1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keto Diet

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Nov 1, 2017.

1. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

2. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Gino230 likes this.
  3. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I've been on lazy keto for about a month now, starting on Jan 5th. I don't count carbs but I try to be intelligent about it. If there's carbs in vegetables, I basically ignore them. I'm trying for quick weight loss, so my portions are definitely reduced, but I've rarely felt still hungry after a meal. I went from drinking a lot to total abstinence this month. I'm also working out M-F with the following workout:

https://www.ketogains.com/2015/09/ketogains-novice-strength-training-program-5x5/

I also add in 20-30 minutes of cardio on top of the 3 weightlifting days. On January 2nd I was 200.2 lbs and today I hit 177.2.

The good:
    - Constant energy, specifically no post lunch crashing. I'm not 100% sure if this would be the case if I was eating carbs, and eating smaller portions like I am now.
    - Gym energy. In the past, I have had a pretty consistent ability to over-workout at the gym and hit something like hypo(er?)glycemia. For normal cases, I just get lightheaded. On a really bad day I couldn't make it back to the locker room. Simple sugar like a gatorade or gel pack will recover me instantly. Since this new diet, I haven't once had that feeling. I've been killing myself at the gym, but the negative side affects have been just general tiredness and soreness.
    - It seems like I'm losing weight in a more healthy manner. A few years ago I lost 27lbs in two months, starting from around 190lbs. I was basically eating the least number of calories that I could. If I was working out, it was all low intensity cardio, but I barely ate enough to work out that hard. At the end of that I actually hated the way I looked, as my face skin was saggy and I felt emaciated. It didn't make me want to keep the weight off, as I didn't care for how I felt. Now, I feel like I'm looking much more trim and healthy.
    - Early evening brain fade seems to have gone away. It seems like in the past I wasn't capable of much good thought from 6-8PM, which isn't an issue any longer.

The bad:
    - Without meal prepping, food options suck. I guess it keeps me from eating fast food which is good. I'm not terribly interested in going to mcdonald's or whatever and getting a burger wrapped in lettuce. I guess I should get over that. Jimmy John's is good. At work, when I forget my lunch I eat a salad, but it isn't very good.
    - I think weightlifting is killing my joints. At the beginning of the month I was running a little bit, trying to set a fast mile pace by doing interval training. I went too hard one day and tore my calf a bit, so I rested it for a week or two. In that time, I continued to lift and do stationary biking. Now if I try to run, it feels like I'm being stabbed in my ankles, and I have a ton of pain in my feet and knees. It's weird as I've run off an on my whole life and never felt pain like this.

This weekend is the Super Bowl, so I'm going to take my first cheat day/weekend. Then, I plan to continue keto through the end of this month. As for working out, I'm not sure what I want to do. I really want to race at a higher level this year and take it seriously for once. I like what weightlifting has done for me for building some muscle, so I'll likely continue that. I think I need more hardcore cardio and tabata style workouts so I can get used to having a higher heartrate for longer.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Awesome!!! Tread lightly on that cheat day. Only a month in, if you go crazy with the beer and carbs you will feel freaking TERRIBLE on Monday. If you’re doing 5x5 right you’re lifting really heavy, which is quite hard on the joints. Drop weight and increase the time under load, 10-20 down, 5-10 up. You’ll still get the fiber activation but it’ll be easier on the connective tissue.

cBJr likes this.
  5. CausticYarn

Awesome job! There are a lot of people that are into keto like a religion. Ketogains is quite the cult some times. :)

A few Questions:
    Are you taking any joint supplements? I started mixing beef gelatin and Creatine in my pre-workout and that helped with the joints quite a bit.
    What are you doing for Electrolytes? ketogains has excellent discussions on electrolyte intake.

Second set of questions:
    How old are you? Have you always lifted as heavy as you are now? Some of it might just be age and an increase in intensity. Form over weight and reps. I run like I am 85 and crippled instead of 35 after a day I packed too much weight on.

6. wreckless4thf

wreckless4thf Pacman 712

I haven't counted the first calorie. I started August of 2018 at 333 # I'm now 262. When I hit 225 I'm buying a set of leathers and going racing with Paxton

noles19, BigBird, 418 and 3 others like this.
  7. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Some of the reported results on here are very encouraging. I plan on giving it a shot for a month and see what happens.

EDIT:
    How long did your keto-flus last for?
    How long did your sleep suffer?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  8. wreckless4thf

wreckless4thf Pacman 712

Couple days but wasn't too bad.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Been on it (mostly, with a few slips) since Dec 28. Down 17 lbs without workout due to work deadlines and the usual New Years resolution crowds. I will ramp up the activity beginning Monday.

10. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I've took nuun tablets in my water for 2 weeks, but then I ran out. I didn't get any more. I didn't really notice the difference with/without them. Otherwise, no I'm not really doing anything for electrolytes. The joint supplements seem like an interesting idea. Honestly, I was hoping that I'd just toughen up eventually, and my muscles would build enough to relieve the pain.

I'm 37 and haven't lifted weights in 20 years. I'm a bit of a natural athlete, but am getting in decreasingly worse shape as I get older. A few years ago, I could not run for a year, then go out and run 5 miles, albeit slowly.

11. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

That's really awesome. Congrats!

wreckless4thf likes this.
  12. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I didn't really get a keto flu. Maybe some hunger headaches at first.

My sleep was bad the first week or so, but I really think that was from the weightlifting. I was sore as hell as I hadn't used my muscles in forever.

13. CausticYarn

I'd just make sure you're lifting right and not pushing it - that could have a huge impact on what you are doing to your joints. You keep exacerbating injuries when you work over them. You still benefit from lifting even without tons of weight stacked on.

I know when my magnesium get's low I have trouble sleeping, so I keep up on the electrolytes. Low carb diets tend to kick them out of the system quicker.

I am super-lazy-keto. Right now it's just maintenance for me because I am sitting around 20% body fat and start to look ill if I dip below that, I already fight not looking like a 12 year old boy.
    Keto totally broke my hunger meter though - My stomach stopped telling my brain I was hungry, so if I am busy I usually don't even think about food unless forget how to be a human - ie: form sentences, pick up a pencil, walk through a doorway without forgetting what I was doing, not act like a venomous spider...

BigBird and cBJr like this.
  14. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Can I ask: are you following more of a Keto diet or Atkins? It sounds like you have basically reduced or eliminated carbs from breads on this diet.

What do your meals consist of and how many times a day are you eating?

Just curious as I want to drop some weight myself.

15. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

From the link posted in the OP:

"
    Do lots of low level aerobic activity. Walk, hike, jog, cycle, row. Keep things in the aerobic HR zone (under 180 minus age in heart beats per minute), and you’ll increase your utilization of body fat, which will speed up ketone production and adaptation."

Wasn't this myth dispelled a long time back? The higher your pulse the better for fat burning, there is no such thing as a fat burning zone that encourages running a lower pulse exercises. HIIT is also great for fat burning, but advising people to stay at a comfortable pace, pulse wise isn't exactly right even if you're only goal is fat burning.

16. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I can vouch for bone broth and it’s amazimg impact on joint health (not to mention hair and skin).

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don’t recall, but it seems like Mark was also talking about how it initially reduces your athletic ability so for the first few weeks you shouldn’t be trying to kill yourself in the gym.

18. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I guess I don't know the exact diet I'm on. Really I just see it as low carb as possible. I eat three times a day, breakfast at 7, lunch at noon, workout at 5 and dinner at 7.

For breakfast, I've mostly had eggs, ham and cheese and sometimes half an avacado, sometimes some spinach. One week I googled "keto yogurt" and found a suggestion for yogurt, berries and walnuts so I ate that for a few days. Then I thought about it, and looked up how many carbs were in the berries I was eating, and realized that was stupid.

Most lunches/dinners are a protein and vegetable or a salad. For proteins, I use the basic portion size of the palm of my hand, which I'd guess is around 4 oz.

I made the following salad and it was ridiculously good. The meat marinade has a good amount of sugar in it, but I figured I didn't actually eat that much of it per serving. I guess bell peppers and onions have a decent amount of carbs as well. I microwaved the meat and peppers before putting on the salad. The homemade dressing was fantastic too.

https://lifemadeketo.com/steak-fajita-salad/
    https://ohsweetbasil.com/favorite-steak-fajitas-marinade-recipe/

Bloodhound likes this.
  19. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Thank you. Yours sounds similar to my diet then really, mainly eliminating carbs and portion control.

BigBird and cBJr like this.
  20. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Great job making the change! Just a guess, but I think if you are not taking in enough fats combined with shocking the body with all these exercises it might be contributing to your aches and pains. I'm 44 and if I miss my fish oil supplement for a few days I start getting all kinds of little annoying pain.

For my part, I was doing pretty good until I started adding in my longer runs (Half Marathon in 2 weeks). I just could not function after a long run so I started eating rice on those days. Then the wife had surgery in VA, we left for vacation directly after, and I came home and went straight back to flying so I have been off Keto for almost a month.

I don't think I will go back to it completely, although one great benefit of the diet was it showed me how I could be perfectly happy without sugar or bread and pasta (at least until binge day.) So even though I'm off keto, I'm still eating far less of those foods than I was in the past.

cBJr likes this.