1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think Jorge Lorenzo has a problem.

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Apr 3, 2019.

1. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Rossi could beat Stoner sometimes, and once even managed to work his feared "Rossi Hex" on Stoner. Marc is immune to the hex.

Razr likes this.
  2. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Stoner decided to go fishing while he was young, rich, and healthy. Years of internet blather notwithstanding, I'm not convinced that he made the wrong choice.

Banditracer and NemesisR6 like this.
  3. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

That right there is called defensive psychology.
    Instead of talking numbers, competitor/expert feedback, ability etc. You start your argument with a completely irrelevant point.

But yeah the guy went fishing and never came back, shame, and I still hate that he did that. Doesn't change the educated opinion that he's better than Marquez.
    I don't say fact because they never went head to head on equal terms.

4. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Totally agree. Just was looking for something he was better at than Marc.
    Jeezus, some of you actually take this a bit serious. Someone already talked numbers (and they were pretty clear). But go on with "educated opinion". That's golden.
    Shit. I like Casey. A lot. His fans, less so.

scottn, BigBird and I'm with Stupid like this.
  5. nigel smith

I would say Casey and Marc are about equal on otherworldly talent. Marc has the edge in mental strength and maniacal facial expressions.

bacolmm likes this.
  6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

It's safe to say that version of Rossi was a wee bit more effective than the current version.

Stoner's competitions was The Aliens.

Marc's competition is himself and sometimes Dovi.

ShadowBoxer and SpeedyE like this.
  7. nigel smith

Poor Rossi! It must suck being the third best rider in the world. But yes, when Marc takes the grid, most of his competition is wondering who will finish third.

8. So, not a racer then. Racers race. Quitters fish.

;)

9. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Oh good grief, Stoner is living la Dulce Leche.....

<Yes, it was on purpose...>

10. nigel smith

We stopped racing after a mutual realization that it wasn't fun anymore. I guess we were never really racers.

pickled egg likes this.
  11. And poles, race wins, and championships.

SuddenBraking and BigBird like this.
  12. I was never really a racer. I just chased other guys as fast as I could around the track until the checkered flag waved.

cha0s#242, yokohama1, SpeedyE and 3 others like this.
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

This right here. ^^^^

14. nigel smith

Numbers don't lie, but to be fair, Stoner had to face full strength Rossi and a bunch of guys I can't remember. Marc is racing watered down Rossi, Dovi, and a bunch of guys that I will soon forget.

Steeltoe likes this.
  15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You best remember Nicky Hayden. :Poke:

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Kinda like Doohan did?
    :eek:

17. nigel smith

Of course. He was the racer I always told my kid to emulate. I think Stoner was a rookie during Nicky's championship season.

18. nigel smith

Didn't Doohan come in on the tail end of American dominance of 500GP?

19. Hayden was a racer from early childhood until his untimely death. That is something Stoner cannot ever claim to be.

20. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

I'll wade in, looks like the water is nice and warm :)

The stats support MM being the better racer, and from my simple vantage point of watching all this silly stuff for several decades, MM is a better rider/racer than Stoner.

Stoner was often criticized for being unable to battle. MM lives for and typically dominates his battles. Stoner was blindingly fast, but often stumbled when passed or re-passed by someone like Rossi. MM on the other hand is one of the best ever at battle, passing and re-passing with impunity.

Stoner could do amazing things on a bike. MM is regularly described as "defying physics!". We know he isn't actually defying them, but he can crash his way though corners and come out the other side like no rider before him.

Stoner was known to struggle with a bit of adversity. MM has thrived on it for years. Heck, in his first two seasons, he crashed multiple times throughout practice finding the limits, sometimes horribly, but was always back up and ready to go on Sunday, and typically on the podium.

That's about it. I loved watching Stoner ride, and I like him as a person. I love watching MM ride, but he leaves me a bit cold as a person. That said, I think MM is better than Stoner ever was.

Would absolutely loved to have seen them compete against each other (especially with both at "their prime"). Same as with all the greats.