1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kickstarting the winter debate series: Mladin's Legacy

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Nov 18, 2008.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Miguel had access to the same equipment as Nicky. So that takes care of that.

As for the others, we can imagine all sorts of scenarios. But we will never know. All we can do is discuss the guys who have beaten Mladin, and those who have failed to do so while on the "same" equipment.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Spies was on equal machinery. Hayden, harder to compare.

3. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

So one of my friends dad owns 6 McDonalds. He started working at McDonalds as a fry cook when he was in 16. He moved his way up to through the ranks to get where he is.

If the guy that trained him to be the fry cook was still at the same Mcdonalds, working the same deep fryers, would you call him the greatest McDonalds employee ever until the store owner came back and got more "Fry Cook of the Month" awards? :confused:

4. digger89

digger89 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. That's a fitting analogy.

NOT.

5. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

not if hes against spongebob squarepants

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Your analogy doesn't fit the original question.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:crackup: :crackup::crackup:

8. bcc

bcc painter /fabricator

+1 not much more needs to be said .
    An asterisk is def a reach for someone who blatantly kicked everybody's ass ,just because a couple young prodigy's beat him during his 3 million laps doesn't mean the rest of the field could or can .Can't deny him the AMA most dominant superbike rider so far ,but.....thats as far as it reaches IMO.

Not every champ is the peoples champ,and he might retire as the guy who a lot of people respected his talents on the AMA track, but maybe not as much respect for his public persona or aspirations .

No asterisk ,its not his fault he was on the best bike on the best team with another dominant rider to push him in the same colors.I'm no fan ,but aside from the pretend crank thing ,you can't dominate like that from luck .

9. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Sorry but you brought this on yourself with that analogy.

http://www.jeremypost.com/ding-fries-are-done/

:D

10. bcc

bcc painter /fabricator

Nicky left on a high ,ben left on a high ,Mladin will leave on a high.Miguel will leave on a honda winged electric rascal ......likely having to rest on his laurels ,but I'm sure smiling and content .:D

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Dude, before you guys take this too seriously, the asterisk was just a metaphor to get the discussion started. I wasn't serious about that.

12. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

ASTERISK bitch

13. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

:crackup:

That ain't even right but shit it's so funny and accurate. :p

14. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

15. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Re-do that stats so that Mladin only has one Superbike race win per weekend, then compare him to others in a different era. We would also have to look into the number of rounds per year as well.

Oh, and take away the recent wins where he was probably using that cheater crank. :)

He's a great rider, no doubt. But I'd say Ben Spies is still the greatest AMA Superbike rider of the current era; with Doug Chandler being the best of the late 90's. All time greatest? It would take some time for me to think about it.

* - I'm being specific to AMA racing here; I am not saying riders like Nicky Hayden are not as good as these two.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  16. bcc

bcc painter /fabricator

i wasn't taking it that serious ,just an answer in the form of the question.

but here is a bunch incase you change your mind ,save one for Nicky .oooooooooohhhhh snappp !!!!!!:beer:

********************************************************************************************************************

17. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Mladin will go down as the rider with the best record in AMA history.

18. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Like mentioned above, he'll go down as the record holder for the Superbike class. However, I feel like if he truly is to be considered one of the best in the world above the AMA level, he should have left and gone to at least WSB. No matter what he says now, when he's sitting on all the cash he made when he's retired, I think he's going to kick himself for not having a World Championship.

19. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

I don't think he'll really give a shit. And that by itself may be the difference between him and all the others..

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

oh, I think you're probably right. But what are we going to do in the winter if we don't pretend it's important? :D