1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kickstarting the winter debate series: Mladin's Legacy

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Nov 18, 2008.

1. bcc

bcc painter /fabricator

:D
    ba ZING !

2. Stillie

Stillie Off that like Jay-Z

Picard never went skankin' for green bitches...Kirk FTW as well. :D

3. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Post of the Week!! :crackup:

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

916/955

Miguel was also very competitive for a while on the CBR1K. 2003? Or maybe 2004, I don't remember.

Not to take anything away from Lawson (one of my favorite GP riders ever), but he said himself that the Daytona bike was so much faster than the rest, he was a little embarrassed.

I remember one come-from-behind win at Fontana that I thought was even more impressive than last year's Laguna spanking.

Why do you guys keep doing this? You suck at analogies. :D

Anybody who mattered at the time was American. Liston, Frazier, Foreman...

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Hush with your history. Matt stayed middleweight by purging the day before weigh-in. He should have been fighting in heavyweight.

6. dom

dom Dom-N-Ator Racing

i think the BBS could have come up with a better topic... :Poke:

7. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

I believe there was more than one impressive come from behind finishes within the last two years.

8. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Road Atlanta race two!

9. Cawk Star

Damn straight JU!

10. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

IMO it's not such a bad analogy - he fought a number of contenders from outside of the US in title fights - Chuvalo, Mildenberger, Cooper (who very nearly KO'ed him and would have taken his title if he wasn't saved by the bell). Those fights may not be remembered as well as the others, but he took on just about anyone who had a legitimate shot at the time.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Interesting, those don't get talked about much. Anytime you see something on his career on TV, it centers around four or five guys who defined his career. All Americans.

I didn't think he only fought the Americans, but I didn't know any foreigners really mattered during his career.

12. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

That's why I couldn't think of any foreignors. :D

13. Knarf Legna

Chuvalo was an animal, but he was pretty much washed up by the time he fought Ali. Cooper was the real deal, even if he was skeered of Liston. ;)

If you remember, Ali's mouth got him banned from fighting in some US venues, which was the impetus for fighting around the world. But he never shied away from title challenges from anyone, which makes the analogy somewhat accurate IMO.

14. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I never was much into boxing and still think it's a stupid sport but damn watching some of the old Ali footage is cool. The guy was freaking great. :up:

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I recently watched the ESPN Classic series on Mike Tyson. I had forgotten what an animal he was in the early years, especially before he won the title.

16. Knarf Legna

Before you go toes up you should try to see a heavyweight match in person. Nothing can compare to the visceral sound of a body shot, that experience gave me a totally fresh perspective on how tough a sport boxing can be.

17. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Yep, I caught part of that too.

Would love to his dumb ass in a cage fight... the only sport more dumb than boxing. :D

Mainstream sports that is... there's always those from OSQ(Obscure Sports Quarterly on the Ocho). :p

18. Cawk Star

you subscribe too?

19. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

:D

20. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Fontana!