for the track or even you.
    KEEP THEM AT HOME!!!

7. Jason Coleman

Jason Coleman Well-Known Member

Our little one routinely goes to the track with us. We try to park towards the back of the pits and make sure we have plenty of water and shade. You will also need plenty of diapers (always bring an extra pack for the trip, do not ask how we know :eek: ). HFD said it right, Mom will have her hands full, keeping little bits shaded, hydrated and dry while she is trying to do the same for you. Just reduce the amount of time mom and little one spend spectating at the side of the track. Our little one loves the track, she is 2 1/2 and has been going for about two years.

8. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

Yeah, okay Caferacer. Whatever! If our Emma stayed at home, she'd never see her Dad.
    :)

VIR is okay. The first floor of the tower is usually empty and it was no problem for Emma and I to go in there. Usually, if you have a baby in your arms, you can get away with anything. VIR also has a nice cafe with ceiling fans on the veranda for good spectating.

If for some crazy reason you have to race Loudon, they have a family room. Every track should have this.

Summit has nice shade trees and usually a great breeze at the bottom of the paddock. Not much motor noise.

And there were a lot of practice days when we dropped Lee off at the track and went back to the pool at the hotel.:D

Emma is an adaptable kid so she did fine at the track. We just found the quieter, shady spots. She loves the race track but Lee and I do not take our eyes off of her. She has strict guidelines while she is there. And we go on long walks when NUTEC comes out.

We are sort of tired of the hotel room, airplanes and rental cars so we are looking at RVs. We borrowed one last year and let me tell you, it's the way to go to the track with your family.

9. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

Oh and when this sweet little baby wakes up and becomes a toddler....the portable DVD player will save your stress level on those long drives.:)

10. svdale

svdale That's my Baby

Thanks Laurie, thats excatly was she was looking for another mother to tell her whats going on, thanks to everybody else to, I want my daughter to be at the track and see what her daddy does and loves to do, also everybody I have meet so far have been awesome and most of them have kids, I know i would love to grow up with my dad at a racetrack, but didnt have that chance, thanks again Dale

11. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

My Dad raced with WERA when I was little. I started going to the track at around 3 years old. I have great memories of watching my Daddy race. :) My dad always had someone at the track with him to watch me and we were always pitted in the shade.

I know that if I had a child now that I would want to take him/her with me and luckily we have an A/C in our trailer to accomodate that. Sometimes I think it is too hot for kids to be there, but as long as you have A/C somewhere you should be good to go. :)

12. Caferace 6

Give ME a Break you bunch of @sswipers.
    DVDs,A/Cs,Fans and TVs. Nowonder the cost to go racing has skyrocketed.Stay at home where you don't have to take that crape with you!:mad:

13. Caferacer, isn't that the Bemsee logo you're using as an avatar?, if so how come?

By the way, nothing wrong with kids at the race track, if all the precautions stated by others are adhered to....and as for the cost, how can things like DVD's, TV's add to the cost of racing? This is a cost only incurred by those involved and only affects those involved, it is their budget that is affected and they should take that into account. It has no bearing on the cost of racing for the ones who have no children.

14. Caferace 6

It does have a bearing on you if they spend there money on that crape and not on there bikes.

15. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Kiss my booty. :mad: :D

16. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

And that would be there problem and not yours.

17. Caferace 6

And if they get in your way on the track WHO has the problem butthead?:mad:

18. yoshinewmn

yoshinewmn white & nerdy

my wife was at all my races and my son was at a few
    my daughter will attend some races this year allso .

i cant think of a better place for a family to be at .(beside church)
    and we have that too at the track .

if people give there kids something to look foward too .or something ato get involved in ,they woul be less likel'y to get into the trouble.
    that is the problem with most the young punks these days .

you let jerry springer and other people raise your kids then
    you get what you deserve.

19. kp_racer

kp_racer Well-Known Member

I think kids shuold be at the track as much as they can! If WERA wasnt a family environment, then I wouldnt be racing! I'm not a little kid, but I'm not old enough to live buy myself and provide for myself. When I have kids their going to be at the track as soon as they can walk.

My Dad just bought a motor home, which would be ideal for a littlun. As long as you can find somewhere with some shade and a breeze, I think most kids should be fine.

I think your a great Dad for bringing her to the track!

And Matt is definetly right. Racing keeps me out of a WHOLE lot of trouble.

KP

20. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

What a jagoff.

I don't think Brad has left after all. He has changed his name (and with the change his I.Q. seems to have dropped off the charts.)

Caferacer 6, my kids love being at the track, are well behaved and know what they can and can't do at the track. How in the world can you think that they are somehow a threat?

tom