1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I just finished an AR-9 build a few weeks ago. PSA Lower and the rest is Aero Precision. I think it will shoot .40 and 9mm, but I'll stick to 9mm. Son and I shot it last weekend at an outdoor range, and it's just stupid fun. For an in home defensive situation, this may be my favorite option. OH and put a circle-dot Holosun red dot on it....Love that optic!

2. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Or go green, like a person who prefers green dots.

3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Green all the way. Wish my new scope had a green switch. Just red, it’s nice but green is just easier for me getting on target quicker

4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

No harm in green. Just personal preference.

britx303 likes this.
  5. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

When I dipped my toe into the rifle pond I decided to go with a PSA AR in 5.56 with a 10.5” barrel. It came as a kit and a friend had a spare Aero lower, I was off. I’ve been happy with it, it hasn’t had a failure yet, granted it’s only got about 500 rounds through it but I generally can’t gripe about it. At 50 yards it’s probably more accurate than I am at this point.

Then I watched a video on Criterion barrels and I feel like I need to throw it in the dumpster. Would you start over with a better build or replace a piece at a time making it better? What would you start with? Clearly I’m thinking a new barrel and BCG, would that be like putting race gas in a beater SV? Don’t upgrade the gun and buy more ammo? I kind of like taking things apart to tinker with them and learn more about them.

Edit…never mind, just had a boating accident.

6. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Buy more ammo.
    Pay for actual training.
    $0.02

In the interim, make a list of stuff YOU would like from gun #2..
    Not what you see on the youtubes.

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

What is your goal for the gun? A 10.5" barrel is not the foundation for a highly accurate gun, if that's what you're going for.

8. GixxerJohn011

I went with 10.5 thinking about a backpack gun, I’ve got a Law Tactical folder coming. It will be 99.99% range toy, .005 home defense, .005 backpack gun. Most of my shooting with it would be capped at 200 yards, I figure that’s probably the limit of a 10.5 “ anyway.

9. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Do you have an optic on the PSA gun?

10. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

In what capacity? That's a heavy firearm with heavy ammo and not very much stopping power. If we're talking predator defense, you may want to reconsider your caliber.

11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Funny story for the gun nuts on here... I had an "interesting" couple from Texas rent one of my Slingshots on July 4 for a half day. Returned with no issue. Next day, a renter tells me there's 2 full 9mm mags in one of the storage compartments. I know nothing about these things.... sure enough, a 37? round fully loaded mag and I think a 17 round. They were black plasticy material with Austria printed on them. I gave them to the cops. Who leaves something like that behind? Who in the hell needs a 12" long mag sticking out of their Glock?

12. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Out of their Glock? Kinda dumb in my opinion but people do it. That said, there are a lot of PCCs/sub guns (think more rifle type) out there that run on Glock mags. Wouldn't be surprised if they were intended to feed one of those. Makes a little more sense in that scenario.

britx303 and motion like this.
  13. GixxerJohn011

Yes, it came with a Holosun red dot and I’m putting a 3x magnifier on it probably tomorrow. I thought this would be kind of a budget build when I started but now I’m reconsidering. I am still trying to not go Mr tacticool and buy stuff that I think would be useful, not just because the guy on YouTube got paid to tell me how awesome it is. I’m trying to keep weight in mind too.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  14. GixxerJohn011

What else would you look at? I’m not a hunter, just putting holes in paper and maybe home defense. I thought about a PCC but I figured if I’m going to have something damn near rifle size I might as well have a rifle round. I know the ballistics aren’t the same as a 20” barrel but I figured it was better than 9mm.

15. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

you’re in Texas? 223 will be fine unless nilgai become predators

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  16. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Anybody interested, I just got my first shipment from Ammo squared. You pay weekly, bi-weekly, monthly however you set it up. They take that payment and put it towards ammo you select and and once hit hit your selected ammo count it ships directly to you. Kinda nice. I forgot about it being close to my count and then a week later, boom. Had a box full of ammo on my doorstep.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  17. GixxerJohn011

I ate some of that once, damn it was tasty!

18. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Why not contact the renter and see if they want their stuff back? Not like it was something illegal...

Saiyan66 and brex like this.
  19. brex

brex Well-Known Member

WTF does "need" have to do with any of it?

Sabre699 and StaccatoFan like this.
  20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Because they were sketchy as hell