1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this sloppy motor case sealant or normal?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by L8RSK8R, Jul 9, 2011.

1. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

2. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

So.. the green Kawi in the last shot is...?

My personal, very strong recommendation: get a used motor (maybe even through Lee's) and have them freshen it (rings, bearings) with a thin headgasket, install, and tune it. I'd think you can do this for about $2200 - check with the builder.

Stay away from the overbore and headwork the first motor's going to need.

Second-best option, get a running used motor, and install it without further work. I don't know what Lee's would charge to do that, but would hope it'd be a bit less.

All this is dependent on what someone at Lee's says about the rest of the bike, suspension in particular.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  3. L8RSK8R

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

You can have the cylinders replated by Millenium or US Chrome for less than $1k. Then have the crank inspected and install new main and rod bearings. A piston or two, new rings, and it's good to go. Yeah it will be ~$2k, but the motor will be fresh and you will own the history and be knowledgeable on the actuals inside your cases.

Or take a chance on an ebay engine, I have had good luck and bad luck with engines. One was install and run, the other was strip and completely rebuild from the crank up. I am a member of the "rebuild as much as you can manage before you replace" club, so I am biased toward digging into an engine and seeing what can be salvaged.

5. L8RSK8R

Suck's big time, I was searching for the perfect 600cc bike for 8-9 month's and this is what I came up with :(
    I'm findin motor's for $900-$1100. I've a big decision to make this weekend regarding what road to travel with the current motor.
    Will have to sell the Aprilia now also, could be worse though.

6. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Tell you the truth, the $400 spare motor I bought for my 600 was a very good motor, Maybe 8-10 HP down on the supersport motor I built to replace it. Not really that much. And a lot cheaper. If you are just starting you don't need that HP, you need track time, training, skills and suspension a LOT more.

7. L8RSK8R

I sent pix of damaged valve's to builder. I've been keepin him up to date with whats going on too...
    Sent this to him http://www.flickr.com/photos/47444830@N07/sets/72157627210553258/

Response: Easy repair,
    It should cost no more than 300
    What do they say?

Got me thinking...is there anyone who has the where-with-all, knowledge to help me out with assessing the damage to this motor? A phone call to Lee's, asking the right question's, knowing what's up. I feel like I'm almost being pushed to build out the motor...sure more money, more power but in all honesty...why would a shop be directing a non-racer (never raced yet) to a huge built motor capable of passing "Graves Yamaha's" in the straight's? (140WHP) I understand they need/want to make money, want the work etc, I know how business work's...kinda.
    I do live in a swanky zip code but I can't afford 5 to 7 grand of motor and frankly don't need it.

8. flyingpig70

flyingpig70 Well-Known Member

My neighbor is parting out an 08 with 6700 miles, I have been trying to get a hold of him, but I know they were out until earl this morning. When he wakes up and calls me back, I'll ask what he want for the motor.

9. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

A. You paid Lee, ask him to provide a written response.
    B. Buy a used motor and build the broken one up yourself. If you feel pressure you are being pushed. A stock motor is plenty for a new guy. You won't be able to use all its power.

10. L8RSK8R

Ima go stock on my ass, thanx guy's. Let me know on the motor, I guess I just need the block and I can transfer carb's etc from my orig motor....ahuh..right?

11. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

uhh fuel injection not carbs. Just buy a complete motor. The "block" is not a complete motor. Use your fuel injection, radiator, wiring, etc. Just get a complete motor.

12. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

At this point, I Agree.

FlyingPig'll get you a solid, running motor if you go through him. It'd ship from Texas.

13. L8RSK8R

I'm in, ready to PayPal, send invoice to [email protected]
    afm199 & kz2zx thank's for your help.

14. L8RSK8R

:( no sympathy needed...just a motor. Won't trust EBay cycle dismantler's.
    I do trust ya'll and if it work's out I'll spam a lot on your behalf.

15. L8RSK8R

Yo, I've been offered an 08 motor with 16,000 mile's for $600 and probably $200 to ship. Should I take it at get going or hold out for lower mileage unit?

16. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

hmm. for 900 bucks i got an 07 gsxr 750 with only 5k miles on it. included engine, throttle bodies, stock exhaust header and tip, including shipping...

seems pricy for that high mileage to me. if they ship, use forward air. super fast, their warehouse is down in mission valley off mission gorge.

17. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

this won't help you much now, but for the record any time i see red rtv sealant ANYWHERE on a motorcycle i assume it has been worked on by somebody who had neither the requisite skills nor appropriate supplies (yamabond isn't that expensive) to be working on said vehicle. too bad you live on the wrong coast...if you were near brooklyn i'd be more than happy to rebuild it for you on the side.

good luck either way.

- jim

18. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

I use red RTV on case plugs instead of wire. It's easy to see. That's the only time I use it.

19. F2RGK

F2RGK Smack Talker, but Nice!

Cases Sealant

Incorrect sealant used, and it's a sloppy job! Sorry, should've used 1211 from threebond or yamabond. Also, if puts on correctly the sealant will ooze out the side of the cases in an even line, not smeared all over. That sealant they used is more for exhaust RTV orange, wth? Just my professional opinion.

20. borgy

borgy Well-Known Member

so did this thing get into the shop and get torn down yet? id like to hear the findings. this totally sucks!