1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kids at the Track

Discussion in 'General' started by svdale, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let me reiterate from the voice of experience

Yeah, well, it's not all that great here sometimes. The weather forecast is for 0.00000000001" of snowfall tonight. There are near riots at the supermarkets because approx 1 million people are each attempting to buy 3 weeks worth of milk, bread, beer and toilet paper so they can survive the blizzard.

2. MightyDuc Racing

MightyDuc Racing By Land, Air, and Sea

If I'm not mistaken, several of the tracks don't allow any children in the pit area. I think Homestead has this rule in place. Maybe more tracks should take this course of action to help avoid accidents. I am all for bringing little ones to the track, but they don't need to be in the pits by the hot and moving motorcycles and all of the chemicals. By the way, my dog will be coming with us and if she gets an ounce of relish on her, I'll feed YOU to her mother with Ketchup on ya!:)

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All tracks i know of don't allow kids in the hot pits - however that's not the same as the paddock where everyone parks.

For me it's simple - if you bring anyone or anything that is self mobil and isn't able to keep themselves out of trouble at the track then they should have a minder the entire time.

I also agree with FastFreddie to an extent - you shouldn't ever expect another racer to watch your children for you (even though most people at the track will of course). If you can't keep track of them then don't bring them. If you can then enjoy! I love having kids and dogs at the track so long as their parents do their job.

4. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I knew it!:p

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And it's a Buckwild slay!!!!!

That is hilarious!

6. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Let me reiterate from the voice of experience

LOL! :D What's sad is that they are the same way here in Cincinnati! They'll cancel schools based solely on the weather report (which my wife likes since she is a teacher) and they will also make a run on the supermarkets... :rolleyes: My favorite is when the weather guy says "Don't go out if you don't have to!" WTF? I guess growing up near the lake-effect snow-belt in PA made me used to a couple inches of snow... :rolleyes: It's actually a little more understandable in the south since you guys don't have the equipment and road-salt stash to deal with it, but O-DOT actually does a pretty damn good job... Kentucky on the other hand... :(

7. WERA82

WERA82 Infidel, phone ringing...

The way to go...

I have had my son Colin at every race weekend I have run since he was 6 weeks old. I also have the ultimate secret (well not really) weapon. I have an RV. It is the only way I can go to all the national WERA races. It solves most of the problems you have with enfants at the track. It gives you a place where they are insulated from the typical track conditions. He is in AC, can watch videos, play, sleep, and eat like he is at home. (He is) It is fairly soundproof and we can control when he is outside. It would be really tough with him at the track without the RV, especially in the heat of summer. It is also nice because you don't have to shuttle all the added child support gear/toys (and your stuff) back and forth to a hotel. We just make it a big camping trip!

My wife used to be my pit crewwoman, but now Colin takes up all of her time at the track while I am racing. If I need help with the bike it has to come from friends and fellow racers. At night I take over to help give her a break. Even with an RV you still need a dedicated child care person. There is no way you can do it all yourself. She still comes out when he is napping and swaps a wheel or two on occasion!:)

I really feel you can bring your children to the track safely. The knee jerk reactionist that say kids + track = no need to shut up and race! I bet half of them wouldn't even know my son was there! Bite me.

I love having my son there (he is a year old next week) and he appears to enjoy it as well. He likes to watch the bikes go around and visit with the racers at lunch. Maybe one day I'll be in the pits for him should he be interested in racing...

8. Caferace 6

Caferace 6 -------------------------

GIVE THE MAN A CIGAR!!! Finally someone who knows what I was meanning.
    Boy I sure missed alot of crap on this by having to work the last 48 hours. Sometimes it takes something bad to happen to get through to a hard head.I just hope that when it happens it's not serious!
    This is all that I'm going to say on this subject,so don't try to drag me back into it!