1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intro to BJJ

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Nov 13, 2017.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's pretty difficult to achieve without being an openly shit human being. Look how long Kangasj tried to get a lifetime ban.

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That must have been during my time away. I got a 30 day ban from the big guy once for a photo I posted. That's what's nice here is the ability to pretty much say anything, and the language!

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What must have happened while you were away? Kangas? He's been chipping away at it for a few years now and only recently (like, this month, I think) got his wish. :D

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Pancreas quit working. Thought about starting a thread titled...."ever think you won't make it?"
    I think the big guy saved my ass...not Mongo :D
    Lost 80 lbs though, but only needed to lose 20!

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Dang, doesn't sound like a good time. Glad you made it back.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Wow. How much have you put back on. Everything working well now.

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Thank you. I feel pretty good. I need an MRCP (MRI of pancreas) every year, it sucks, I can feeling my innards getting warm, takes an hour. I have gained about 50.

This all happened when I was considering a move to LA early 2020. I was all packed and ready to go. The guy I was dealing with delayed my departure for 1 month because of covid. I was starting to feel bad that whole time. I'm glad I didn't make that trip, probably didn't need the extra stress at that time. We still talk, and he says there is still interest on his part.

8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Sounds like it is good you didn’t do it then. My offer is still open if you want to come out here and try it out without having to sign a lease. Might be a great way to bank some major money while you daughter is finishing college. I don’t recall if your wife went back to work in south Texas?

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Thanks Rob, Hotel California, I may never leave :D Yes, my wife actually arrived here 6 months before I did, and 4 months before my daughter. She landed a good job in Austin last November. She's a director at a private Pre-K school. I still think about the move, when someone offers you 2-3 times what you normally make it gets your attention. Me and the owner just clicked, he said it felt like he was dealing with his brother when talking to me. I have a bag ready to go in an instant :D

HPPT and Boman Forklift like this.
  10. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

[​IMG]

A little more progress. When I started (and even when I got my blue belt), I would have said that a purple belt isn’t going to happen. I’m already 50 years old and I don’t weigh very much. However, I’m now starting to see that it might be possible. Not getting injured is probably the most important variable. The irony is, the further I make it the less important the promotions are to me.

11. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

Congrats! Very cool man!!!

SteveThompson likes this.
  12. SteveThompson

13. SteveThompson

14. Admotowork

Admotowork Well-Known Member

Congrats
    You almost made it to purple without quitting like most.

15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I finally made my schedule work with the local place....which btw...in a hillbilly, backwoods, middle of nowhere, place I live in...who would have thunk there would be a Gracie lineage BJJ gym ~15min away.

Things I've learned so far ...I am old, fat and really...know really out of shape.
    I was never super athletic/coordinated...but I wasnt a f&*(%$ing klutz....but now Im kind of a klutz. I guess a couple decades of not doing sports/activities on a regular basis does that to your hand eye body coordination.
    Also, I hope my back stays OK enough I can keep doing this regularly enough to get into some of the normal gi classes. That looks like fun.

16. SteveThompson

Are you doing no gi now?

Go to class, stay relaxed and try to pick good partners. If you do that, you will be okay. It’s tough in the beginning and a bad drilling partner will make it worse. You kinda have to survive the first 12 months or so.

Have you rolled/sparred at all?

17. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Just doing a no gi beginners class. Have several more weeks of that. Afterwards I think I will join and try to come to 1x 2x a week regular classes with gi and do lessons/drills and sparring during those.

It's a lot to learn and I am not trying to be a world champ or Billy bad ass...just really an excuse to get my chunky ass out and work out.

18. SteveThompson

That’s a good plan.

I’d get into the gi asap. I think it’s safer. It’s also more technical and, in my opinion, more fun.

ChemGuy likes this.
  19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I agree with everything except the fun part. I gave up on the gi years ago. Every once in a while I think about giving it a shot but my ego is used to training at a certain level and frankly I know how fucked I'll be. I choose to stay in my lane. For now.

ChemGuy and SteveThompson like this.