1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is MotoAmerica working?

Discussion in 'General' started by Henrybgood2, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Henrybgood2

Henrybgood2 Well-Known Member

Gerloff to WSBK, Daniels WSS300 Wildcard, Landers Red Bull Rookies and CEV Moto 3 Wildcard, SDK Moto 2 Wildcard, Paasch British Moto 3 Champ and Moto 2 CEV Wildcard.

2. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Sounds like it is. I just read about SDK today. I knew about Gerloff and cant wait to watch him next year. Knew about Landers too, gotta find a way to watch his races as well.

I didnt know about Dallas Daniel's, but will be watching his races next year too.

BigBird, Dragginass and jd41 like this.
  3. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

I feel like this could get into a lengthy discussion and I am a supporter of MotoAmerica, but there were riders getting wildcard and full season rides before MotoAmerica existed and there have been Americans out in Europe grinding it out on their own without MotoAmerica as well.

Even Landers and SDK raced in Europe before coming to MA. Im pulling for all of the Americans, but they haven't had the best of results doing these wildcard races. The reason for that was covered in another thread, but it's hard coming onto home turf for 98% of the grid and expecting to compete. The level of performance is that much higher.

Look at what happened to Daniels at Qatar. He was the last placed running rider in the race. Paasch had a wildcard for the Moto3 race in Silverstone and he was running last there as well. The level is so much higher over there and it's incredibly hard to step up onto that level in a one weekend.

Im rooting for Gerloff. He has the drive to race in Europe and is incredibly fast. He will be starting at a disadvantage seeing as how everyone else on that grid has raced on the tracks in Europe for their entire life.

jd41 likes this.
  4. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

To me, Dallas always seems physically big on the little bikes. The battles he had with Rocco - it looked like Rocco was racing a grown man. I think he'd probably do better on a 600.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Wheew! I thought this was another bash thread.

A good indicator to me is that eurocentric Podcasts like Chasin The Racin, Full Throttle Podcast and even the announcers on Australian SBK mention it occasionally. Most recently talking about a rules change for BSB in favor of "how they do it in the States". I can't specifically remember what it was but I think was about restarts maybe?

What exactly does Stuart Higgs do with Motoamerica these days? Anyone know?

TheGrouchyCat and jd41 like this.
  6. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

Last season was great. I would say it had more excitement than wsbk and MotoGP.

Dragginass, AC1108 and MUFC1878 like this.
  7. Shocker

Yeah I think Dallas has grown out of the little bikes to stay competitive.

Also, I talked to SDK back in September and his goal has been to get back to Europe and I know his parents and I'm sure the Ulrichs have been working behind the scenes to help him get back over there. He will be giving it his best at Valencia as it will be an audition for him.

Gerloff, SDK and Landers want to race in Europe so I know they will give it their all to get to the level of the riders over there.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Based on grids and spectator turnout, yep, it's working.

El Cubano and jd41 like this.
  9. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

But how do they get more superbikes?

10. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

And from the lowest budget and least talented part of the paddock, I say this.....

Yes it's working, and I'm glad to see it.

SpeedyE likes this.
  11. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

That's great! The more talented part of the paddock is what worries me.

12. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Do they need more superbikes?

13. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Yes of course. That way the grid looks full then you can try to remember how many people are behind the same few people the camera stays on.

14. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

In the top 2 classes there are maybe 5 competitive bikes. The rest of the field is 30 seconds plus back. How does that bring new fans in to fill the stands ?

ducnut, Shocker and drop like this.
  15. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Yes it's racing, but the cost to run a superbike is stupid.

The 600 stuff will be a run away this year since Rick decided to take his ball and go home. That leaves m4 to just do what they want.

16. Shocker

Did Celtic decide to stop racing the 600s as well?

sdiver and badmoon692008 like this.
  17. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

And how is that different than other major series? In MotoGP, Moto2, Wsbk and WSS there are really only about 5 guys that can contend for the podium all season long.

Banditracer likes this.
  18. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

By my count, thirteen riders have podium'ed in Moto2 this year.

19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

ASBK is the best road racing series on the planet, right now. From the 150cc bikes on up, it’s all great racing.

20. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I don't think so. They'll be back as far as I know. I think it will be PJ Vs M4 if PJ rides with them again but that isn't official.