1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it true? $175,000 Payout for Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Feb 12, 2017.

1. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

indeed.. but it's my "warmup" prior to hitting the woods on a dirt bike for a couple hours. I sometimes get a big smile on my face after dodging trees, while loading up the bike, as i think about what i will read later :) :) I'm demented like that. LOL

Boman Forklift and John29 like this.
  2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

This thing open to all tire brands? I can't remember what they did last year.

3. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Yes.

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

Any live TV coverage?

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No announcements I've seen but can't see it not being on Fanschoice online. NASCAR owns them and the owners of DIS have some influence there :D Highly doubt anyone would spend the money for a TV channel.

6. motodog650

motodog650 pissed-off bloody wanker

From the ASRA Daytona 200 page:

Watch the 76th Daytona 200 on Fanschoice.tv

daveknievel and MELK-MAN like this.
  7. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Fanschoice will have the 200,and they said at the CCS/ASRA riders meeting in october,that the sunday sprint races will be televised(on fanschoice)as well.

8. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Disalvo won the race (or came darn close, I don't remember), on one front tire, on the Triumph.

Funny hearing guys say "it doesn't pay!" What racing series in the USA IS a money maker for the teams? 90% of the people on the grid are paying to participate.

I ran mostly 1:59's in the race last year, and I was about halfway up the running order, and I could have used one front tire. However I believe we had a red flag around 20 laps in, not quite halfway, so we changed fronts. You are allowed to do anything up to replacing the frame under a red flag, provided you stay on pit lane.

For a privateer that is looking to save money, you could probably get away without the full QC setup. The gap gets pretty spread out between positions as the race wears on, especially if there are no red flags. So let's say you run the same front, only use the QC rear and fuel, you probably would not lose any positions if you were running outside the top 10 if you take an extra 20 seconds in the pits. Also there are economies of scale, if you don't change the front, you need one less skilled crew member- you really need someone who knows what they are doing and maybe even worked on the setup of the QC front end, to change the front tire. The rear not as much, but it's still important.

Once you get into faster times, I'm sure they are working the front harder so the risk would go way up. I personally love the QC gear, it makes changing wheels so much easier even during sprint weekends.

I wasn't planning on doing the 200 this year, I spent an awful lot doing it the last two years, 2015 I got 28th place, I would have to have some lucky breaks to better that, and I am one of those guys that was in it for the "experience" of being in the big show. I went faster in '16, but then I broke. In '15 I was slower, but a lot of fast guys broke or crashed. So it cuts both ways.

Now I'm thinking of doing it again on the R6. I have some QC gear, but not all (I was racing a Ducati before). The entry is $250 but it comes with an RV spot. I usually buy the RV spot for the sprints, that's $195.....so I can get an extra 2 practice sessions and the 200 entry for $55. ........figure I'll blow another set of tires and some gas, it's almost worth it to sign up just for the heck of it. See how I qualify, enjoy the extra practice time, and give it a go.

Last year I believe May and Barney were really close in Qualifying, 1:50.xx. Debise ran a 1:48 if I remember correctly when he did the sprints back in October. Team Hammer has a lot of endurance experience.....should be a heck of a show!

MELK-MAN likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All depends on what you consider paying. If you're a team getting paid by sponsors to run a certain series and this isn't it - then it doesn't pay. Especially if as JU says your contract is the rider gets purse money. So then you have to factor in what it may gain you in publicity or knowledge for the series you're getting paid to run. It makes sense for some bigger teams but obviously not all or even most.

The bigger pro teams are making money. They get sponsors who pay them cash to go racing, if they have enough they make a profit. Same for riders, some have enough private sponsors to offset a team not paying them or even having to pay the team for the ride versus starting and running their own team. They can still make a profit above and beyond what they pay for the ride - so they're being paid to race.

10. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I would normally agree, but in this case there is a track day Friday, and than a a long endu
    It's the blue Angels...

deepsxepa likes this.
  11. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I get this part, but I was referring to the purse money vs. expenses- I imagine there are virtually no races which are "profitable".

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you're talking about purse money compared to the cost of everything it took to do the race (including factoring in the percentage of cost of the bike and so on for that race) compared to the purse only - then yep, none of them are profitable.

13. He didn't win it, he came in 2nd (lost by about 1 bike length IIRC).

What was even more impressive is how long he went on the rear tire. He had to pit very early in the race because of some kind of issue. They changed the rear tire then. I don't remember exactly what lap it was on, but I believe the race wasn't even in double digits yet. Or maybe it was around lap 12 or so. I can't remember but it was much earlier than planned.

When he pitted the next time to get gas, he told them to only put fuel in the bike to save time, and went back out and finished the race on those same tires. But what was impressive is that he didn't just finish on that same rear tire, he went faster than everyone else. It was several years ago so I don't remember all of the specifics. But in the last 1/3rd or so of the race, on that same rear tire that was installed close to the beginning of the race, he was lapping about 1-2sec faster than the field and charged from mid-pack to the front and almost won.

It was the year he ran the Gary Nixon replica bodywork on the Triumph.

14. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Your not all that,but at least you think you are.Thats good enough for you.

15. ToofPic

Ohhh mighty Zeuss of print !! Strike down heavily upon my wretched typing,and opinions...:rolleyes:

John29 likes this.
  16. MELK-MAN

No Sir.. Disalvo DID win the d200 when he change motors.. ;) incredible stuff.
    http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/Articles/2011/03/Daytona-200-wrap-up.aspx

17. MELK-MAN

nope, never claim to be all-anything, in fact i dare ya to find a post of mine that is even bordering on bragging... but it is VERY clear, that you are 100% douche.

i rest my case...

18. MELK-MAN

hope you and Jason Edmonds have a great 200 Gino ! get-er-done. Win some of that purse money that is arguably not purse money...
    :)

19. ToofPic

You never had a "case". Case of fat head,more like it.
    I posted my opinion on a forum about thr two hunred and you got all bong hurt.
    then here recently your buddy shows up to speak on your behalf?
    Neither of you get any respect from me.
    Washed up on two .
    The douche will forever haunt my soul.Where will I go from here?
    Gone go dodge some trees on my dirtbike,and smile about my smug self centered self?:crackup:

20. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Melk is never wrong bro and can prove everything with nothing. We even learned over time, that he can't even understand plain English,when right in front of him. See the Frankie thread.

yokohama1 and ToofPic like this.