1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Bingo!

2. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Nope, we went one better in that we just added the metric bullet diameters into what we were already using. We now have .223, 6mm, 257, 6.5, 2.70, 7mm, .308, .311, 8mm, .338, .348, 9mm, .357, .366, .375, 10mm .429, .452,. 458, .50.
    This is a Great Country. We weren't bullied by them furriners, we just took their stuff too, cause we wanted it.

Motofun352 likes this.
  3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I didn’t know we were Chinese.

4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

That's a slanted view of things.

redtailracing likes this.
  5. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I see what you did there!

Sabre699 likes this.
  6. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I celebrated the yesterdays news today with the purchase of all the parts to build an Aero Precision EPC9 from my local gun dealer.
    They had no Aero Precision lowers in stock, so I went with a PSA lower, and a PSA drop in trigger. The rest is Aero Precision.
    Once it's done, she's gettin a red dot and will be right where I can get at it quickly and swiftly to deter or eliminate any threat to
    my Domestic Tranquility. It will also provide more points of contact for my Lady Friend if she needs it in an unfortunate situation.
    8 inch barrel so's as to have/need less room to pivot in a hallway, doorway, etc.

7. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Be careful, as your lady friend can now make a simple call and have all your pewpews taken away, with zero due process. One step forward, two steps back.

8. StaccatoFan

Not too worried about that.

ATF and other background checks are a piece of cake compared to the shit I deal with.

9. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

School me on…suppressors. I can come up with some BS reason to justify them but I just one because I think they’re cool. Not cool enough to by more than one and all of the other costs that come with it but a friend had one that was a Transformer. He had what I would call a quick connect on several guns and you could take out pieces of the suppressor depending on what you were shooting. He shot 9mm pistols up to a 308 with the same can.

Main duty for me would be on a short 5.56 AR but I’d like the ability to put it on a couple .22 pistols as well as an M&P 15-22P. Does such an animal exist? My Google-fu has me more confused than when I started.

10. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

My suggestion for .22 would be a dedicated suppressor that you can disassemble and clean.
    For your 5.56, get a .30caliber version that way you can move it up to anything 30caliber. (.308, .243, 6mm creedmore, 300blackout, etc..)

Silencer Shop is your friend: https://www.silencershop.com/
    They will walk you through the process: https://www.silencershop.com/how-to-buy-a-silencer

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  11. GixxerJohn011

Would you buy a dedicated.22 because it’s so dirty or because .22 and 5.56 don’t play well together? I’m trying to avoid turning this into a $2,000 ordeal but I think I know where this is going.

12. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

A 22 can tends to be much smaller than other cans and for 22 pistols it’s really way better. 223/5.56 is a bigger tougher animal so many people get a larger cal and adapt to many different calibers. If you call SilencerShop they are very helpful. I buy cans for each rifle I want to suppress but that does add up. Point of impact will usually change from no can to can installed so I install can and zero rifle and leave it there.

13. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

22lr cans simply don't require much. They can be very small, light weight, and do an awesome job. A 556/308 can requires soooo much more material to hold all that pressure. And yes, a 22 can requires cleaning. People do, but you really don't have to clean your rifle cans. All that pressure supposedly cleans them enough, plus some amount of dirty keeps them quieter.

And what everyone else said... Silencer shop.

The new eform are typically coming back at 150 days. My old paper version took 13 months. :(

14. StaccatoFan

My Canik Mete SFX arrived this week..did the paperwork and I'll take it home next weekend. Looking forward to it. That's one sexy 9mm.

15. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I was in the same boat. Then my local gun shop had a bunch of suppressors on massive discount, so I sacked up. Honestly, if you go to a place with a Silencer Shop Kiosk it would be even easier than what I did, because for me the hardest part was going to the sheriff's office downtown for my prints and pictures, which the kiosk does. The actual paperwork wasn't really worse than a 4473. And the shop is really interested in selling it to you, so they'll help you out as much a possible.

16. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

typically 22lr is dirty regardless of maker.

imo, @Clay and @RonR hilighted the other benefits of a different can for the 5.56/.223

17. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

The kiosk is really good but for me doing ffl part time the 4K to get it in my shop just isn’t worth it. But most shops will let you use theirs for 20 to 40 bucks.

18. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

yeah everyone is giving good info.
    22 dedicated then a 30cal for everything else (except bullets larger diameter than .30)

I have a 12 year old surefire 556 suppressor I've never cleaned... same with every other suppressor. It's really hard to buy just one and after you shoot with them.. It's tough to shoot unsuppressed ever again.

Use Ear pro shooting AR's suppressed. May not need them for bolt guns.

19. GixxerJohn011

That’s kind of what I’m figuring. My AR is a 10.5” barrel…it’s a touch on the loud side. I know if I’m ever in a defensive situation I’ll probably have a pistol on me, not the AR, but firing that thing in an enclosed space without ear protection doesn’t seem like a great idea plus figuring the difference in hold with or without a suppressor…sounds like I’m getting one dedicated for .22 duty and one for 5.56. Screw it, you can’t take it with you. I guess the wife will just get 2 purses instead of one.

20. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

This is my 12.5 SBR for day time. Swap out and put the thermal on once dark comes. Poverty pony lower and PSA hand guard but good bits on the internals, barrel, and trigger. I'm not kicking in doors so the bigger scope is nice to ID movement and ear hole them from farther. I'm going to try some grind hard 62 controlled chaos hopefully in 2 weeks and see how that does. It looks to be pretty nasty for some of the guys using it in Texas

[​IMG]