1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keto Diet

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Nov 1, 2017.

1. ton

ton Arf!

nope.

i learned something new today, as i'd always thought that myself. two completely unrelated plants. anise is related to fennel.

the major flavor component of licorice is Glycyrrhizin. (which is itself an estrogen-derived carbohydrate).
    the major flavor of anise is actually anethole, which is structurally sorta similar to the flavor components in cinnamon.

anise comprises about 80% anethole in it's "essential oil"
    licorice actually does have up to ~3% anethole as a component, as well.

(i know, nobody else cares. i thought it was fascinating)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  2. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Got that one, but I'm still trying to figure what the 3 tablespoons of something and 1.25 cups of something else are ... and does the 1.25 cups of something go with the flour & butter to make the crust?

3. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

Stand by

4. ruckusracing

The front of the note care w/ "Keto cheesecake" 9" at the top. The left column is the crust ingredients, the right for the cake
    The word after 3 tablespoon and 1.25 is erythritol. Sugar substitute.

BigBird likes this.
  5. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

:clap: Aahhh ... not familiar with erythritol. Off to do some google-fu.....

6. ruckusracing

It's a sugar substitute, to be honest I am not a fan of any substitutes. But the wife bought it for the cake and I don't use it for anything else. So a cheesecake once in a blue moon is okay in my book.

BigBird likes this.
  7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

At one time my brother ran the night shift of a chemical plant in Georgia that extracted substances from the stumps of southern pine trees, and one of the things they produced was licorice flavoring.

ruckusracing likes this.
  8. ruckusracing

We have a plant in Jax that makes numerous flavors out of pine oil...mostly mint flavors. Basically all of your chewing gum and toothpaste flavors.

9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Historically, licorice candy was flavored with Glycyrrhiza; sometime in the post-war period they went to using anise- and or fennel-derived anethol, and the rest is just another historic lesson in consumer ignorance. Glycyrrhizin really tastes/smells nothing like anise or what is commonly referred to as licorice flavor in candies, liqueurs, etc.

You can distill/synthesize tons of chemicals from pine resin. It is some very reduced stuff.

ton and ruckusracing like this.
  10. CausticYarn

CausticYarn I’m just here for the food.

They have gluten free cheesecake at the dinner theater and that’s all I can think about.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Thought this would be pertinent.

What Keto Is.jpg

BigBird likes this.
  12. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

That's actually a really good meme!

13. CausticYarn

Speaking of veggies:
    I found a new veggie I really like. Kohlrabi. It's good raw with just a little bit of salt on it - or covered in artichoke dip. I could eat four of those things in one sitting.

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

i was eating kelp noodles, and ummm it isn't great. someone put me onto Miracle Noodle Shirataki, so hopefully it tastes better

15. CausticYarn

Gross. I just don't substitute if I can help it. I understand that sometimes you just want a bowl of pasta or a cookie. But all the subs do is make you want the real thing.

BigBird likes this.
  16. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Careful. Someone might a beet down on you.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

So Tuesday’s are a cool day on this Facebook group I’m in. It’s #transformationtuesday where people post pics of their progress following the program. Some are meh, most are motivating, then there are some that are freaking amazing!

23D6A2A3-02DA-4C3E-9EF3-A95D1EFF1A1D.jpeg 155513B8-4720-492B-89F8-0C04EC3BE532.jpeg

Attached Files:

18. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

You have my attention.........

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

20. [​IMG]

shakazulu12 likes this.