1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intro to BJJ

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Little known fact: a "full Brazillian" waxing was invented by Greek wrestlers. Google it.

2. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

With shoulder length hair and a big Dude beard. If JBraun met me in a dark alley he would piss his pants and run away screaming like a girl. :crackup:

3. Redlining52

Redlining52 Well-Known Member

Famous last words.

4. Mot Okstef

No words were spoken. Just a good old fashioned ass kicking that was well deserved. :moon:

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I would. So would Buck. Buck can actually fight :D

6. Mot Okstef

Buckwild. A blast from the past. I rode his POS bike in the endurance race at VIR back in the day. Even put spare parts from my bike on it to make it rideable. He didn't even last 20 minutes in his first stint and came in winded as hell. Then Joe went out and crashed the shit out of it in his stint. The crash truck brought the bike back and they asked me if I wanted to go out again. I said FUCK NO! then went and took a shower and chilled and drank beer for the rest of the day.

The sad part is I asked Buck for the parts back and it turned into a debacle. I think I even started a Buyer Beware thread on the BBS about it. I never got my parts back but he did finally send me the cash so I could replace the parts I put on his bike to make it race worthy.

Buck may talk a mean game but in my book he's a pussy.

I know, TL;DR but the beeb and WERA racers never forget. ;)

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Did my first class tonight. Damn. I thought I was in decent shape. I've got some work to do.

vance and biggenyz426 like this.
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Meh, if you know his kryptonite he's a wuss puss. :D

I remembered this thread while reading up some stuff on Harley Flanagan. He's a black belt in this shit and teaches it in NYC.

9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Awesome. The first step is the biggest one.

There's something about grappling that's more exhausting than other sports. Especially when you roll with guys who are very efficient with their energy.

One of my favorite coaches actually stays after every class and puts on a 15 minute metcon type workout for anyone with anything left in the tank. I always stay, but there have been times when I really didn't want to!

10. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

He was on Jocko Podcast, and was very captivating. Interesting guy and a cool example of someone turning their addictive personality toward something productive.

11. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I used to train Muay Thai, and there was a Jiu Jitsu class that came in after us. A lot of the guys were intrigued, and it was becoming quite popular, so we had a couple of opportunities to cross train with them. As others have said, it's quite humbling and after I spent some time learning more about it, there is a whole culture that surrounds it. A "polite" way to fight properly, at least during a Jiu Jitsu match.

But at the end of the day, I didn't enjoy rolling around soaked in sweat on stinky mats with some other dude's body part in my face. So I stuck to the standup stuff. I hope to get back in there one day, but I got knocked out a few times in training and that shit is not good for you, especially if you have to get a medical for work as I do.

I will say that if you are going to fight another person, and that person is trained in Jiu Jitsu, you're going to get your ass kicked when the fight goes to the ground.

Fortunately, not many truly evil people (criminals or other attackers) are trained fighters. They just go for the "shock and awe" attack and are pretty easily defeated by someone who can keep cool, put up a couple of blocks, and hit back. And people who carry weapons.

Fencer likes this.
  12. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I like Muay Thai, but I'm with you on the head trauma.

I got blanked a few weeks ago in training by a kid who was maybe 22. There's an unwritten rule about head kicks in sparring, but we were in full pads and head gear, and it wasn't discussed beforehand. I should have kept my hands up so it was my fault.

He's a southpaw and was trying to time his leg kicks with an overhand right counter. I dropped my left had when I threw it, and caught a shin flush to the face. I was out cold. It took almost a week to feel 100%.

I haven't sparred since, and think I might just stick to BJJ. Striking is fun, but I've more than met my concussion quota for this life and I'm getting too old to be in the ring with that kind of testosterone...

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Someone mentioned Buck earlier. His brother(s) are into some of that way out there crazy fighting styles. I forget what the one was but it was some crazy island shit.

Now some of you know Buck and how he's like 6'13" and way over a thousand pounds of muscle. I've been told he's the runt of his family.

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Since I've been an adult, I don't recall one situation where I needed fighting skills that didn't take place in or in close proximity to a drinking establishment. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I'm probably fairly average as far as that stuff goes.
    How many guys here actually get into fights (besides Robby Bobby)?

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Never. I don’t get messed with often either, but I can’t imagine what it would take to get me into a street fight anymore. You’d have to hurt someone I care about or literally attack me.

I have no interest in fighting outside the gym.

16. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I hang out in dark alleys waiting for unsuspecting 6'4" 225 pound hirsute gentlemen to pass by so that I can go all Bruce Lee on their overgrown asses.

JBraun likes this.
  17. vance

vance *

It's aerobic, anaerobic, isometric.... it's hard to train for, aside from just rolling.

18. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Now see, if I spent years and lots of money learning to be Bruce Lee, I'd want the chance to use it once in a while.
    It's like being a priest with a 12 inch cock.
    Seems a waste.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

First injury, yaaaaaay! Working on escaping from full guard and my partner pushes down on the left side of my rib cage and either pops a rib out of place, or pops one that was out back in. Either way it hurts like a sonofabitch:)

Fencer likes this.
  20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Five weeks later, and they still hurt. Both sides. Are banged up ribs just something you have to learn to live with?