1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kentucky peeps - Everyone OK?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Dec 11, 2021.

1. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

3.5 hours to half a dozen tracks and the mountains here :D

2. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Definitely pie.

3. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Mountains? NV is not flat desert, it is all mountains and valleys, that is beauty of it. My house is at 5300'

jrsamples likes this.
  4. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I'll be at exactly 6700 if I live that long. Can't wait.

5. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

6. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Interesting construction debris on those two new red Corvettes. I'll leave it to someone else to describe.

7. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I see part of a garage door, insulation and building/roofing skin. What's interesting about that? Kind of what I would expect from a small metal building. [​IMG]

8. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

[/QUOTE]I see part of a garage door, insulation and building/roofing skin. What's interesting about that? Kind of what I would expect from a small metal building. [​IMG][/QUOTE]
    Flimsy or shoddy construction methods, imho.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

They think these tornados were F3 or F4. F3 has wind speeds from 158 to 206mph. An F4 is 207 to 260 mph. That wind along with the pressure drop of a few inches of mercury will rip ANY post frame even steel constructed building to shreds.

My pole barn roof is ~1400 sq ft. Thats ~201,600 sq inches. If a tornado reduced the pressure next to my roof by 1 PSI that would be 201,600 lbs trying to lift the roof of. It would stay on.

F3 can demolish wood frame and even steel or brick. An F4 will demolish wood, steel, brick etc.

Just because that roof in the picture got peeled off doesnt mean it was flimsy or shoddy. Most buildings would look like that if an F3 or F4 come right by.

27 and R Acree like this.
  10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You cannot tornado proof a metal building, period. The structure is too light.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You basically can't tornado proof anything above ground. You can try but you'll usually fail.

Those iBeams bent because the sign attached was built too well. Still pretty amazing but people tend to always underestimate the amount of force wind can put on things. For proof look at any paddock and how the canopies are tied down...

27 likes this.
  12. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Saw on the news that some of the workers at the candle factory in Kentucky hear that the Tornado was on the ground headed their way . Told management they wanted to leave .. management said No , any one who leaves will get fired . 15 people said , FU I’m leaving , and left . The owners of building said that’s not true ! way too many witnesses to the contrary .. everyone is now backpedaling… sounds Crazy .. lawsuits are coming … :eek:

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

True, but a lot of people think metal building=heavy because...well, metal. Metal buildings are close to, if not the lightest structures around. Footings have to be designed to resist uplift rather than gravity. The reason the frames are tapered is to reduce material qty. The design is calculated to resist the loads with some safety factor.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

15. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

You sound like an Architect or something… :D

16. TWF2

I bet you my house in Croatia would not fail except maybe roof tiles. It is built out of concrete blocks.
    They should build same way here in those tornado areas.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've seen block houses and even solid cement with rebar get knocked down. Mother nature don't play.

27 likes this.
  18. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Only of they used rebar and filled the blocks with concrete creating a very strong, tied together and heavy structure. Would stand a much better chance but certainly not tornado proof. Ask someone who's been through a tornado and a hurricane. They would almost always rather go through another hurricane vs another tornado. A tornado is extremely violent.

19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

27 likes this.
  20. TWF2

They are, concrete corners with rebar, concrete or brick blocks with cement and rebar. Floors are slabs and roof is sitting on slab as well. Even if roof flies off you got flat concrete slab.

dobr24 likes this.