1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kentucky peeps - Everyone OK?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Dec 11, 2021.

1. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Does anyone have,or remember that picture of the tornado on the back side turn 9 at Roebling?
    I remember a picture at registration back in the day.Soo glad I was not there for that one!

2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

We don't have this spinning tornado's but in winter we can get freezing winds blasting 150-180 mph. This are the ones taking roof off, but that is it for damage. Most houses have shutters to cover windows when shit comes.
    Really old houses, 100's years old, are all stone. Not veneer like here but whole wall is stone.

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

yeah, that's definitely a bad decision on everyone's parts, management got people killed and employees should have walked out as soon as they were concerned, and to hell with the job.

4. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Plenty of small towns in Florida where the only houses you can find over 20 years old are the little concrete block houses with the flat concrete roof that are 50+ years old.

5. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I am hearing that it didn't quite go down like that but I wasn't there and don't want to get dungeony so nuff said.

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I lived in one of those in Lakeland. Roof wasn't flat, but it was a low pitched hipped roof so winds couldn't catch the gables. When we lived there in the mid 60s it was concrete tile. I think it was redone with shingles. IIRC, the other homes we lived in had flat or very low pitch roofs as well.

7. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Also saw on News , that a major Contract that Factory had was with Bed Bath & Beyond… and they can’t try and disassociate they themselves fast enough from the Factory…

8. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I see part of a garage door, insulation and building/roofing skin. What's interesting about that? Kind of what I would expect from a small metal building. [​IMG][/QUOTE]
    Flimsy or shoddy construction methods, imho.[/QUOTE]

These buildings act as garages and storage for auto cross racers and obviously some extra storage space for GM and nothing more.

They are bare minimum no doubt, but i'm sure they meet the local building codes.

9. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I grew up in Brandenburg. Not much survived that was touched by that tornado. On that note, the jail was only partially destroyed. We used to play in it as kids, but now it's a damn good pizza place.

10. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Actually, if you look at that picture again, they were bent sideways, the sign was gone in a flash, but the beams bent sideways, the direction the tornado was heading. I’ve been trying to find other photos I made back then but I’m not having a lot of success.

27 likes this.
  11. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

"These buildings act as garages and storage for auto cross racers and obviously some extra storage space for GM and nothing more.

They are bare minimum no doubt, but i'm sure they meet the local building codes."

Never seen a building code that allowed 2"x 4"s to be mounted flat, with at least 24" spacing, before.

12. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Those 2 x 4's are only there to hold the insulation in place, they're not there for any structural purposes.

gapman789 likes this.
  13. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

+1 what Robin172 said.

.....and keep in mind, building codes are obviously much different for a home where people live, vs a non-living space.

14. 27

27 Well-Known Member

It’s cool you have those pics! I’m educated as an ME I do physics calculations for fun, I know there are a bunch of us on here... anyone that wants to have fun, go ahead I’ll wait... calculate the force it takes to bend those beams sideways while at the same time having the opposite force at what acts as a fulcrum point where they bend, otherwise they’d have bent at the ground. I’ve tried and tried but unless you’ve seen it for yourself you just really can’t wrap your head around what happens... at least I can’t.

those trees that I said grow at 45* still 40 years later, are bent, it didn’t break them, it didn’t alter their direction by their root system, it bent live trees changing their trajectory forever.

as I said I’ve been close to a few, and thought I understood. I had no idea, it is truly mind bending matrix level shit that goes on in them as they seemingly if not actually alter our known laws of physics.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    tony 340 likes this.
  15. 27

27 Well-Known Member

That outbreak was one of my first experiences, it was the one that went down our road, following it, luckily we lived down a 1/4 mile lane at lower elevation. Rode on the back of a Harley over and around obstacles to get to other family.

16. 27

27 Well-Known Member

This is a fun calculation on pressure as it’s the last of the known effects that could possibly explain what happens. To think that there are extreme differences of barometric pressure existing within close enough proximity to each other to alter the shapes of materials. Otherwise we are to the worm hole molecular level shit melting and reforming;)

17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Iowa getting hammered tonight.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  18. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

upload_2021-12-15_17-37-47.png

I'm fixin' to get a 2-fer!

19. 27

27 Well-Known Member

20. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member