1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intro to BJJ

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Nov 13, 2017.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I put a little something in the Youtube thread.

Mot Okstef likes this.
  2. biggenyz426

biggenyz426 too big to fail

One thing I would add is make sure the gym stresses and practices take downs. It's easy to get in a routine where you go to roll with someone and you both just start on your knees ( I know, I know) so you can get to the actual rolling but it's not benefitting either partners to start that way. My gym being more competition focused is very heavy on take downs and it shows when we're at a tournament who works them and who doesn't. Don't be afraid to roll with the higher ranked guys and gals, they'll tap the shit out of you to the tune of once a minute or more at first but they don't usually just grab stuff and start yanking, giving you time to tap. The white belts that have been coming for a couple weeks are the ones to watch out for, they use all of their strength on every grab, move and transition and it leads to elbows to the face and such. So don't be that guy. Don't be afraid to try stuff and to keep moving, the worst that happens is you screw it up and you tap.

Fencer and JBraun like this.
  3. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

This. The take down shot is the most difficult skill to master in BJJ.

4. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

I already don't watch MMA so it's all good. :cool:

5. Mot Okstef

Training? On a mat? LOL! Your definition of a "real fight" is laughable at best. Where I grew up a real fight didn't include dancing around or wrestling. You just went for the kill and smashed the other guy's face in until someone pulled you off of him, if there was even someone else around. All this pussy dancing, hugging and wrestling shit is not what you call a real fight. :moon:

6. Mot Okstef

WHAT-EVAH!!!! :rolleyes:

It only takes one good shot to the skull to take someone down. You must have been a wimp growing up and never got in a real fight. :p

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

And what's all this crap about no kicks in the nuts?
    If I have an open shot, that's the first thing I'm going for.
    Ain't no damn rules in fighting for Chrissake.

So, do you guys do this BJJ stuff naked, like the Greeks?

[​IMG]

Mot Okstef likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And all that swinging would have done you any good when I grab you around the arms and throw you across the room :D

JBraun and badmoon692008 like this.
  9. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Mot Okstef likes this.
  10. brother_ed7

brother_ed7 brother_ed7

The place I did my boxing training had MMA guys that would train the same nights I would box. It looks cool, and I actually had my trainer why was also an MMA guy, teach me how to kick. If you have never been kicked in your quad by a person that knows how to use his shin bone to kick, you have NO idea how freaking bad it hurts.
    I don't have any desire to roll around with a guy all covered in sweat. It's not a gay fear thing, it's a sweaty stinky mind my personal space thing.

11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Now my feelings are hurt. I have an overwhelming urge to post my Golden Gloves record and my report card.

Why are you still here?

Mot Okstef and bleacht like this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I keep forgetting a lot of you haven't met Tom. He's skinny and short and ain't fighting nobody. :D

13. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

now it all makes sense :crackup:

14. Redlining52

Redlining52 Well-Known Member

Be prepared to tap a lot, verbally tap if needed. Don't try to be a hard ass and fight out of every submission, you'll end up just hurting yourself more, just tap and learn from the mistake. Be a good training partner, make sure you're clean, and your fingernails and toe nails are trimmed. Go in with a humble and positive attitude to learn and people will be more willing to help you out. I've been training since 2005 so have spent my fair share of time on the mats, and that is typically some of the advice i give new people. That and don't get frustrated, BJJ is like playing chess, their is always something to learn, just focus on the basics right now and understanding the actual positions, don't worry about all the new techniques all the top guys are playing that you see on youtube .

biggenyz426, vance and JBraun like this.
  15. Mot Okstef

Just knock the mother fucker out and go back inside the bar and have another beer. :beer:

16. Mot Okstef

Been a while since you've seen me eh? Wouldn't exactly call 6' 4" and 225 skinny or short. :moon:

17. Mot Okstef

Go ahead and post your report card from a prominent university. :p

I will post the fact that when a dude who fucked with my girlfriend when I was dating her & started stalking her, I met him outside of his work place and beat him into a bloody pulp with no words spoken or any man hugging or any of that wrestling bullshit and the point was proven. THAT my friend is how you kick some ass.

18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Cool story bro.

Toughest guy on the internet right here.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  19. Mot Okstef

Go put on your leotard and wrestle yourself to death tug (yes, spelled that way on purpose) guy. :D

20. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Pfft! 6'4" and 225......yeah thats skinny.

Fencer and Mot Okstef like this.