1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kentucky peeps - Everyone OK?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Looks like some heavy stuff went down last night. Did everyone make it through?

If you need anything. Post it up.

Stay safe folks.

Montoya and R Acree like this.
  2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Just thinking the same thing Hype...hope all is well with them.

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I saw there was 24 tornadoes total. :eek:

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

The Mayfield, Kentucky drone footage... unbelievable that anyone could survive that.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  5. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

The fact that it was on the ground for 215miles is unfathomable.

6. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Four hundred miles west of here, luckily we just got rain.

7. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Man the wind in Indy is insane today and the drive to Cinci and back last night was nuts. One moment is heavy fog, next moment it’s a torrential downpour.

hope the peeps south of here are all good.

cpettit likes this.
  8. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Yeah, that was brutal. Sure feel for the folks who suffered from all this carnage. We had strong storms and my phone woke me up around 3:15 with tornado warnings but it was just a thunderstorm here. Others weren't so lucky.

9. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Hope the best for all in the storm. That being said.

So who all has been in a direct path of a tornado?

I always thought it’d be cool to be in one... until I was... it was something I’ll never forget but “cool” isn’t the right adjective

10. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

In 1988 an F4 tornado ripped through Raleigh around midnight. This weird, really low-pitched rumble woke me up, and it was getting louder and louder each second. When it came to me what it was, I ran down the hallway of my apartment to a closet in the very middle, away from doors, windows, etc. The sound got so damn loud I finally realized what the phrase, “so loud I couldn’t even think “ meant. Weird thing was, at that very moment, I thought I was dead, and I stood there in that closet and the most amazing feeling of peace came over me. Can’t explain it at all, but I just relaxed and waited to go. I could hear things breaking and stuff hitting the walls. But the noise stayed at its peak about 10 seconds and then slowly died away. I stood there for a bit and then opened the closet door and looked up and where my ceiling used to be there was dark sky. Took the second floor of the two-story apartment right off. Luckily because it was the weekend after thanksgiving, many people were out of town, including my upstairs neighbor. I lost a car, boat and motorcycle that were parked outside, but I lived through it. I never, ever want to hear that sound again. Had nightmares about it for several months afterward.

11. 27

27 Well-Known Member

You remember the calm too! Was it silent? Did it seem like the vacuum sucked all of the sound waves away?

12. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I was outside for most of it so I got to really see and feel all of what was going on and it was the most incredible display of the forces of nature and physics ever all in a few moments.

gixxernaut and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  13. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

One ripped through a town about 30 miles away from here 10 or so years ago. I drove through there a week later. No photos, no video can really show what destruction it leaves in it's path, you really have to see it to understand it and it's something I never want to see again.

Once a Wanker.. and YamahaRick like this.
  14. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

When I visit our plant in Kansas, there's a tornado shelter (Men's room). Is that a mandated feature in plants in Kentucky?...

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Twice. And lost count of how many hurricanes.

I'll sit through the hurricane.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The company I worked before had a Soviet built nuke shelter in it. Cool to check out but you couldn’t help but think it couldn’t protect you from so much as a dog fart.

17. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

+ 1

18. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I woke up multiple times and watched the radar. Everytime a cell came towards Louisville it split, so we got lucky.

And your question brought up something that I don't understand. They've been going on about these storms for the last 3-4 days. Everyone knew they would hit. Why didn't this company call off the 3rd shift last night? Yeah, we're all geniuses after the fact, but this should have been common sense.

19. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Seeing pics of Bowling Green
    So nearly all manufacturing facilities have shelters. Typically they are restrooms because it’s just easiest.

As far as calling employees off. Typically that happens for predictable snow storms. I haven’t ever seen any employer call off for a potential tornado.

20. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Amazon isn't going to shut down for anything