1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is MotoAmerica working?

Discussion in 'General' started by Henrybgood2, Nov 7, 2019.

1. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

stangmx13 likes this.
  3. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I don't think it's that crazy, as with any paid professional athlete, you run what you are told, which often includes sponsored products. What the Brotogp guys suggested of running the sticker and not the grips is essentially saying thanks for the money, but I'm your product sucks and I'm gonna show everyone who's watching.

I think that Graves story and the whole not getting paid part is crazier, if true.

4. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Don't recall but it was in the between years of DORNA and MotoAmerica. If my memory serves there was either one added late or a mini-series of racing out there to fill the gap. I am REALLY bad on 'when' as I possess zero sense of time.

And though I don't recall the year it was in March (lot of pros show up on the way to Daytona) and they could have added events after we talked. I was all just casual, nice folks and great pit neighbors.

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Apparently you're not aware of racers wearing a different brand of helmet than what the sticker says.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  6. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Or boots(Nickey's "Joe Rocket" boots, that look suspiciously ike Daytonas). Or exhaust on a factory Honda(A "Hindle" that looks just like an Akra, if I recall correctly). Then there was that motorcycle that won the Daytona 200 a couple years ago, without a manufacturers logo on it anywhere. Or....well, these are just the one's that I can recall off the top of my head.

Banditracer likes this.
  7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

There have been several Americans in recent memory who went over to Europe. The results haven't been what people want to see but the opportunity has been there.

We've had Americans in BSB over many seasons in multiple classes If they didn't earn a wsbk ride well, be faster I guess. :oops:

:stupid:

The Great One and stk0308 like this.
  8. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Can you rebrand a grip easily though? I'm not familiar w/ Progrip's products, but I assume they wanted something w/ branding like what Domino puts all over theirs in big red letters.

9. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Joe Roberts is riding for American Racing in Moto2. so at least theres that. and he won't be on 3rd-tier KTM machinery next year.

sheepofblue likes this.
  10. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yea, we need to Lance Armstrong the fuck outta either MotoGP or WSBK.

ducnut likes this.
  11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

From what I've read he's going into modeling? On the one hand great way to promote himself and fill the coffers. I hope he can stay focused (and interested) on the bike.

Out of all the American talent to try I thought Joe is the fastest and most focused of them all. I still think so. Hopefully he can brand himself into something a MotoGP team wants. If that's still his goal.

bbsteinnewyork likes this.
  12. MurfSVR

MurfSVR Well-Known Member

I’m late to the party but slight correction needed here - Iker Lecuona was in the top ten 9 times including one podium on that bike. Not to mention the KTM chassis was nearly impossible to ride at the beginning of the season so he could have done even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

And the one time Joe got to ride Ikler’s bike in Valencia he was much faster than any other race throughout the year if I am not mistaken.

14. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I wonder what sort of feedback the SBK teams give back to MA regarding costs and what sort of regulation changes would help.

I was listening to an episode of Off Track with Bobby Fong, and he was pretty candid about his 2020 plans not being clear, and how he would be hesitant to jump on the Hammer SBK bike because it's not shown to be a winning package as only the factory bikes can really compete for the championship.

I wonder if moving to BSB-type regulations would reduce cost enough to bring more sponsors and SBK teams into the mix, like Graves.

15. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

Year over year stability in the rules is what we need. We have that. WSBK rules has allowed me to run a Ducati. Now we have that.

If teams want to be in Superbike, they will find a way to be there. If they want to be competitive in superbike, they will build their program to be better every year until they are. It is a long term commitment and it is not going to be easy. It’s not supposed to be easy!

If they changed to BSB rules they would be screwing me and every other team who’s already here and invested in equipment. So no, don’t punish the teams who actually put their money where their mouth is.

Frankly, if I can figure out how to be on that grid every year then plenty others can.

That’s my feedback and I think that every private SBK team that is already established is more or less on that same page.

Changing the rules for the teams that “would only compete in Superbike if...” — I call BS. They still wouldn’t show up.

The series has guaranteed money for any team who wants to participate and have a good looking paddock presence. This is public knowledge and available on their website. I don’t see what the issue is...

cav115, jd41, mpusch and 15 others like this.
  16. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I’ll tell you my litmus test for if MA is working. Is it gaining viewers and fans and is it making enough money to keep the owners interested in continuing. I think adding races and TV packages and more things to do at the events are all positive over the past few years. If we crank out some folks to world championships, all the better, but if that is MAs priority then they would likely miss out on the fundamentals they are trying to build.

17. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I definitely appreciate the insight, Kyle. Hopefully more and more private teams will come into SBK.

18. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

In the latest Off Track podcast with Andrew Lee, one of the hosts mentions that there will be a new class in MA for 2020 called SuperBike Cup. It seems like it's supposed to be another feeder class to Superbike for the younger guys, but MA and RRW don't have any info on it.

Anyone know what the scoop is on that? Sounds interesting.

19. Paaach wasn’t too bad in the smaller class.

20. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Answered my own question.

http://www.motoamericaregistration.com/PDF/2020/2020 Superbike Cup.pdf

Steeltoe likes this.