1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kickstarting the winter debate series: Mladin's Legacy

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Nov 18, 2008.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's a little boring in here, so let's dance. :)

Is Mladin the greatest AMA champion?

Statistics would support that claim without a doubt. But Nicky Hayden came in, tried a couple of times, beat him and moved on to a bigger stage. Ben Spies came in, tried once, then beat him. And again. And again. And is now moving on to a bigger stage.

So, should there be an asterisk next to Mladin's entry in the AMA history books? Discuss.

Can't wait to see "Vince" jump in here while trying not to sound too much like himself. :D

2. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

dude's columns on superbikeplanet rock. he gets my vote just for those :D

3. speeddemon828

speeddemon828 casual user

he is a big fish in a small pond.

but his record stands for itself.

4. I say no asterisk. He is the best AMA superbike racer of all times. Just not the best roadracer of all times. Right now I rank him ahead of Spies in overall roadracing supremacy, but if Spies wins one world championship, he moves ahead in my book.

I look at the AMA like college football. Some of greatest college players never ammounted to much in the pros, yet they are still considered great college players. Their lack of success in the NFL does not tarnish what they did in college.

5. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

excellent analogy

6. Chip

Chip Registered

Yes. He is the best guy to ever ride a Superbike in the US.

7. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I think he'll go down in history as one of the fastest whiners in the history of AMA Superbike racing.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I wonder if he gives a shit what his legacy will be once he's done but he'll go down as the best in American roadracing ever. His race wins and championships demand that.

9. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Yes he is.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

How many years can you play college football? At some point, you graduate or you go to the NFL.

Also, if a few younger guys come in as freshmen, beat you and move on, there might be some questions as to whether you really were the best.

In short, I am not convinced by the analogy. I am not saying that Nicky and Ben might be better because they moved on to the world championship. I am saying that they might be better because they beat right there in "college," while he was at the top of his game.

11. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

He is the best US superbike rider ever, but only because of timing. If everyone who won a superbike title stayed here as long as he has, this whole debate would not be happening. Think of how many titles/race wins a Rainey, Scwhantz, Hayden etc. would have had they stayed here for 28 years racing.

12. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

:stupid:

13. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Good point too.

14. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

So while Mat and Ben were in "college" together, Ben beat Mat 3 out of 4 years. Now Ben graduated. So how is Mat the best again? :confused:

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Bitch, consider yourself owned by association. :D

16. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Unless Ben comes back and wins 4 more AMA championships (and Mat doesn't win any more) then Mat's the greatest AMA champion ever.

In my opinion, Mat and Ben have demonstrated over the last three years that they are evenly matched. Some days Mat's on his game, some days Ben's on his, some days they're dead even. They've been like titans playing on a field of liliputians. I wish Spies the best but he leaves a great void in AMA behind.

17. ronaldo9

ronaldo9 Well-Known Member

Because with the analogy you can argue Heismann Trophy winners that are not successful in the NFL. Tim Couch comes to mind. Charlie Ward? Mat is amazing hands down, he has his place in history no doubt. Is he the best; debatable.

18. paistes5

paistes5 Well-Known Member

I think if you argue the best in AMA superbike according to the stats, you'd be right. Is he the best rider? Not so sure about that. It's easy to jump on the Nicky or Ben bandwagon, but what about guys that can ride the wheels off inferior equipment? Do they get a nod in this thing as well? What about Miguel? Where does he fit in the discussion?

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

One of the best for sure. The best? Hard to say. On sheer number of wins then he gets the nod. I think you need to temper that with some ratio of wins to starts.

20. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

:D

I'm here to point out when people make good points in this discussion since I don't have a real opinion this time. :p