1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it true? $175,000 Payout for Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Brad Perdiew

Brad Perdiew Active Member

Wait what?
    The track will be down for a few hours?
    Ya, nothing gets me properly ready to race like sitting around doing nothing for 3 extra hours. I predict a ton of red flags from all the brain farts brought on by wasting away a third of the day.
    People are driving from the west coast to do this, I'm driving 13hrs, why are we going to sit around not using the race track again?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

if the air show is close enough then i could see it becoming a huge distraction for alot of people. including cornerworkers and maybe even some riders so it might be a good idea to wait it out.

i dunno if it will have military aircraft but if i could hear a jet engine over my own bikes engine, that would totally throw my concentration. that may not be an issue at all but having others not completely focused on the racing for any reason, would be IMO

3. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I think Geoff May has a pretty good game plan.

he runs a professional level operation, but it's as lean as he can get away with.

Were there any green-flag pit stops last year? i wonder how much time it would really cost a team to not run the quick-change stuff... I get that it could cost them the race, but it could also keep them off the grid.

4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Of course there were green flag pit stops. And even if there somehow wasn't, I believe you are required to take one.

No one is going to win (or be competitive) in the 200 without a QC setup and a quick fill tank. Efficient pit stops take 20 seconds or less for tires and fuel. If your pit stop takes a minute, you're going to lose a lap in the pits.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Even a little mom and pop team like Tyler and I wouldn't show up there without spending the extra coin on the tank and QC stuff. Diesel to get back and forth would probably cost me the same amount, so if I can afford to get there, I'm surely going to spend the extra to be competitive as possible.

Gorilla George and MELK-MAN like this.
  6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Some smaller privateer teams might go without a quick change front wheel and run one front tire the whole race. It reduces the possibility of mistakes in pit lane and the size of the required pit crew as well. I would think that is about as far as you can take it unless someone really wants to gamble on a harder endurance compound lasting the whole 200 miles and run the same rear for the whole race.

With MotoAmerica's spec tires the above might not be possible, but this is ASRA so run whatever tire you want.

rk97 and MELK-MAN like this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For the riders at the top of the AMA classes it would be easier for sure. They've got the talent part and laptimes down pat. That doesn't change the rest of what goes into it taking a lot. All other things being equal I'll take the factory paid rider :D

MELK-MAN likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh? Where did anyone say anything about losing races and losing two practice sessions (especially since that's how many we usually have in the morning)?

You'll have Friday and Saturday and an Endurance Saturday to get an absolute shit ton of practice if you need it.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's simple - going to NJMP is a good thing for WERA which is good for the series and the region and this is what we need to do to make it happen.

Wheel Bearing, LD and Boman Forklift like this.
  10. Brad Perdiew

OK, well an announcement like that deserves to be put somewhere where people planning to travel from all over the country can easily notice it, not buried in a silly thread about non WERA race payouts.
    And this doesn't seem to be an answer as to why the track will sit empty but whatevs.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There will be a real announcement once I have time to get a real schedule done.

I've already explained why the track will be cold. It's not a huge deal any more than the quiet time at Road Atlanta. Not sure why this is becoming something people want to be upset about. It'll be a long lunch break and I'll arrange things around it to get as much practice and race time as we can. It'll be Memorial Day so we can run later on Sunday without being an issue with people getting home for work Monday morning and so on. This isn't something we just agreed to without any thought or without the ability to take care of our riders.

If you're choosing to run the National Challenge Series you've raced with us long enough to know we do everything we can for our riders - from getting them in front of new crowds like at NJMP to making sure they get as much track time as possible.

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I assume most teams start the 200 knowing that their odds of winning aren't good.

With that said, a top 30 or top 20 finish is a more realistic goal. For those folks, I think quick change stuff is less necessary. I'll have to find last year's time sheets and see how much of a gap there is between 10th, 20th, 30th etc.

If it's tighter than I think, then I'm way off.

13. Brad Perdiew

Cool. I'm not upset bro, I'm just asking questions so I can understand wassup. I just don't understand why we can't use the track but it ain't no biggie

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I do agree, you may be able to get away with one front, didn't someone win it in the past few years with only one front? But I would still want the quick fuel system and quick change stuff on the rear at least.

I remember getting to play with a quick change setup a friend of mine, Armen had on his GSXR 1000. It was really cool how quickly you can roll that front wheel in and out and zip it up with the impact gun.

15. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="MELK-MAN, post: 5032003, member: 3965". Disalvo doing a full motor swap and still winning, comes to mind.[/QUOTE]
    So,Your saying Disalvo changed his own motor during the race and won? If...You remember correctly?
    Is that what your saying you needling hack?
    Really? Disalvo took his daddys money,and as a trained mechanic changed his motor,and won the race?
    This is about as fun as listening to you argue about someone getting screwed on a bike purchase.
    I'm waiting..Im tapping my foot this time.

16. LD

LD I do science

Sometimes the beeb is like a wife. You say one thing, they hear whatever the fuck it is they feel like hearing and then spin it and sensationalize it and wind up getting really upset about nothing. But I love my wife :)

bleacht likes this.
  17. LD

LD I do science

OK, I love the beeb too, when it helps me procrastinate and not write my dissertation, which is always

18. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

ToofPic:
    So now we are arguing semantics in the General section of the BBS? A new low...

DiSalvo was riding for George Latus' team, not his dad. They changed an engine during an extended red flag.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2017
    dsmitty37, LD and MELK-MAN like this.
  19. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

learn to use the quote feature correctly.. i'll consider wasting more time debating with you.

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  20. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

[
    Operative word being, "wasting"...