1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kapernick and Nike Deal......

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ClemsonsR6, Sep 4, 2018.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How many millions of dollars in revenue are they losing because of the black eye this whole thing has put on the sport? Wasn't 2018 one of their lowest ratings seasons ever? Figure in the cost of that on top of litigation and $80m is chump change to make it go away and move on. Hopefully the payout includes a clause that Kaepernick retires STFU forever.

cav115 likes this.
  2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

He has been mostly irrelevant this past season. And besides, the people (talking about the fans, not celebrities) who have been most vocal about boycotting the NFL are not those who have been on his side. Paying him off is definitely not going to bring them back. There is something the NFL doesn't want to get out. There always was.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  3. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Players who bring conflict into the locker room are traded, or contracts not renewed all the time even though they have the skill. Not sure why this would be any different.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

But people are fickle. As soon as it's not brought up every few days in the media, people will forget about it and start watching again.

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

The NFL has taken a massive hit with this. Even if they have the financial resources to continue to fight this, sometimes it’s better to settle and just get it done with and out of the way and move forward. If they have enough resources to fight it, they also have enough to settle, obviously. It’s been a publicity nightmare for them.So take your lumps, put it behind you and move forward towards gaining the fans back. Less expensive in the long run.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I disagree. They always seem to land on another team at some point and the sports media make a big deal out of it for a week, wondering how come they keep getting chances.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I find it funny anyone thinks there wasn't some basic informal collusion to get rid of Kaepernick from the league altogether. Granted I don't get why that would be illegal. Not like the NFL owners can force each other to do anything, they're all individual rich assholes.

My pure guess is the money is minor to them and worth paying to keep it from being news weekly until it goes to court. I'd also guess they don't want their meeting minutes and all sorts of other documents and testimony to become public which they would be had the suit continued. Sometimes privacy with worth paying for, especially if you're an organization that does in part rely on the public liking you.

G 97 likes this.
  8. G 97

G 97 Garth

Does the NFL still have their not for profit tax status? Too lazy to look. I’m sure it’s better for them to settle upfront and keep everything undercover. I still believe that if CK had a higher level of talent he would still be in the league. Talent outweighs baggage. Alleged collusion or not.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Brady is a good example, publicly supported Trump and hasn't been fired yet :D

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't think it was ever going to court. They were going through arbitration.
    My understanding is that they had filed a motion for an early dismissal, which was rejected. And they settled before it went to the next step. I could be wrong, but I think that's what I heard on some show last week.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ours hasn't gone to court either but we've produced a ton of paperwork. I'm waiting on the response to our requests of all sorts of docs showing proof monetary losses that I don't think someone wants public. Should be very interesting as I'll never back down on getting all of our expenses to date covered. :D

Not sure if arbitration works the same but I think some of it is public, similar rules to a court but quicker and less bs. Maybe one of the yeller ferrari owners can chime in.

sheepofblue likes this.
  12. G 97

G 97 Garth

I think that’s correct. One other item is that Eric Reid undoubtedly has or had the talent level to remain in the league so I’m sure this had a lot of influence towards the leagues decision to settle up front.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Did he post on the BBS at some point that he was making money just fine? I sure hope you're using that.

14. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

And Kap was offered contracts from other teams that he turned down.

15. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Can you say Raiders....

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I might be wrong but I think they are a not for profit.

They do spend money supporting youth orgs. The amount I've heard they spend on local touch football leagues would make some sit up and pay attention.

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

18. G 97

G 97 Garth

Good Lord is this guy a blow hard. Just another reason for the downfall of ESPN. I guess the louder you talk and the more you talk somehow makes you more credible. Blah b blah b blah. Mush mouth

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Without even watching the clip, I'll say that being a loud blowhard has been Stephen A. Smith's trademark for the past couple of decades. That's what he's known for, that's why they put him on the air. Whatever happened to ESPN, it's not on him or else it would have happened a long time ago.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Speaking of blowhard sports reporters, I don't know who this guy is, but I want to punch him in face soooooooo fucking bad! I've never ever heard his voice, but he's on at least two of the tv's at the gym every morning and his facial expressions and body language bring out the beast

[​IMG]