1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

There aren’t many but I do know a few that might consider that a light load out …my wife is absolutely not one of them.

2. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

Yeah, a rifle or SBR isn’t going to happen for a number of reasons :)

A revolver would be great except for limited capacity. I stopped carrying a Glock 43 because I didn’t feel I had enough rounds on board for a human attack, so I don’t think low capacity makes much sense for a bear. I’ve seen enough video of law enforcement 15 round mag dumps with single digit hits to understand I may not perform much better when the shit hits the fan. And I train far more frequently than my wife. Flawed logic perhaps, but I think the search will have to be limited to semi-autos, which is what she has experience with.

3. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Reliability and Ease of use when fighting for your life would be #1. Comfort of carry , especially for short trip’s versus all day carry is not nearly as important. Small handed , framed women will have a very difficult time hitting the target with a firearm that overpowers them. There are no easy choices and as I said earlier I’m working with my wife on a canned 9 for home so I’m aware of the hurdle it’ll take to have your wife shooting a high power pistol accurately. The weight of the pistol it will take to help control it will also be a challenge. I’d look to a single stack auto or revolver due to hand size and Definitely ported. Good luck and let us know what you land on.

4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Damn………I like that thing

5. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

If we're talking black bear, I think +p 9mm will still be acceptable. She has to practice with it though. Fear response will play hell with that accuracy, as has already been said by how well cops shoot under pressure. She has to develop muscle memory, just like we do with racing motorcycles.

6. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

id like to believe i shoot better than most cops as most cops cant shoot for shit :)

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

They make it up with production volume.

8. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Not all of them. Watched a candidate for a small city PD attempt to qualify at the local range. 1 shot out of 30 managed to graze a shoulder and a band-aid probably would have taken care of the injury. This was at 7 yards (or 6.4 meters if you prefer).

Phl218 and Sabre699 like this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

10. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

see @HPPT i know what im talkin about haha

11. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Put the PDP in the queue at Monsoon for Father’s Day…I’ll post a full report in about 15 weeks :(

StaccatoFan likes this.
  12. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your neighbor, what a horrible way to go. Is bear spray an option? I know it's not lethal but can you really trust that your wife will be able in a panic situation to put rounds on target? With bear spray you point and shoot an it lets out a vicious stream of eye burning hell which has shown to 90% effective on charging/aggressive bears. Have a read here:
    https://bebearaware.org/deploying-bear-spray

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I wasn't disagreeing with you. :D

14. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I really like mine. And if my handguns it’s my girlfriend’s favorite. It has an RMR red dot.

She just got her MD conceal carry and is seriously looking at the PDP F for her carry piece. We just need time to get to the store to check it out and her seal that deal. Been in the road a lot lately with the kid and racing.

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

When we lived in AK and wildlife issues were a real concern, my wife carried a Taurus Tracker, medium framed, 5 shot, ported revolver in 44 mag. I loaded 300gr XTPs in it. She could handle it just fine and the revolver makes sense to her. Autos are magic to her since you can't see what is going on inside them since she has no mechanical sense whatsoever. We practiced, mostly, with cast lead loads in 44 Special.
    Black bears are not that hard to kill or even run off,compared to moose or brown bears, so 5 shot capacity is not concerning to me.
    Most important for us was to get her to handle a bunch of guns to get her what fit her best and what she felt most comfortable with. Since we now live where the threats from wildlife less extreme, she has a Ruger LCR in 38 special, for her walks.

RonR likes this.
  16. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

"In most situations, a bear can reach you in less than 2 seconds if charging full speed." That is a terrifying statement that I picked up out of the article I linked above. Nothing is going to save you in that case. You would literally have to have the gun in hand at all times to even get the gun up and leveled.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I’ve been around bears numerous times. The only thing that is 100% certain is there’s nothing 100% certain. Could some bear encounters happen in 2 seconds, sure. Can some happen over a minute to two, absolutely. Not attempting to arm and protect yourself
    because you might lose the fight is a really bad strategy for bears and life in general. I’m not saying there aren’t several ways to go about this I’m just a proponent of being prepared to give you the best outcome possible. This goes for all aspects of life and life retention.

Side note
    A 1.5 second draw and shot fired is not that hard with practice.

sanee likes this.
  18. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

1.5 sec thats atleast 3 shots ;)

19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Interested to hear these reasons... I'd sure as hell want one on a sling if I was walking dogs (or whatever) in bear country. Sub2K in .40 ?

20. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

funny story a few months ago, was at the range doing my thing. Guy was passing by me asked if i was law enforcement, i chuckled and said no, then said i moved like one and left it as that. I said thanks and took it as a compliment but then questioned myself if he meant to say i was moving slow and sloppy haha

Phl218 and HPPT like this.