1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intro to BJJ

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Nov 13, 2017.

1. vance

vance *

Had the left side lower 3 detach 4 years ago trying to muscle past a scissor sweep instead of just going with the sweep. Knee on belly still hurts to this day, or even when I roll with a 225lb dude who gets mount. It’s all part of it. I tore my hamstring yesterday.
    For me, these things always happen when I’m in odd positions or when I try to muscle through moves when guys get the upper hand. I’ve pretty much stopped that. Wisdom is supposed to come with age but apparently I only have one of the two.

2. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Kinda, but not really. Rib tweaks are pretty common and hurt like hell, but they're caused by inexperience. When I was new I did a lot of flailing and scrambling. You're always in a bad position so you twist and contort and default to schoolyard wrestling. I think that's when that stuff happens, and you just notice it later.

You're better than me at supplement stuff, so you don't need advice, but double down on whatever you normally take for inflammation whenever you're training. It's just so hard on connecting tissue and stabilizers that you feel like you're constantly in pain.

vance likes this.
  3. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Beat me to it :D

4. vance

vance *

Yeah but you know he will hear it for the next year and not listen to the advice :D
    I’ll still offer up a triangle just so I can stack and pass guard :D
    I loved Michael Bisping’s comment after the GSP fight. “I guess all those pushups and protein powder worked. Good for him”. :crackup:

5. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

100%. The triangle is the BJJ version of the rear brake. Everyone wants to use it because the pros do, but barely anyone does it effectively. I'll pretty much hand a triangle to anyone under purple with zero fear.

As you pointed out, there are a ton of guys who will give up a rock solid guard for a half assed triangle attempt. Never ends well.

vance likes this.
  6. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

7. vance

vance *

To clarify, I’ve only been back a year after a 5 year break due to work travel and am still a blue belt, so I’m not qualified to give advice much past what white belts will experience.
    5 years ago I was told something that not only stuck with me, but for my particular situation convinced me to continue with the journey.

“Don’t go to the gym to fight, go to the gym to think.”

I’m 43, still in pretty good shape, former competitive bodybuilder and in my mind I’m still pretty tough. :D The reality is you’re gonna get beat by the better guy 9 times out of 10 and 99 out of 100 if they’re better and 20 years younger :D.
    Ryoung, I don’t know your age or physical capacity but I can tell you to leave your ego at the door and be prepared to be beaten by big/small/skinny/fat/short/tall/etc dudes who are either more experienced than you or more athletically gifted. It’s a great hobby full of really cool people. Stick with it ;)

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

39, always been athletic, working my way back into shape after being chained to a desk and not working out with any consistency for 2-3 years. I’m hooked. It’s hard for me to adapt because I’m usually really good at the things I do, but there’s so much to learn and process with this stuff. I feel like a baby!

vance likes this.
  9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Inflammation from injury is good. I don’t take anything to reduce acute inflammation because it’s how your body heals itself.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/shocking-truth-about-inflammation

I have started taking a ton of collagen though. It’s really good for repairing connective tissue and for overal joint health. I’m also thinking of taking a yoga class for flexibility and have been looking at those ginastica natural workouts.

vance likes this.
  10. vance

vance *

Welcome to it! The cool part is everyone of your training partners will grow along with you. You’ll likely never catch some of them because they’re a few steps ahead of everything you’re trying on them. As new guys come in, the things you’re just now learning will work with very little effort and you’ll be able to apply technique with very little force.
    It has taken quite literally a full year for me to pass one guy’s guard successfully. He’s a 130lbs soaking wet but may possibly have bones made of rubber. Straight up awesome open guard. Within the last few weeks, however, he’s been able to shut down my pass so it’s back to the drawing board. It really is like chess, except you get choked out :D

11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Ever hear of Joao Miyao? Same deal, ridiculous guard. Watch his match with Gary Tonon. I think Tonon won, but Miyao is an awesome example of what a weaker fighter can do with technique.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Man, I really want to get one of these things but I don't want to have to explain to everyone that visits my house that it's not an S&M sex doll :crackup:

MMA Training Dummy.jpg

13. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Look at it this way: If anyone gives you grief, challenge them to a fight. Either you kick their ass and they don't mess with you again, or they kick your ass and you learned a valuable lesson. But regardless, you would get "live action" training from fighting them!

14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I saw a really interesting grappling dummy a while ago and thought hard about it. I'll see if I can dig up a link.

**Seems like the project got scuttled. I can't find it anywhere. For about a month you couldn't watch a youtube video without getting an ad for the thing...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  15. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Haha. I just saw an ad for grappling dummies a couple weeks ago and was telling my wife about it. We are both about 3 months into our BJJ journey. I was thinking one of those would be good for practicing what we learn in class.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Why not practice on each other? We’ve got a couple of husband/wife pairs that are really deep into it. I’m pretty one of them has mats instead of carpet at their house.

17. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

We do a little. Not much room in the house. I told her we should roll in the front yard and see how long it takes for the neighbors to call the cops.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  18. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I'm giving BJJ another try. I have been around it and have taken a few classes but have no significant experience. Who makes the best gi? I had one from my first go around that was a pos. I don't care what it costs. I want something comfortable and that has good sizing. I'm 6'2" and 175 lbs so I won't fit a regular small/medium/large chart.

19. Redlining52

Redlining52 Well-Known Member

Hyperfly and Future Kimonos make good gi's

20. SWest122

SWest122 Well-Known Member

Look at Origin USA (originmaine.com). They are made in the USA and it's a pretty cool story how they got in to it.