1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

Unwanted law enforcement engagement is the primary reason. We do live in the woods where apex predators roam, but we are still in a residential-ish area. We live in a free State where open carry is legal, but someone walking the streets with an "assault rifle" will still garner unwanted attention with the inevitable call to the Sherriff's office. There are plenty of videos online showing law enforcement officers violating their oath to uphold the constitution, resulting in bad outcomes.

upload_2023-6-19_20-16-2.jpeg

For now, it'll have to be +P, as Clay mentioned, in her current P365 XL. Its a trek to get to Phoenix where she can fondle several 1omm options.

Tristan likes this.
  2. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

get those underwood rounds

lizard84 likes this.
  3. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Maybe at a range, prepared to draw, without a dog leash in your hand, being 100% focused on what you need to do, reacting to a buzzer and not having a huge bear running at you at 30mph. If you all think you could react that quick and put rounds on target that is some next level John Wick shit.

Phl218 likes this.
  4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

You must be new here! This is the Wera Beeb. Need we say more? :Poke:

sanee, Sabre699, Phl218 and 1 other person like this.
  5. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

No what I think is I’m going to prepare to protect my life rather than site one specific encounter and decide it’s futile. Every bear encounter I’ve had which is 7 to 9 I would’ve been able to shoot the bear if necessary. I’m not trying to convince you to carry a gun and you’re certainly not going to convince me not to. Take care

6. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Here's to hoping for a slow bear.;)

But seriously, why give up being able to defend yourself at all because you might not be able to react in time? That's some seriously Lloyd Christmas level shit.

7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Pray and spray.

8. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I wasn't. I have no problem with carrying a gun, I do regularly. I was merely suggesting that in the aforementioned scenario of someones wife walking a dog and encountering a bear that it might make more sense to carry bear spray as you can openly carry that in your hand ready to go unlike a firearm, unless your intent is to draw lots of attention from others folks. 3 of us hiked into Katmia National Park in Alaska and spent 4 hours in a giant field with many brown bears within eyesight. At one point with the naked eye we could count more than 40 bears. Our guide only carried bear spray and had made the trip many times. The photos below were taken with an iphone x FYI.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

"I've banged dozens of hookers in Gary, IN only using the rhythm method for protection and my dick hasn't fallen off once"

10. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I'll trust my expert guide.

11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

With my .44 mag on my hip.

Photo and GixxerJohn011 like this.
  12. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

If that's your preference I'm ok with that. However, the exact scenario you have pictures of means there are no surprises coming and you'll have time to react whether packing heat or bear spray. For bear spray, the range is 20 to 30 feet. Guns have a little more range and you still have to aim either one.

13. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Exactly, the original poster was referencing his wife walking their dog, I just surmised that it would be a surprise attack. What I posted was just a anecdote from my personal experience. Nothing more.

14. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

The reason your guide doesn't carry a firearm is because he is in a National Park. We had to file for permits just to carry our unloaded rifles through a park on our way to a hunt on the other side. Pain in the rear.

pickled egg likes this.
  15. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Incorrect. He had the option and chose not.

"As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal and Alaska state law to legally possess firearms in Katmai National Park and Preserve."

https://www.nps.gov/katm/learn/management/firearms.htm

Saiyan66 likes this.
  16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I don't know if this stuff is effective on bears, but it's damn good gun cleaner and far cheaper than others I've tried.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009O97AQ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
    Bought some a couple months ago and was limited to 4 cans, just tried again yesterday and was able to buy 4 more. Just a cleaner, still need some lube after. No issues with eating any plastic parts.

17. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

The Gun Scrubber "Bear Attack Edition" comes with a matching Bic lighter:D

18. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Then in my opinion, he was stupid and was not taking professional responsibility for the safety of his clients. I, too, have spent many years in bear territory and would never willingly pass up being armed whenever possible when out and about. There were many times when it was not possible, but I didn't like it. If it is just black bears, I don't worry about it too much, but with a reasonable chance of brown bears I am always worried to one degree or another. Throw cubs in the mix and I worry about all of them. When being confronted by a brown bear was the only time I felt undergunned with a 1911 in 45ACP. I was able to gather up my friend and kids and back on out of there before she charged. However, the next week another fisherman on the same stretch of the Kenai River was attacked by probably the same bear and he killed her by emptying his Browning High Power 9mm into her from 20 yds or less.

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  19. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

Colt Stainless 1911 Government 45 ACP in a Galco VHS (Vertical Shoulder Holster) or a Galco "Concealable Belt Holster". 230gr FMJ's. Cocked and locked.

20. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

I stand corrected. Thanks for the update.