1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this sloppy motor case sealant or normal?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by L8RSK8R, Jul 9, 2011.

1. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

So gave the bike a once or twice over when it arrived. It's in excellent condition but I neither asked or was told about motor being opened up. Bike runs fine for the 2 blocks I rode it (unloaded on main road since no turn around space on my street for rig)
    There was definately some money thrown at this bike and could it be the motor's been built or supersported ?
    I'm takin it to Streets of Willow July 15th just to feel it out, get used to it and then I'll get it to dyno which would validate what if any internal motor work has been done.
    Has SBK Corsa titanium system, Penske shock, GPR V4, Galfer lines, PCIII, 254 miles on OD, clean NY title.
    Anyone know of http://www.seasidepowersports.com/
    www.speedbike.com plastered all over bike and speedbike site links to Seaside Power Sports but site is not active just yet (under construction)
    Well I'm rambling and my main question is: Would you expect sealant to be showing up like it is on this bike, would you expect a cleaner look/finish?
    Damn, can't load photo's :(

2. L8RSK8R

3. motox

motox 164

If they let it dry properly before running the motor you should be just fine.

Is it covering a crack or something in the first pic? the one of the oil pump cover

4. L8RSK8R

That look's to me like a joint in the casing's.
    Picture of rear of motor look's like quack, sealant all over the place.
    What's up with the front sprocket washer gizmoidal, look's mangled.

5. motox

motox 164

lock washer, AFAIK. that red shit is real hard to clean up. It really doesnt look all too sloppy.

6. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

cases have been split. sloppy job. Yeah the red shit is NOT the correct sealant IMHO

7. L8RSK8R

Thats what I thought, Odometer & title state 254 miles, would you suspect built up motor and am I right in thinkin a dyno session will tell if infact it's been built?
    Otherwise everything else is really tidy but this red sealant :/

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  8. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

My personal opinion, something has been repaired. Like stated before, its not the right sealant and it looks like they used way too much. Hopefully its not blocking any oil passages around the transmission.

9. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

If you want to know what is going on with the motor, pull the head and look. Otherwise you are speculating. It could have 14:1 pistons and slotted AMA cams and it could be bone stock. I'd vote bone stock as most decent motor builders won't leave a mess of red RTV, which is the wrong sealant as well. It's a piss poor way to end an expensive rebuild.

10. L8RSK8R

Fucksake.com :(
    I'll run it cautiously July 15th then bring it into Lee's Cycles to have 'em go over it.

11. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Have you changed the oil on it yet? Drain the oil and check for pieces of sealant that might have peeled off inside, metal flakes and/or bearing material. Should be fine if you dont flush out a handful of stuff.

Worst case scenario, take the oil pan off and have a look at whats inside the oil pan and have a look at the bottom end. I just opened a Gsx-R motor because I found metal shavings in the oil. Pulled the oil pan and could see one of the rod caps was discolored. I could wiggle the big end of the rod back and forth. Badly spun rod bearing. Pulling the pan wont show a whole lot but it might give some peace of mind if you are going to ride it before you have a shop look at it.

12. L8RSK8R

I bought a fookin lemon, thought it was a peach. Emailed seller to ask what the furk's goin on with this bike. He probably had no clue, told me it's got a Michelin rear wheel :)
    Yup, there's a Michelin sticker on the wheel.
    I'll be at Lee's 1st thing Tuesday morning and then relay findings to seller, he seemed a decent lad and I'm sure he'll work with me on this.

13. L8RSK8R

Was able to get an email off to bike's builder, response:

Yes the miles reading is accurate.
    A customer of ours bought the bike brand new and he installed cams himself and he did not time it properly and he bent the valves on cyl # 1 and overheated the engine.
    He took the bike to us and we opened the engine

The rod bushings were burned and there was too much material in the case (metal particles )
    The cylinders were fine, one of the cam was broken.
    We replaced the bushings with new ones. There was only one set if bushings burned (cyl #1). But we replaced all bushings just in case as the engine had overheated.
    We replaced both cams to new ones from Orient Express They are racing cams. Very good cams (not stock) the cams alone were $1,800.00.
    We rebuilt the engine completely and we timed it properly.
    It fired up first time and sounded great.
    We broke in the engine on a dyno and tested it. It was perfect.
    We installed the penske shock $ 1,200.00 and we revalved the forks and installed race springs
    I adjusted the suspension if that bike personally. If no one touched it should be perfect !
    The bike should be perfect now. The engine had in fact 254 racing miles and once we rebuilt it it was a zero mile engine again.

And in my researching I find a post on here from 2007 about a very young Speedbike rider who died while on track :( make's all of this (sloppy sealant thread) really petty and not really relevant/important. RIP young guy.

14. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Sounds like total bullshit. rod bushings? maybe bearings. Orient express cams? Last time I looked they made drag bike cams for earlier gsxrs, and $1800? No way. Last but not least, perfect suspension? LOL.

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Perfect for whom? Me at 190? Garrett at 140?

Pffffffffft!

16. L8RSK8R

Oh boy, I just ran the bike for 3 to 5 mins to check header temp's...Cylinder #1 is not firing. Cylinder #1 header is warm but I can place my hand on it for ever whereas the other's I can barely touch they are so hot.
    Deal was too good to be true :(

17. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

damn man. bummed for you, that thing was awesome looking... hopefully you can spring for the repairs and the seller will take care of you.

18. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

That's class right there. What a piece of shit.

19. L8RSK8R

Something lost in translation Tom?

20. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

I don't think so?

I read it as the POS seller trying to play off his selling you junk by bringing up the death of a "speedbike" rider.

Maybe I missed something?